Thread: A Good Move Indeed

A Good Move Indeed

Was looking at results on the Black Diamond website today when i came across this article...great idea i think. Black Diamond FL players will be in contention for state selection next year according to leading officials from different parts of NSW.

BDAFL General Manager, Garry Burkinshaw met with several officials in his recent trip to the Riverina where the subject of representative football came up.

"Because of our good performance at the rep match in Culcairn in May, a number of officials maintain that we should also have the opportunity for state selection" Mr Burkinshaw said.

"Its quite clear we have the quality here, its been building up over the past few years so interstate representation is surely their end reward".

Next year a team will be selected from country NSW to participate in the Australian Country Championships and the league will be pushing the barrow for players from this area to be selected.

The only recent player to achieve state honours is Warners Bay David Metcalf who was picked to play with NSW in 1997.
    what do you think?

aka Mr Taxman
    For the elite players I think representative footy is important especially State footy.

A footy carnival weekend is probably the best way to identify the best players in the State to unearth talents in comps like BD and a State team could be selected at the end of the carnival.

I wouldn't have a clue about the quality of the BD comp, but am certain that there is always a "diamond" no matter what the standard of footy is like in general.
    See me run a marathon again as a leprechaun?
    Donations

Sweet home Novacastria
    I could jump on the soapbox (but I won't)- yea there is some good footy up here, probably not the depth of other leagues, but the top 4 sides would match it with Sydney for sure.

It would be nice to have had some of our palyers looked at for RAMS selection however, especially since we only went down by a kick against the ACTAFL U/18s side. More talent wasted

oops...sorry...the soap box

Originally posted by Northern_Swan
    I could jump on the soapbox (but I won't)- yea there is some good footy up here, probably not the depth of other leagues, but the top 4 sides would match it with Sydney for sure.

It would be nice to have had some of our palyers looked at for RAMS selection however, especially since we only went down by a kick against the ACTAFL U/18s side. More talent wasted

oops...sorry...the soap box
    Seems like the next couple of years might see a change to that. I see a nelson bay boy got best for div2 at the u16 nationals. Good to see i think. Heard the kid plays seniors for nelson bay.. Seen much of him at senior level?

Sweet home Novacastria
    Yea i've seen him play more than once...
    As I said elsewhere he would have to be their best player. If he doesn't get their B&F i'll be very suprised. the kid CAN play. hopefully he will soon follow in Luffy's footsteps and be the second Nelson Bay player to be drafted to the AFL.

That would definately be a good thing. We need a face for the northern coast as far as promoting the game goes... Perhaps this could be where it comes from? Only time will tell. I will watch his progress eagerly.