Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: AFL Response to MJ Fifty

AFL Response to MJ Fifty

From Australian Associated Press this afternoon ...

SYDNEY, May 8 AAP - The AFL has moved swiftly to stop any debate on sledging after Essendon's Mark Johnson was wrongly slapped with a 50m penalty for calling Sydney's Amon Buchanan a "weak dog".

The incident occurred midway through the tense final quarter of the Swans' narrow win over the Bombers at Telstra Stadium at Saturday night, 13.16 (94) to 14.4 (88).

Johnson had been penalised for a tackle on Buchanan on the back edge of the centre square and the young Swan stayed down after being accidentally poked in the eye.

A furious Johnson stood over Buchanan, told him to get up and called him a "weak dog" for staying on the ground.

With the match in the balance, umpire Martin Ellis imposed a 50m penalty after telling an astonished Johnson: "You can't call a player a weak dog".

Buchanan kicked a point from the resulting play.

The AFL today reacted quickly to Ellis's decision and said he had blundered despite umpires being allowed to award a 50m penalty for players abusing opponents.

"The umpiring department met this morning and deemed it was a mistake and it should not have been a 50m penalty," an AFL spokesman said.

Bombers coach Kevin Sheedy was bemused by the decision, assuming that Johnson must have sworn at Buchanan.

The four-time premiership-winning coach felt that even swearing shouldn't have resulted in a 50m penalty.

"You would not want to give a free kick for every time a person swears on the footy field, they are not at the nuns' convent if you understand what I am saying," he said.

"We don't want to take our game to the nuns' convent so as far as I am concerned there are areas of the game which need to be looked at."

Sheedy couldn't help delivering a cheeky dig at the AFL for the incident.

"At the end of the week, it has been an ugly week for the AFL and for Sydney, so maybe it was a nice present," he quipped.
    Time to make EFC a meritocracy, not a mediocracy

The Fourth Captain Schneiderman's Avatar

Re: AFL Response to MJ Fifty

Originally posted by hird_god
    With the match in the balance, umpire Martin Ellis imposed a 50m penalty after telling an astonished Johnson: "You can't call a player a weak dog".
    I just enjoyed the look of utter amazement on his face. Have always thought he was a bit of a showboat, so the penalty had me in stitches (even though it shouldn't have been paid).

Warming the Bench
    WEAK DOG IS ONE OF THE WORST SLURS THAT CAN BE USED,ESPECIALLY TO A PERSON INVOLVED IN A CONTACT SPORT,IT QUESTIONS THE INTEGRITY OF A PLAYER.I BELIEVE IT WAS A CORRECT DECISION.
    MANY PLAYERS WOULD RATHER BE SUBJECTED TO ALL THE SWEAR WORD KNOWN THAN TO CALLED A WEAK DOG.
    I THINK JOHNSON SHOULD APOLOGISE AND THOSE WHO DEFEND HIS COMMENTS OBVIOUSLY HAVE LED A VERY SHELTERD LIFE AND DON'T REALL Y UNDERSTAND WHAT IT MEANS.IF YOU SAID THIS INSIDE A JAIL YOU WOULD NEED TO BE READY FOR A FIGHT OR EVEN STABBED
    forgotten 1996
    2005 a much sweeter memory,2012 even better

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Schneiderman
    I just enjoyed the look of utter amazement on his face.
    Classic, look !!!!!

Made up for a few crap decisions earlier.

Blog Entries

'Weak dog' penalty wrong - AFL

'Weak dog' penalty wrong - AFL
    Former Carlton coach David Parkin blamed the use of microphones on umpires for the furore, believing it had caused umpires to be extremely conscious of comments being broadcast.

On the Rookie List
    It makes up for the 50m penalty that should have been awarded to Leo after that butt-munch Lloyd rode him into the turf with his hands around Leo's head (AFTER Leo took the grab). He should be cited for that one imo.

Meh. Craig Bolton would have been laughing his head off.
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

On the Rookie List
    That is an outrage!

"Weak Dog"!?! What kind of a poor insult is that? What does it mean? Don't these football players get any kind of education. I demand better insults! He deserved a 50 for that howler...

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Wil
    That is an outrage!

"Weak Dog"!?! What kind of a poor insult is that? What does it mean? Don't these football players get any kind of education. I demand better insults! He deserved a 50 for that howler...

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The umpire apparently sanitised the comment because he knew his words were being televised.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    I was the first to comment on that interesting decision in the match day thread, but I'll add a few notes here.

The look on MJ's face was priceless. It was so wonderful that Channel 10 replayed the closeup twice just for the facial expression.

The channel 10 telecast had the umpire saying that MJ can't call his opponent a "weak dog", but Channel 10 made several comments along the lines that the actual language used by MJ was stronger than that and that they could not repeat what he actually said (it wasn't very audible on the telecast so I didn't catch it). The impression I got was that some form of expletive was used.

I agree that the decision was soft, as a minimum he should have got a warning first. However, if the expletive theory is correct, then perhaps the umpire was making sure that further on-field expletives didn't get broadcast.

There were other interesting umpiring decisions (the one that I remember was a Swans player getting pinged for holding the ball with an opponent reaching for the ball over his shoulder while sitting on his back).
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Originally posted by Thunder Shaker
    There were other interesting umpiring decisions (the one that I remember was a Swans player getting pinged for holding the ball with an opponent reaching for the ball over his shoulder while sitting on his back).
    That was either LRT or Bevan (can't recall but I think the former). On the ground and clearly dragged it in. Was in a tough position and a Tim Lane noted couldn't really get it out with someone lying on him and with a high tackle. However, dragging the ball in will nearly always get pinged first before the other infringements.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast