Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Worse (and best) game of recent years?

Originally posted by Go Swannies
    Stay on topic. Start your own best and worse thread thread if you wish. Though this thread has lost my attention a bit since JF and friends decided that "recent years" is any time since the Swans last won a flag.
    Ok for them if they are old enough to recall back that far.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by cruiser
    Ok for them if they are old enough to recall back that far.
    But that last goal in our Premiership win was just awesome!!!

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Stay on topic. Start your own best and worse thread thread if you wish. Though this thread has lost my attention a bit since JF and friends decided that "recent years" is any time since the Swans last won a flag.
    Huh? Is the early 90s before your time Go Swannies? It sure ain't 1933. But we were incredibly crap in those days. And to be honest, didn't know much different.

I look back on those years with a tinge of fondness in a way. You would go to the games saying "What do you think it will be, 20, 30,40 (point loss)?"

and that win against Melbourne, man there were some tears that day. I recall the looks of dismay from the Demons Cheer Squad as several of us started bawling our eyes out at the end of the match. To win when you hadn't for 27 games was just an undescribable feeling, just overwhelming. It was like we had won a flag or something. In terms of how I lost the plot after a win, I only think the Essendon final saw me more delirious than that special day when Osborne kicked 10 and we downed the Dees.

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Veterans List
    Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
    and that win against Melbourne, man there were some tears that day. I recall the looks of dismay from the Demons Cheer Squad as several of us started bawling our eyes out at the end of the match. To win when you hadn't for 27 games was just an undescribable feeling, just overwhelming. It was like we had won a flag or something. In terms of how I lost the plot after a win, I only think the Essendon final saw me more delirious than that special day when Osborne kicked 10 and we downed the Dees.

JF
    See - that's why we follow the Swans: for the emotional rollercoaster. If felt like crying with frustration last Saturday and I may shed tears of relief if we beat the Lions.

i enjoyed the round 7 or 8 1987 clash against hawthorn at the scg! was on fox footy today what a rippa we had some champions then!

lost to fitzroy the next week
    Theres not much left to say

See - that's why we follow the Swans: for the emotional rollercoaster. If felt like crying with frustration last Saturday and I may shed tears of relief if we beat the Lions.
    Do you remember the match where you sat behind me in 2003. You said that we had the match and I said if you said that again, I'd rip your head off. Oops.

that is the most emotional I have been at the footy in years. Yes, I shed tears after that.Couldn't stop either, much to the shock of the old women in Lion ears in the bay to our left. Was just uncontrollable emotion. we had beaten the 2 time premiers twice in a season (in a cliffhanger and after a large deficit as well!) and I was just just overwhelmed by shock, happiness and tremendous pride. I had chanted and sung as loud as I possibly could. To bring them home and get a reward like that is the reason I follow football in the first place. Especially considering the efforts I had made in buying $70 worth of flag sticks just to ensure we had support at every away game.

I wouldn't trade the way I felt that afternoon for any emotion in the world. Purely and simply, I live for THAT feeling. That feeling is undescribable, the adrenalin flows through your veins so much that you often can;t sleep that night. Eve if you are DOG tired from all the cheering.

It is why I follow the football, to experience what I felt that day at the Gabba. I yearn for more on Saturday night!

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"

BLT Razzle Dazzle
    Worst: Fremantle 2001 I just remember so many players on both teams dropping simple chest marks.

Best: Richmond 1997 The first game I went to. It rained goals on that Friday night.

Most fun: St Kilda 2001 Luffy's last match. We got the big lead in the first half and then the rain came (and the hail). We're singing in the rain!
    We all dream of a team of BLTs!

most fun was pluggers last game at the scg against the crows..... i think thats the one
    Theres not much left to say

I wouldn't trade the way I felt that afternoon for any emotion in the world. Purely and simply, I live for THAT feeling. That feeling is undescribable, the adrenalin flows through your veins so much that you often can;t sleep that night. Eve if you are DOG tired from all the cheering.

It is why I follow the football, to experience what I felt that day at the Gabba. I yearn for more on Saturday night!

JF
    And man, did I certainly get it! And we celebrated 100 times more than we did in 2003 too!

JF
    Last edited by JF_Bay22_SCG; 12th April 2005 at 04:57 PM.

Veterans List
    And man, did I certainly get it! And we celebrated 100 times more than we did in 2003 too!

JF
    I'm with you there!!

In fact I have a hazy memory that I was with you there. I was still humming the song on the drive home. Great night - made better by the fact that the whole pub turned to watch every time we started singing again. Was there anyone out there who didn't get a rendition through our mobile phones?

And "Up there for Sydney" was fun, too.

Yep, two of the games I've enjoyed most have been at the Gabba. Would have been three in a row if Ball had kicked straight.

Would have been three in a row if Ball had kicked straight.
    As Hall lined up his winning shot at goal on Saturday night, I had a brief chilling flashback to Jason Ball's costly missed set shot at goal last year. In my euphoria as the ball sailed through for a goal, that flashback was forgotten until I read your post.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by cruiser
    As Hall lined up his winning shot at goal on Saturday night, I had a brief chilling flashback to Jason Ball's costly missed set shot at goal last year. In my euphoria as the ball sailed through for a goal, that flashback was forgotten until I read your post.
    The difference was Ball HAD to kick a goal to win, Hall HAD to kick a point at worst.
    In the same situation Ball woulda won the game on Sat Night.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast