Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Check Side

On the Rookie List

Check Side

Just watched teh replay of last weekend's match, and I've noticed we're kicking a lot of goals check side.

Normally, no big deal, but I noticed it last week to from Bazza and this week Monty and Bazza both kicked goals checkside where it wasn't necessary, but in the end was the right choice.

Just curious if this is something the forwards have been doing in their training or if I'm just over analyzing things. Personally, I think it speaks highly of their confidence level, and the fact the coaching staff doesn't seem to be discouraging it I think is a good thing. I love to see this sort of creativity in front of the goals, and this confidence and creativity couldn't be hitting our forwards at a better time.

On the Rookie List

Re: Check Side

Originally posted by FootyontheBrain
    Just watched teh replay of last weekend's match, and I've noticed we're kicking a lot of goals check side.

Normally, no big deal, but I noticed it last week to from Bazza and this week Monty and Bazza both kicked goals checkside where it wasn't necessary, but in the end was the right choice.

Just curious if this is something the forwards have been doing in their training or if I'm just over analyzing things. Personally, I think it speaks highly of their confidence level, and the fact the coaching staff doesn't seem to be discouraging it I think is a good thing. I love to see this sort of creativity in front of the goals, and this confidence and creativity couldn't be hitting our forwards at a better time.
    LRT needs a lesson!

Re: Re: Check Side

Originally posted by TheHood
    LRT needs a lesson!
    Let him learn to kick a conventional drop punt with consistency before we worry him with checksides!

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

On the Rookie List

Re: Re: Re: Check Side

Originally posted by Mike_B
    Let him learn to kick a conventional drop punt with consistency before we worry him with checksides!
    Left brain or right brain. Give him time and he will use the wrong one.

Kicked a long range goal in his first game but looked aweful in front of the sticks last week.

The Fourth Captain Schneiderman's Avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Check Side

Originally posted by TheHood
    Kicked a long range goal in his first game but looked aweful in front of the sticks last week.
    ... or with the ball in hand for that matter.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Yet another thread hijacked by LRT comments!

FOTB, I didn't notice Bazza do it (too many cans probably) but Monty's was quite nice.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

The Fourth Captain Schneiderman's Avatar
    Originally posted by RogueSwan
    FOTB, I didn't notice Bazza do it (too many cans probably) but Monty's was quite nice.
    And he did TWO. One over the shoulder, and one after the unexpected handball from Monty right in front of goal.

Bazza did one in the pre-game from the 50m arc, I think it was his last kick. It looked like it just missed and dropped at about the line, pretty impressive trick kick though.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Re: Check Side

What is check side? It's obviously a Rugby or Soccer term as I've never heard of it before!
    CHER - Who has two types of blood cells "RED ones and WHITE ones"

Re: Re: Check Side

Originally posted by Cher
    What is check side? It's obviously a Rugby or Soccer term as I've never heard of it before!
    Yeah, "Banana" is a better term.
    Swannies for life!

Thanks Matt I do know what a banana kick is!
    CHER - Who has two types of blood cells "RED ones and WHITE ones"

On the Rookie List
    Providing you have the skill and it's the right option go ahead. Checkside is the South Aussie term for banana more commonly used here. Davis also kicked one on the run.
    LIFE GOES ON

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast