Page 23 of 267 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 trading, drafting, list management

Glad the hysteria around Jones or Reids 6-700k a year has died for at least a week

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Glad the hysteria around Jones or Reids 6-700k a year has died for at least a week
    Until the media cycle is a bit quiet and they dredge it up again - "Swans pair still not re-signing"

- - - Updated - - -

Until the media cycle is a bit quiet and they dredge it up again - "Swans pair still not re-signing"

What I hate about the Melbourne media as how they think raiding the northern clubs is a birthright. The current chatter is about how much is Schache worth when he gets plucked from Brisbane, and Garry Lyon said yesterday that some Melbourne club MUST get Steven May off GC. No wonder the northern clubs are struggling when they are treated like feeder clubs for the Vic clubs.

- - - Updated - - -

What I hate about the Melbourne media as how they think raiding the northern clubs is a birthright. The current chatter is about how much is Schache worth when he gets plucked from Brisbane, and Garry Lyon said yesterday that some Melbourne club MUST get Steven May off GC. No wonder the northern clubs are struggling when they are treated like feeder clubs for the Vic clubs.

Veterans List
    That rarest of draft commodities the KPF, former number 2 pick Josh Schache might request a trade to a Melbourne club at the end of the season.

How much were Brisbane dudded by the southern clubs in trade negotiations when they last had go homers? They were dudded a heap. So what do Melbourne clubs offer this time for a number 2 draft pick? Watch them try it all again.

The comp is so skewed towards Vic clubs it's not funny.

- - - Updated - - -

That rarest of draft commodities the KPF, former number 2 pick Josh Schache might request a trade to a Melbourne club at the end of the season.

How much were Brisbane dudded by the southern clubs in trade negotiations when they last had go homers? They were dudded a heap. So what do Melbourne clubs offer this time for a number 2 draft pick? Watch them try it all again.

Senior Player
    [QUOTE=Ludwig;725687]What I hate about the Melbourne media as how they think raiding the northern clubs is a birthright. The current chatter is about how much is Schache worth when he gets plucked from Brisbane, and Garry Lyon said yesterday that some Melbourne club MUST get Steven May off GC. No wonder the northern clubs are struggling when they are treated like feeder clubs for the Vic clubs.

i'm an old South supporter who has lived in Melbourne all my life. It is probably only because I now follow a team based in Sydney that I see clearly how Melbourne centric the comp is. Most of media have a very blinkered view and trying to point this out to other Victorians is like beating your head against a door. One of my biggest gripes is that the GF is played at the MCG usually against a team that plays home games there. We finished top of the ladder in 2014 and 2016 and played teams virtually on their home ground.Same with West Coast in 2015. Farcical situation for a national comp. Whenever I bring that up down here, it doesn't compute. And they say Americans are insular. I think the agreement runs out in 2035! Very annoying.

Whether it has died down in the news cycle is irrelevant.

The money being quoted ($600K for Jones and Reid $800K) is right on the money for mine and even then it may not be enough. You have the Saints, St Kilda, North and Carlton planning for this for years and they have a couple of million to play with.

Whatever we offer they will be able to trump. We offer $600K a year, one of them will match it with a $750K sign on fee thrown in as a sweetener.

Ultimately at the moment a player is worth whatever someone will pay. Schache being quoted at $700K a season and likely to get it. Apart from it just being heartbreaking for the Lions that is a simply ridiculous number to pay.

All we can do is get close to the market value, which I think we will, but ultimately if either of these guys is motivated significantly by money then they're gone. Personally I think we'll more than likely keep Reid and I think Jones is 50/50 at best and again if they are not signed up by the end of June then I think we should prepare for the worst.

Whatever happens, we'll be OK. If we were to lose Jones I'd expect a top ten pick as compo and the abaility to again go to the draft and get a couple of first round midfielders will soften the blow somewhat. Having said that I'll be a lot more gutted than when Tom left.

If GC lose May then their situation in terms of retention won't be much better than the Suns. And I can see GWS starting to get picked to pieces too, sure their list is deep and good but their drafting this year is pretty poor and they'll start to lose a few RFAs in 2020.

I think we are the best option by far in terms of retention. The whole GWS setup and crowds reeks of a carnival ride and for a professional sportsmen on $300K + Sydney is a pretty good place to live. And I also think that the off field opportunities are increasing. And the more mature players appreciate being out of the Melbourne bubble which is stifling and actually quite weird

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

And in the same breath @@@@@@ on academies as much as possible. Why? Because they know it's a big part of the solution to the problem thus if academies were gone they get to continually r@pe the northern clubs at bargain basement costs. Like I keep saying hypocritical liers.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post
    And in the same breath @@@@@@ on academies as much as possible. Why? Because they know it's a big part of the solution to the problem thus if academies were gone they get to continually r@pe the northern clubs at bargain basement costs. Like I keep saying hypocritical liers.
    I agree. I get the go home factor and I think the inherent risk is unavoidable.

But then the only solution to giving a fair go is attacked when a decent player is produced. This will be a body blow to the Lions and to make things worse you can bet that whatever Melbourne club he goes to will shaft them on the trade too. Richmond have two mid to late first rounders this year (theirs and Port's) - they should offer both picks for Josh if they are genuine and even then it will still be a bitter pill but I can just see the Lions having to accept Pick 14 for a #2 KPF.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    For the life of me I don't understand why the afl scrapped the veterans list which was the one way to entice players to stay with the one club.

Surely both players and fans prefer that. What was the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I agree. I get the go home factor and I think the inherent risk is unavoidable.

But then the only solution to giving a fair go is attacked when a decent player is produced. This will be a body blow to the Lions and to make things worse you can bet that whatever Melbourne club he goes to will shaft them on the trade too. Richmond have two mid to late first rounders this year (theirs and Port's) - they should offer both picks for Josh if they are genuine and even then it will still be a bitter pill but I can just see the Lions having to accept Pick 14 for a #2 KPF.
    It's not just that. From everything I've heard the northern clubs lean towards picking Vic country kids as they handle the move easier than the metro kids if picking a player from Victoria. No coincidence that Hayward has signed on for an extra year n Florent hasn't yet. I have no doubt atleast a few Melbourne clubs have kept contact with him since his move to Sydney. So basically they have a smaller draft pool to pick from but you'll never hear this bought up from the Melbourne media.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    For the life of me I don't understand why the afl scrapped the veterans list which was the one way to entice players to stay with the one club.

Surely both players and fans prefer that. What was the issue?
    It was the complete rort of the cap that destroyed the veterans list. Hawthorn manipulated it to perfection n that's why the could afford to keep that great list together for so long when half the players salary is outside the cap.

Zak Jones contract, AFL trade period: interest in Sydney Swans midfielder from four Victorian clubs, Essendon, Melbourne, North Melbourne, St Kilda | Fox Sports

Luckily though:
    "Jones has been happy in Sydney and there is no suggestion that he is keen to come home at this stage of his career after what has been a breakout season."