Thread: Is Nick Davis just one of those kids always destined to be an outsider??

Banned indefinitely by Moderators for posting totally inappropriate material

Is Nick Davis just one of those kids always destined to be an outsider??

Nick D is a very skilfull and talented footballer, obviously.
    He is one of the best kicks for goal in the league for gods sake.
    And yet except for 2003 I believe he has been under utilized in the Swans forward line.
    Now someone commented in another thread that the Swans midfield are tending to ignore Nick when they go forward, making us too one dimenstional up front.
    Nick seems to be one of those slightly miss understood very talented slightly eccentric personalities.
    I sure hope the full array of his talents can be utilized by this team come finals time.
    He is good enough when on song to become one of Sydney's secret weopons later this year.

Hear hear,

Could be the smkoky come finals time, has the abilityto turn a game within minutes. and is a dead eye dick in front of goals.
    You Just Do Not Get a Better Grand Final Win Than That

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think Bloods suggested we needed to get more out of Davis, instead of just simply blaming Davis, and I think that is pretty much spot on. It was not so much Davis yesterday as the rest of the team not getting the ball to him. He can get the ball himself in the midfield or pushing up from HF, but Roos has him playing too deeply at the moment. He should playing off HF, he normally does but he was playing from FF for a lot of yesterday, which would be fine if they hit him on the chest (or even just honour his lead more than twice in a match). Move him to HF and have him lead to the wings.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

The Fourth Captain Schneiderman's Avatar
    He is not great overhead or in a contested situation. Kicking to him in these situations often leads to turnovers or missed opportunities. This was certainly the case quite a few times in both the Richmond and Melbourne games, and the Richmond ones cost us heavily.

He is most lethal on a lead and being hit on the chest, or crumbing on the fifty arc.

He is what I would call a "utility forward" (whereas C Bolts is a true "utility back") who has regularly been used around the ground to create some creativity, or a mismatch. Not kicking too many goals is probably less concerning to Roos this year.

On the Rookie List BayesysLeftBoot's Avatar
    He reminds me of Dale Lewis, a highly skilled and talented player that hasn't fully reached his potentional. He is often critisized for being lazy the same way lewis was and hasn't been helped by injuries. You have to feel sorry for the guy though, a player as talented as him having to share the forward line with Hall, O'loughlin and O'keefe who all get a lot more oppourtunities than he does.

Early last year ROK was playing the role of the dummy lead from the forward line to open up space for the other forwards. While it might have been personally disappointing for him to keep making leads with little hope of receiving the ball, he was playing a disciplined and truely team-oriented game.

Obviously that changed as the season developed, and now I think Davis is being made to play a similar role. He continues to lead, and a good defender must go with him. This opens up the F50 for Magic, Hall and ROK. It may be disheartening on a personal level, but if it is helping us win games, then it is just as useful as kicking the goals himself.
    Visit my eBay store -

10% off for mentioning RWO when you buy. Great Christmas presents!

On the Rookie List
    Roos made the point that it was a team win because everyone played their role, for example McVeigh only two touches but trying to negate his opponent. It means sometimes you must sacrifice your game for the good of the team. Personally I think Davis should be used more as a transition player between forward and backline on occasions as his disposal is really good as a linkman. I think he is quite a good overhead and contested mark at times but the ball has to be kicked in such a way that you have a contest not allow a taller player to punch the ball away. Loads of teams have disposal problems into their respective forward lines making the defenders jobs easier.
    LIFE GOES ON

I don't think Davis has the motor to play in the midfield.Because he is such a good kick I think he playes a similar role to the Lonie twins.They are sweepers and are told to stay outside the packs to take the receive ball if their teamates can get it out to them.I think Davis fits the same profile.