Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sat Night v Crows

Originally posted by Thunder Shaker
    Even in round 22, when we play Hawthorn, we would do well to be thinking about that clash rather than the finals the week after. In a season where monumental upsets seem to happen almost on a weekly basis, no club can afford to take its opposition lightly.
    We saw what happened to Geelong last weekend, having thought that one was in the bag against the Bulldogs.

Although it's the same old rhetoric ("one game at a time"), it's essential they approach the rest of the season in this manner for we cannot afford to be too complacent. The teams who are fighting for a shot at September need to be aware that approaching games with the future in mind is a surefire way to destroy their chances, considering this season's ladder. The strength that comes fighting for pride should not be discounted.
    Sydney have their work cut out for them between now and round 22.
    And you can't find nothing at all,
    If there was nothing there all along.

On the Rookie List
    certainly agree with those in favour of a low key response at this point. getting ahead of yourself is one of sport's eternal sins - guilty parties in our comp are Melbourne and Richmond.

i think one good part of our season is the way they've paced themselves, and i think this is largely due to the Roos regime, for which he deserves credit.

Wizard Cup - forget it. I'd be amazed if we were to ever have a real go at that while Roos is the coach. Look what's happened to Carlton. They burnt out whatever it was they had to burn.

As for this weekend, we do have form at this ground. We only have to think back to that fabulous victory over the Power in 03, which remains one of my favourite football moments in recent times. Motivation for a SCG final should be a real incentive.

Adelaide have opened fast and faded significantly as recent games have progressed - Fremantle came back from, what was it, 43 points at three-quarter time. If we can stop them getting out of the blocks, we might even run them down in the end.
    lachlanc

Veterans List
    Interesting point of view from Roos that he thinks the Crows fade because they have worked so much harder in the first three quarters. He said staying with them at that time will be the challenge.

Incidentally, on the same topic, at the SCG aftermatch Magic said that he had been told by the younger players that the speed and fitness of the Eagles was scary throughout the whole game. He put it down to running up and down the longer ground. And I've always thought that we seem to have an edge on fitness.

And the Crows are categorically denying that they have been in a special hard training program and that's why they have faded.

It would be fascinating to know just what technical planning goes into each game - and not just match ups. Earlier this season Adam Goodes dropped some detailed stats on the Swans success rate from contested possessions and concluded that the current Sydney mob around the ball isn't going to stop any time soon. I suspect we're not meant to know that stuff.

Originally posted by lachlanc
    As for this weekend, we do have form at this ground.
    According to Fox League teams we're 7/17 at AAMI - sounds a bit better than I thought, but that's what they said....

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sat Night v Crows

Originally posted by liz
    I think it's called being circumspect and not getting too far ahead of ourselves.

FWIW (and irrespective of the result this weekend) I believe we have an excellent chance of beating Essendon in Melbourne for the first time in yonks. I just need to work out how to be there for the game.

Oh and how sweet it would be.

It will never be able to make amends for what happened on August 12, 2001 but it will help.

On the Rookie List
    Coming to you LIVE from a Stand near you!

Re: Sat Night v Crows

Originally posted by ROK Lobster
    Is this the first time we will get a REAL idea of where we are at? An away game in front of a big crowd after a bruising encounter. Win and we are genuine contenders. Get belted and there will still be hope, but only a little. Lose narrowly and we'll be right where we are now.
    It sure is ROK!

Well said.

Amid all the attention to last weeks game,i was more worried about this game.

This one is the REAL test!!!

The Crows at Footy Park is much tougher than West Coast at the SCG.

C'mon Sydney-SHOW 'EM YOUR MIGHT!!!
    Well done Craig Bolton for getting the co- captaincy in 2008.

Your determination,your tenacity and your under-rated skill is why you have become my favourite player!

On the Rookie List

Exclamation

being an old adelaide refugee (but been a swannee since '82) I can say that adelaide nights are something else - bitter cold winds, slippery ball - even worse when it rains (but lets not mention the 1st semi at the scg in '98) - so it is a different game in these conditions. I'd say play it hard and tight - against one of the hardest midfields going - riccuito is indestructible - I still can't see the crows going over the swans. the present swans unit is one of the toughest and quickest yet. the only problem are the bruises and fatigue from the last few weeks. GO SWANNIES!
    keep it real

On the Rookie List
    swans win on saturday night then they will become the new flag favorites.

GO Swans

msabenny
    (still drinking chinese beer in downtown Shanghai in 30 degree heat)
    This one's for the old bloods and the new bloods:

Sir Brett Kirk: 2005 Premiership player and Bob Skilton Medalist

Originally posted by Go Swannies
    Interesting point of view from Roos that he thinks the Crows fade because they have worked so much harder in the first three quarters. He said staying with them at that time will be the challenge.

Incidentally, on the same topic, at the SCG aftermatch Magic said that he had been told by the younger players that the speed and fitness of the Eagles was scary throughout the whole game. He put it down to running up and down the longer ground. And I've always thought that we seem to have an edge on fitness.

It will be essential to at least be within a gaol or two considering how much last weeks game took out of them:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/swans...143969233.html

WRT the longer ground aspect, it would make sense. More games at Telstra would help that.

Maybe they should find some paddock somewhere large enough to mark out the size of the MCG and start practising there come finals time!
    "My theory is that the universe is made out of stupidity because it's more plentiful than hydrogen" - Frank Zappa

Originally posted by Dave
    It will be essential to at least be within a gaol or two
    Charges were never laid and he cooperated with the police.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234