Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Roos latest - gameplan wont change

Blog Entries
    With this Saturday's opponents Carlton playing a similar shut down style the game threatens to be a hideous spectacle.
    As Barry says, the skills were better the three games prior. The opposition was a lot worse. There was less pressure. The gameplan is boring. The gameplan is ugly. The gameplan falls apart against good teams. The gameplan is predictable. I expect us to win on Sat, probably in a tight 'gritty' match against a side we should really touch up if we are going to be a contender. Paul "it's not my fault" Roos needs to take some responsibility while he still has the respect of the majority of the players, the majority of the fans, and the club executive.

The Fourth Captain Schneiderman's Avatar
    Originally posted by Newbie
    NO PLAYER COULD HAVE DEVELOPED SKILLS with that game plan. I repeat, NO PLAYER COULD HAVE DONE SO. No, I dont blame the game plan for the ugly spectacle but I do blame the game plan for its destructive impact on the basic skills of our players.
    Because you assume its the "GAMEPLAN" that is to blame. Of course, noone here actually KNOWS the "GAMEPLAN", because its not written on those little cards we get as Members.

The Coach comes out and says: Its the skill errors
    The Captain comes out and says: Its the skill errors
    The supporters can clearly see: Its the skill errors

But the "GAMEPLAN" caused those errors? Doubt it. I think it was the players that caused them, and obviously they are working to recitify it.

The Fourth Captain Schneiderman's Avatar
    Originally posted by ROK Lobster
    Paul "it's not my fault" Roos needs to take some responsibility while he still has the respect of the majority of the players, the majority of the fans, and the club executive.
    http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.as...ticleid=206334

Roos admitted he often debated aspects of their game plan, but that having "41 possessions out of the 225 that didn?t hit their target or went to the opposition" made it impossible to win the game.
    I suppose he should throw himself on his sword instead? That would make us play much better the next week? Honestly some people on this forum have never had to manage a large group of people through a difficult project, task or job. Its not as simple as standing up as coach and saying your sorry.

Originally posted by Schneiderman
    Give Roos a break! After one full year of footy, you can hardly expect these players to be super-stars. Otherwise they would have gone much higher on the draft.
    They do not have to be super stars. It is not the point. The point is none of them has progressed. Schneider is playing worse than he did in 2003, Bevan this year is worse than Bevan of last year. McVeigh has not developed. Even Craig Bolton and Nick Davis. I noticed their skills are getting lousy by every game. Davis goal kicking which was a feature of his game when he joined us. This year, he has been very inaccurate. Bolton basic skills are getting worse if you keep a watch on him.

They all get worse after playing so many matches with that sh&%% STYLE of play. If it is not enough to convince anyone then I dont know what else could?

Originally posted by Schneiderman
    Good on you Paul.

Its not the gameplan, its the execution.
    Given it's not working with the guys and their skill level, perhaps it's time to change the game plan to suit the players.
    I'm yet to see a single "coach" on RWO come up with a truly better one.
    You mean nothing better than locking the ball up and forcing stoppage after stoppage? I think some suggestions have been better than that.
    The best we have to offer is "insightful" changes to the team, that are based as much on wishful thinking as blind optimism.
    Yep - let's just sit back and assume they all have a master plan that has alluded everyone...
    Include this article in your thinking readers, and maybe you will start to see that its not just Roos who thinks this way:

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/r...305621651.html
    As if any of the players will blame the coach - instead they will blame the amorphous player group. The skills are terrible, there's no doubting it, but the game plan really doesn't seem to suit the current players.

Let's note in the 3 games we won we kicked just 35 goals, against teams outside the eight, so hardly an amazing performance to hang your hat on.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by NMWBloods

You mean nothing better than locking the ball up and forcing stoppage after stoppage? I think some suggestions have been better than that.
    That comment highlights the problem with the whole gameplan debate because as I'm sure you know, that's not part of the gameplan. As Roos said, if you have a Judd in the midfield you don't have 3 stoppages because he clears it at the first one.

Let's note in the 3 games we won we kicked just 35 goals, against teams outside the eight, so hardly an amazing performance to hang your hat on.
    Our skills were very ordinary in those games as well. If we had actually played well we would have scored more points.

That's another issue with the gameplan debate. We have been very ordinary this season in terms of skills and decision making and yet we are 5-5. Maybe the gameplan is actually excellent. 5-5 is an awesome record for a team that has quite possibly been the worst in the AFL - I can't think of anyone who has shown worse skills than us.

I'm obviously being a bit argumentative with those comments but IMHO the gameplan is not our problem - it doesn't matter what our gameplan is until we can hit targets by hand and foot. On Saturday there were very few players who could do that.

Veterans List

Re: shifting responsibility..

Originally posted by Guzzitza
    is it just me, or does this comment seem like hes trying to shirk responsiblity back on to the players, ie. suggesting that really, as coach he doesnt have much of an influence over the game..
    if so, thats worrying.

And agree with you Mike_B, Roos cant consistently spurt out these excuses and then not doing anything about it! Hes been saying this crap all season - surely if we dont have talent in the midfield then we should be trying to blood some younger guys in there to see if they can step up to the task. I realise that this has sort of been happening with Schneider and McVeigh, but really if hes going to be serious about it, he has to give more gametime to McVeigh and accept that Schneider is best suited as a forward crumber. Time to give Moore MORE gametime, he looked promising. Spriggs looked to be a failure, so who does that leave? I cant comment on others in the reserves as Ive not seen them play, but surely there are some potentials there that aren't injured??
    Guzz how many times do you need to be told, we don't have forward crumbers. They are either wing crumbers or back pocket crumbers who on the very rare occasion sneak a goal, or in Buchanan's case, sneak a behind or out of bounds on the full.

Veterans List
    Ben Mathews and inside player. Oh Pleeeese.

If Willoughby is fit then he deserves a run. He must surely offer us more than Ben Matthews.

I think we are also missing Fosdike. Once he's fit again he will definitely get a run.

Would also like to see Moore kept in seniors - he obviously knows how to play footy.
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

On the Rookie List

Re: Re: shifting responsibility..

Originally posted by Nico
    Guzz how many times do you need to be told, we don't have forward crumbers. They are either wing crumbers or back pocket crumbers who on the very rare occasion sneak a goal, or in Buchanan's case, sneak a behind or out of bounds on the full.
    I've been told nothing!!!!!! BAH!..

and Schneiderman... your posts are as frustrating as watching us play at the moment. As it has been suggested, if your team isnt suited to the style of play, then change the style. Roos is complaing of ineffective handballs etc. Dont shut down the ball and then you dont have to rely on having Judd getting the ball and giving that unbelievable first time posession. Kick long to tall men rather than work it up the wings via inaccurate handballing and rolling mauls.
    Also, maybe you havent been reading the other threads currently active, there is plenty of well thought out analysis going on regarding where and how we can improve our game. It is also true that the game plan is blindingly obvious. To everyone! There is no secret about what Roos is trying to accomplish with the style of play.
    I'm Flyin' High...

Blog Entries

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by ROK Lobster
    Schneiderman
    AHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAH oh dear.. laughing out loud... great stuff
    I'm Flyin' High...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast