Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What about our drafting, then?

On the Rookie List
    Melbourne teams are lucky in that they can afford to finish on the lower rungs of the ladder for several consecutive years -therefore obtaining a number of high draft picks- without compromising their fan base. St Kilda is an example of a team that is currently reaping the rewards of the draft system. We, on the other hand, can't afford not to make the finals every year, and certainly can't afford to finish last consistently because our fan base would suffer just too much. So in fairness to the club, we haven't really had the quality draft picks that other sides have had for a number of years.

Because short term success has been sought by the club in order to break into the code-saturated market up here, I also think we have had a tendancy to look for short term solutions to problem areas in the team, and our draft policy has consequently been compromised. I think that attitude is changing a little now, though.

Also, I saw in the SMH recently that the AFL is considering bringing in a system that allows the Swans first access to all NSW draft picks. Is this right? And does anyone know the status of that possible policy?

Re: What about our drafting, then?

Originally posted by sharp9

2002 Draft Sydney Games Total 25

(5) Jarrad McVeigh 22 games - we passed up
    (6) Salopek/Port
    (7) Mackie/Geelong
    (10) Laycock/Essendon
    (13) Schammer/Fremantle
    (19) Selwood/Brisbane
    (26) Rivers/Melbourne
    (32) Jericho/Adelaide
    I'd rather have McVeigh than Salopek, Laycock, Selwood and Jericho. Mackie and Schammer are a little ahead at this stage, but not drastically so. Rivers is a different type of player, albeit a very good one.

(34) Sean Dempster 2 Games - we passed up
    (37) Staker/Eagles
    (44) Corrie/Brisbane
    Meh. Staker is big but hasn't done anything to suggest that's any better than most big blokes who pick themselves based on their size. Corrie's a very good player, but from what I've seen the past two weeks so is Dempster.

(50) Josh Thewlis 1 Game - we passed up
    (53) Selwood/Eagles
    (56) Shirley/Adelaide
    (58) King/Collingwood
    We missed out with pick 50. It happens.

(64) Nick Malceski 0 Games - we passed up
    (66) Ferguson/Melbourne
    (70) Matthew Lokan/Collingwood
    (72) Brad Fisher/Carlton
    Fisher is the only player I've seen that I would be interested in having at Sydney. Give Malceski a chance before writing him off - he would have played before now if not for the knee injury.

2003 Draft Sydney Games Total 0

(16) Josh Willoughby - we passed up
    (20) Butler/Eagles
    (25) Miller/Hawthorn
    Pray tell, what does Harry Miller have that would solve any problem we have?

(29) Tim Schmidt - we passed up
    (33) Adcock/Brisbane
    (37) Roach/Richmond....(Father-Son??)
    (40) Sansbury/Kangaroos
    (44) Dyson/Essendon
    (46) Pettigrew/Port
    Roach was father son. A few handy players there, but way too early to call.

(47) Andrew Ericksen - we passed up
    (49) Logan/Brisbane
    (53) Jackson/Richmond
    (55) Sam Fisher/St. Kilda
    (58) Hudson/Adelaide
    Ben Hudson is already about 26 years old. We were looking for a young ruckman, not a middle-aged one. Daniel Jackson looks good, but he was a bottom-age pick and wouldn't have played in any team that was winning games last year.

(59) Matthew Davis - we passed up
    (60) Rowe/Collingwood
    (70) Hartigan/Richmond
    (72) DeLuca/Carlton
    (760 Raines/Richmond
    (61) Rischitelli/Brisbane
    With the exception of Hartigan and the possible exception of DeLuca, what a wonderful list of no-names. Rischitelli has played what, three or four games? This makes him inherently better than Davis how?

2004 Draft Sydney Games Total 0

(31) Jarred Moore - we passed up
    (33) Ackland/St. Kilda
    (45) Sherman/Brisbane
    (50) Attard/Brisbane
    (53) Taylor/Hawthorn
    (60) Thomas/Essendon
    (62) Egan/Geelong
    Ackland is irrelevent. We had already recruited a ruckman, and a better one than Ackland at that. None of the others had reviews from U18 football that were comparable to Moore.

In summary, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Unless your argument is a derivative of Footyhead's, whereby the club plays 18 or 19 year olds because they are 18 or 19 year olds, but retains the 'mediocre' tag.
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

This analysis shows just how decent the selections over the last couple of years have been.

Games played in their first couple of years are a fairly meaningless guide - has depended much more on our reasonable run with injuries and the consistency of our best 25-odd players.

Matthews has hardly pushed through vast numbers of young players - he has stated that playing more than 3-4 in the one side is a last resort.

Malthouse the same - the only reason he plays some of his @@@@@e younsters is that you have to field 22 each week.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    We've done OK - on the whole I'm happy with the ones we've drafted. The real problem is with the draft system itself, especially the priority picks. Good thing they're talking about rejigging it.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Wouldn't it be ironic if the clubs who whinged Sydney and Brisbane out of the so called over payments, namely the wobbles and bomb outs, finished bottom and second bottom and they changed the priority pick system.

Imagine the whinging.

We can only hope.

Essendon gets $500,000 free kick on Monday.

On the Rookie List
    Butler is one I would have at the Swans his debut year last year was awesome and bloody fair effort to get a crack in the Eagles midfield in his first year and loves a goal to
    Last edited by Dpw; 22nd April 2005 at 11:35 PM.

Originally posted by Legs Akimbo
    Maybe we need to do something drastic and swap a few of our 'better' players for draft picks acknowledging this will wreck the following season and result in a low ladder position. That would mean we get good picks in year 1 (from trading), probably even better picks in year 2 (from finishing last). Year 3 is consolidation and years 4 and 5 are proper tilts at the flag.
    so we'll trade and tank for a bunch of kids who will all be about 21yo when we have a "proper tilt" at the flag? Yay for 1993

I would offload...

Bolton
    O'Keefe
    Goodes
    MOL
    Tagh Kennelly
    Schnieder
    Crouch

I would offload...

Bolton
    O'Keefe
    Goodes
    MOL
    Tagh Kennelly
    Schnieder
    Crouch

Then again, maybe no one would want them.
    I'm so glad that you are NOT in charge of looking after trades etc. at the Sydney Swans.
    If we traded Goodes, there would be more than a few people who would tear up their membership.

All the players you also mentioned would definately get picked up by another club.
    Swannies for life!

Can't you guys tell a satire when you see one? Surely this bit -

Melbourne have been the masters of up and down years which is the best way to breed a confident and talented player group.
    - gives it away?
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

Originally posted by Charlie
    Can't you guys tell a satire when you see one? Surely this bit - Melbourne have been the masters of up and down years which is the best way to breed a confident and talented player group.
    - gives it away?
    satires? i much prefer tragedies myself - like the Collingwood (11th) vs Essendon (16th) game

Originally posted by dendol
    so we'll trade and tank for a bunch of kids who will all be about 21yo when we have a "proper tilt" at the flag? Yay for 1993

I was taking the p1ss somewhat. The grain of truth is that the club could be more willing to turn players over rather than let them rot in the magoos, thrashing 3rd grade country teams by 200 points.

Roos is always talking about how we are a team of work-horses. Is this because:

i. This is what he wants - an even team of working class players and will draft accordingly - keep the average players, finish lower eight, draft some more. The fact that he talks about someone from within the group becoming the next elite player strikes me ludicrous - and I think he knows this. Look around, most champions are born with the physical and mental equipment to dominate. I cannot see anyone on our list blossoming into a future legend of the game.

ii. He doesn't want it, but is restricted by the need to keep the team in the top half of the competition to keep the fickle Sydney supporter base from going to watch the bum sniffers instead. Outcome - Roos has no job.

I think given the freedom and personal job security, Roos would love to take a riskier more ambitious trading route but cannot because of the supposed fickle nature of the sydney support base and RC's very obvious intolerance for failure. Which raises another interesting question about how one defines 'failure.'

In summary, under current draft rules and club philosophy:

At the bottom, you can only go up
    In the middle, you can only go sideways

But then maybe I am taking the p1ss again.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

I was taking the p1ss somewhat. The grain of truth is that the club could be more willing to turn players over rather than let them rot in the magoos, thrashing 3rd grade country teams by 200 points.

Roos is always talking about how we are a team of work-horses. Is this because:

i. This is what he wants - an even team of working class players and will draft accordingly - keep the average players, finish lower eight, draft some more. The fact that he talks about someone from within the group becoming the next elite player strikes me ludicrous - and I think he knows this. Look around, most champions are born with the physical and mental equipment to dominate. I cannot see anyone on our list blossoming into a future legend of the game.

ii. He doesn't want it, but is restricted by the need to keep the team in the top half of the competition to keep the fickle Sydney supporter base from going to watch the bum sniffers instead. Outcome - Roos has no job.

I think given the freedom and personal job security, Roos would love to take a riskier more ambitious trading route but cannot because of the supposed fickle nature of the sydney support base and RC's very obvious intolerance for failure. Which raises another interesting question about how one defines 'failure.'

In summary, under current draft rules and club philosophy:

At the bottom, you can only go up
    In the middle, you can only go sideways

But then maybe I am taking the p1ss again.
    hello footyhead
    Visit my eBay store -

10% off for mentioning RWO when you buy. Great Christmas presents!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast