Page 28 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: AJ Watch

Veteran Site Admin
    He at least looks like he's running fairly freely. The week before his NEAFL return he was a runner for the team and looked proppy. But since his return in the actual team, his running action looks pretty normal. I think he might have lost a little pace, but who knows if that is permanent or just a result of not being 100% fit and confident in his body.

I'd be very surprised to see him in contention for senior footy this season.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He at least looks like he's running fairly freely. The week before his NEAFL return he was a runner for the team and looked proppy. But since his return in the actual team, his running action looks pretty normal. I think he might have lost a little pace, but who knows if that is permanent or just a result of not being 100% fit and confident in his body.

I'd be very surprised to see him in contention for senior footy this season.
    The confidence is starting to build Liz I think - he looked a lot more comfortable running against GWS last week then he had two weeks before down here in Canberra. It is just about small steps forward, building into a bigger leap forward in time. Sounds like he saw some more of the ball on Saturday (though it was a very one sided affair so hard to judge).
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I don't think AJ will ever make it back unfortunately and this is a tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by tutulkaku View Post
    AJ has 'already made it back' by playing just 1 game. As far as I am concerned anything more is just icing on the cake.

Harsh to write him off all of 4 games into his return at NEAFL level.

He has been making progress each week, and it will take time. He may never be the same player he was pre-injury, but most have plenty of faith that he will give it his all to return, and given how hard he has worked to achieve what he has so far, I have no doubt he will make it and return to the AFL at some stage (even if it turns out just to be as a fringe player).

His performances have only been so-so since his return, but surely no one honestly expected him to come back 'top notch' and would be writing him off on said basis surely. There have been hallmarks in every game so far of AJ pre injury - one would hope with more time, those will stop being fleeting moments and turn into more consistent performances.

As Yvonne says though - everything from here is icing on in the cake in many ways however. Just to get back on the field after what he has been through is an enormous achievement in itself.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I'm sure the game has changed a bit in the last 5 years.
    Will take a fair while to catch up
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

A tragedy is innocent people losing their lives. If AJ doesn't play seniors again it'll be disappointing for him but he's a Premiership player and has been able to overcome years of knee reconstructions and infections to get back to playing footy. I think that's an incredible outcome.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

There was a moment last week against the Thunder when he was involved in a marking contest and fell awkwardly. I held my breath expecting the worst. He was up immediately, gathering possession and sprinting away and setting up a play further down the ground.
    It was exhilarating and I know its not much but to me it was significant.
    I truly believe that he may be back to a level that will see him playing senior footy again. Perhaps not this year but with a full pre-season and the confidence gained by staying injury free... who knows.

He just needs a solid pre-season behind him.

Veterans List
    I doubt seniors was ever on the cards this year. Suspect the plan was games now to gain touch and confidence and then a full pre-season to set him up for 2018, then let form take its course.

Good to hear Alex is looking more free in his movement, with our finals looking to go deep, he will get a good lead into next year at a more intense pace.

AJ.jpg

It's got to warm the heart reading this!!!
    I love this story, I love everything it stands for and I love that he's getting better and better with each game back.
    Last edited by RichardLong; 14th August 2017 at 10:38 AM.

Veterans List
    I just posted this on the NEAFL vs Redlands thread but it's probably more appropriate here......I notice with Alex's stats that he didn't lay a tackle. While I can understand his reluctance to do the real vigorous stuff, has he tackled at all since his return? He will have to one day......