Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ladder so far

The ladder so far

Who'd have predicted that at this stage of the season, Brisbane, Port, St Kilda and Sydney would be where they are? And then there's Adelaide and Richmond up in the top 4. Very interesting season.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Veteran Site Admin

Re: The ladder so far

Originally posted by cruiser
    Who'd have predicted that at this stage of the season, Brisbane, Port, St Kilda and Sydney would be where they are? And then there's Adelaide and Richmond up in the top 4. Very interesting season.
    Richmond are an interesting case. Maybe they have genuinely improved but they have been at least 4-4 at this stage of the season for each of the past 3 seasons before slumping into a hole (and were 6-2 a couple of years ago). In light of this I thought it was amusing to hear Nathan Brown start to talk about a top four position and home final already!

I don't think Nathan Brown is too cluey.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Football Terrorist
    For Richmond, it's only a matter of time before they fall over. It happens every year.
    The Destructive Dan Experience - Featuring Teal.
    Add me on Facebook - Danny Pinsuti (Except Suzi Olsen and her split personalities.)
    238 AFL Games.

Banned indefinitely by Moderators for posting totally inappropriate material

Re: Re: The ladder so far

Originally posted by liz
    Richmond are an interesting case. Maybe they have genuinely improved but they have been at least 4-4 at this stage of the season for each of the past 3 seasons before slumping into a hole (and were 6-2 a couple of years ago). In light of this I thought it was amusing to hear Nathan Brown start to talk about a top four position and home final already!
    Richmond sure know how to get ahead of themselves, that's for sure.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Originally posted by Destructive
    For Richmond, it's only a matter of time before they fall over. It happens every year.
    True, they've been doing well at this stage of the season and then fallen in a heap after round 8.
    2004 - 4-4, then lost their last 14 games
    2003 - 6-2, then won only one of their next 14 games

I don't believe Richmond will fall in a heap this year. They've now got a decent coach and the players are enjoying their footy. They may drop away in form, but not as spectacularly as bad seasons. I expect them to win about 7 of their last 14 home and away games to finish with 13 wins.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

I think Richmond are different this year, but time will tell. However, the Roos are once again proving themselves to be April premiers.

The interesting season continued today with Collingwood defeating West Coast. Its good to see that the Eagles are beatable. I think the premiership contenders field is wide open.
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Richmond have always had a reasonably decent list, just never able to put it together. Seems like they are doing so under Wallace. This is their best start to rd 9 since 1995, when they finished third and made the preliminary finals.

Still, as I said before, Brown is a bit of an idiot and his comments further support that view.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Richmond will make the finals. I think the Richmond side of 2005 are similar to the Swans side of 1996 - a list with several high draft picks, and willing to play for a new coach. If the Tigers do make the finals, good luck to them - they have only made the finals twice since they lost the 1982 Grand Final.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Brown may be an idiot, but he is a bloody good footballer. And Richardson with his confidence up is the most destructive forward in the AFL, bar none. I think their midfield is performing well, perhaps their defence may be the potential weak link. But I wouldn't presume a collapse is inevitable. I didn't want Wallace for us, and I still wouldn't have him, but something is going right at Richmond at the moment.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by cruiser
    The interesting season continued today with Collingwood defeating West Coast. Its good to see that the Eagles are beatable. I think the premiership contenders field is wide open.
    Getting even more interesting with 3 successive wins for the Swannies. 3 of our losses came at the hands of clubs struggling to find form. Not that we're setting the world on fire, but the last 3 rounds there has been steady improvement.

A good win next week against St. Kilda could see us in the top 4 with building confidence. At that point I don't know that many clubs would be excited to see us on their fixture.

Originally posted by FootyontheBrain
    Getting even more interesting with 3 successive wins for the Swannies. 3 of our losses came at the hands of clubs struggling to find form. Not that we're setting the world on fire, but the last 3 rounds there has been steady improvement.

A good win next week against St. Kilda could see us in the top 4 with building confidence. At that point I don't know that many clubs would be excited to see us on their fixture.
    I thoroughly agree.
    If u don't believe me, I will knock your bloody teeth out and not pay you a cent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast