Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Check Side

On the Rookie List
    Umm, isnt "checkside" done on the opposite side of the boot from a "banana"?? I am sure they are different...

EDIT: To further show the difference... a check side is more a tight angle off the "side" of your boot while a banana kick is a higher slice type kick using the spin of the ball to gradually curl towards goals.
    Last edited by Wil; 19th July 2005 at 07:37 PM.

On the Rookie List

Re: Re: Check Side

Originally posted by Cher
    What is check side? It's obviously a Rugby or Soccer term as I've never heard of it before!
    A Checkside is off the outside of the boot, usually used by a right footer deep in the right pocket to bend one back through the sticks

A Banana is off the inside of the foot. Neither are terribly accurate at hitting a target around the ground, but are useful when shooting from close tange on an angle. Probably better just to get yourself a left foot...
    - Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in a world they've been given, than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact, it's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration, it's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing!

Re: Re: Check Side

Originally posted by Cher
    What is check side? It's obviously a Rugby or Soccer term as I've never heard of it before!
    The following definition is from the BankSA website. Also mentions other weird stuff like Stobie Poles and Stump Jump Ploughs.

CHECKSIDE PUNT

The ?checkside punt? is an emphatically South Australian term. Used to describe a kick in Australian Rules football, the checkside punt permits a player to bend the trajectory of a kicked football against its normal direction.

Other terms for the checkside punt include ?checkside kick?, ?back screwie? and ?banana or boomerang kick?.

The checkside punt had been part of the training designed by Jack Oatey, one-time coach of the Sturt Football Club. Oatey developed a style of football where finesse, skill and technique were promoted as well as physical strength.

In the 1968 Grand Final between Port Adelaide and Sturt, Peter Endersbee kicked a checkside punt, not once but twice, within a few minutes, kicking two goals for Sturt. The press noted: ?Port was suddenly and dramatically arrested by two magnificent checkside punt goals from Peter Endersbee?.

As a consequence, Jack Oatey?s innovative approach to football with his emphasis on combining athletic prowess with skill and technique in training has been widely recognised.

Re: Re: Re: Check Side

Originally posted by motorace_182
    A Checkside is off the outside of the boot, usually used by a right footer deep in the right pocket to bend one back through the sticks

A Banana is off the inside of the foot. Neither are terribly accurate at hitting a target around the ground, but are useful when shooting from close tange on an angle. Probably better just to get yourself a left foot...
    Um Noooooooo

A banana kick is the same as a check side.

Check side is the SA term. Never used to describe any type of kick in any game of footy I played or watched prior to the introduction of genuine state of origin, between Vic & SA.

Only grew legs as a definition for a kick cause bloody Ch7 had Sandy Roberts (SA expat) who never tired of referring to the kick as a bloody "check side". Was, is, and always has been a banana kick!!!

Got no idea what a kick of the inside of the boot is called, but it aint a "banana".

Dr J is correct.

Most players kick bananas because they can't kick wrong foot. Commentators rave about how skillful their boomerangs/checksides are, but I think it illustrates the lack of a basic skill in football.

BTW - A kick off the inside of the foot is called a mis-kick if you plan for it to go in the same direction as the foot you used. Otherwise using the inside of the foot is simply kicking around the corner, which too many players do these days instead of straightening up.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

On the Rookie List
    Good point about players not being dual-sided employing the banana. I've seen it a lot, quite often big men are culprits for whatever reason.
    LIFE GOES ON

Originally posted by NMWBloods
    Dr J is correct.

Most players kick bananas because they can't kick wrong foot.
    Spot on. It always makes me shudder to see Bazza or MOL try to screw the ball with the outside of the boot, especially from set shots.

If it's close range, kick with the other foot. If it's long range just kick it straight.

How many times did you see Plugger kick a banana shot?

On the Rookie List
    Interesting, the history lesson here. Having come to the game only 8 years ago, I always thought the check side was off the outside and a banana was off the inside or as some have said around the corner.

You can talk about the fundamentals of using both sides of one body, but I would suggest both options have a place in today's game, and it's good to see our guys doing it well.

Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Re: Check Side

Originally posted by Doctor J.
    Got no idea what a kick of the inside of the boot is called, but it aint a "banana".
    It is either a shank or a torpedo. Depends how it comes off the boot.

Off the inside ain't a banana (although it is in soccer if you get enough bend on it)...off the inside is a "snap." Snaps don't usually bend too much but if they do they are snaps which are "bending back towards goal.....not enough, another point to the Pies."
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Check Side

Originally posted by ScottH
    It is either a shank or a torpedo. Depends how it comes off the boot.
    I find that a torpedo rolls off the outside part of the boot (but with the ball still lengthwise) to give it the necessary action on the ball.

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Blog Entries
    I always thought it was the inside. Maybe that is why I can't kick them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast