Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Midaro's Weekly LRT thread

Originally posted by RogueSwan
    Ahhh, the X-files still continue, thanks Mulder .
    Well, we're not playing him because of his fnckin' skills, I'll give you the hot tip.

Putting LRT in the forward line is like us choosing to have two men on Barry Hall since LRT can be pretty much ignored.

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by RogueSwan
    Ahhh, the X-files still continue, thanks Mulder .
    The fact is, that if LRT was from Port Melbourne or Port Adelaide or Fremantle, and had played Aussie rules from childhood, he wouldn't be on a list.

Senior AFL level is no place to be learning the basics of the sport - and he doesn't seem to be anyway.

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by midaro
    The fact is, that if LRT was from Port Melbourne or Port Adelaide or Fremantle, and had played Aussie rules from childhood, he wouldn't be on a list.

Senior AFL level is no place to be learning the basics of the sport - and he doesn't seem to be anyway.
    There are a handful of tall, very athletic, ex-rugby players (and very recent recruits to AFL) now on lists. It is not just the Swans who have taken the gamble. The Bulldogs even used their no 6 pick on one in last year's draft (Tom Williams).

I still hold out some hope for LRT but I think he needs to be given a position to learn and left there for an extended period. If Roos isn't confident enough to let him do that at senior level he needs to do it at reserves level. I realise that the injuries to Ball and Doyle forced Roos had a bit at the weekend but even before that he seemed to have started second-guessing his claim that LRT is a CHB in training.

One of the problems with the Canberra league is that most of our developing talls land up playing in the forward line because if they played in defence all they would get is a sun-tan.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I do hold some hope for him yet also. I'd like to see (if possible) him move between a HBF and BP dependent on matchups. Demons fans want Rivers to be their star CHB, but they seem to line Bizzell (sp? can't be arsed looking it up) up there more often and are giving Rivers the chance to develop.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by stellation
    I do hold some hope for him yet also. I'd like to see (if possible) him move between a HBF and BP dependent on matchups. Demons fans want Rivers to be their star CHB, but they seem to line Bizzell (sp? can't be arsed looking it up) up there more often and are giving Rivers the chance to develop.
    I don't think named positions matter that much. So I pretty much agree with you - if he's going to be a defender and isn't ready to take on the biggest and the best, give him the third tall forward and leave him there.

I'd love to see him play on Hansen this week. Hansen has had an incredible start to the year but is still a novice. He is a very athletic tall and needs someone who can run with him. That is what we are told LRT's main attribute is. Even if he gets spanked he will learn a thing or two.

The ruck shortages may put pay to all that of course.

Blog Entries
    As much as it would break the Lobster's heart, I'd like to see LRT stay in the side for the WCE game. He didn't have a great game on Saturday night, but it looked like Roosy was lost with what to do with him (which is a double lost if you factor in LRT's built-in lost factor). I guess it would be safe to say that LRT was going to take Miller going by the quick interchange after Miller lined up on Hall? Didn't really get a chance to do anything in the part of the ground they have been grooming him for.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline

Blog Entries
    He has not got it. Sorry, thanks for your time Lewis but I am afraid you will have to move on. Really, for all this talk of potential and grooming and development, what would he be worth on the open market? Is there a single club that would take him? I doubt that he would get picked up by a VFL, SAFL or WAFL club. The club is wasting his time, and its time, playing him. It is not going to happen. As much as it would make for a wonderful story - Sydney private schoolboy comes good in the AFL - LRT wont come good. Henry Playfair went to Shore I think. Let's try and get him back...

The club would be better off naming Sanecow at CHB this week and saving on the airfare...

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by ROK Lobster

The club would be better off naming Sanecow at CHB this week and saving on the airfare...
    I guess the cow at CHB would be okay, but only for one week. He has a touch of the Jon Browns about him and I'd wager on a suspension.

But back to LRT- I'm not saying he is the saviour, but I don't particuarly agree with the sink or swim approach that Roos seems to take with his younger tall defenders.

Originally posted by stellation

But back to LRT- I'm not saying he is the saviour, but I don't particuarly agree with the sink or swim approach that Roos seems to take with his younger tall defenders.
    We have absolutely no @@@@ing idea on how to nurture and develop young tall players. If Playfair was drafted by us, his fate would likely be no different than what we have seen of LRT today. LRT did show promise in his first year and it had been all down hill since.

This problem is directly linked to the culture of this club. All of our decent talls at the moment, were not developed from within. The last decent one we were able to discover is Dunkley. If Mooney and Carey were picked up initially by any other club, their fates might have been different.

Perhaps, since we dont know how to develop them, we incline to draft them. There is no young tall in our list after LRT at the moment. If the LRT experiment fails, we should be looking for:
    1. A trade to get a tall from somewhere else.
    2. At least another five year before we could see a home-grown decent tall.

Neither of the options are appealing to me. The pattern is balistically disappointing.

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by Newbie

This problem is directly linked to the culture of this club. All of our decent talls at the moment, were not developed from within. The last decent one we were able to discover is Dunkley. If Mooney and Carey were picked up initially by any other club, their fates might have been different.

What exactly is the "culture" of the club and how does it contribute to a failure to develop any quality young talls? Are you saying it is to blame for career ending injuries to Carey, Mooney (yes, both were physically gone before they left the club), Fitzgerald and probably (soon) James and maybe Doyle?

I might buy an argument that there is a lack of knowledge of how to nuture a young tall's body - although that would be speculation only - but am fascinated on how this mythical "culture" is to blame.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Originally posted by ScottH
    It is about time LRT got dropped, he did nothing last night. Nothing!

The biggest nothing was Robertsons screamer he just floated across the front and missed the whole thing.
    With everyone's golden boy Dempster the launching pad
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

On the Rookie List LittleSchneider's Avatar
    I would have to agree the LRT hasnt got what it takes - especially at CHB.

But, all this talk of changing the team week in week out with multiple changes may not be the answer. A team needs to time to knit together and work combinations etc. If we continue to chop and change the personal no one will settle and everyone will be more afraid of making mistakes and getting dropped than attacking the footy and concentrating on winning games.

It doesnt take a genius to work out that the Swans have no flow in their game at the moment - and maybe this could be contributing to that fact.

Personally - I think we need to let the younger ones settle and play their own game and the older ones to step up (obviously) but chopping and changing is not the answer.
    And the man who started it, the Schneiderman, can kick his third for the quarter. And the swans are in the Grand Final!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast