Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: New Competition Structure for 2018

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Camden will struggle to win a game in all 3 teams in the premier structure.
    Then you'd have teams like Sth Power Mac Uni & Western Magic (their 1s) playing SWS, Norwest, Randwick, Wollondilly each week..
    From what I read on another thread recently Camden are loaded and ready to go with their president saying their depth is better than the current bottom 5 Prem clubs. And yes some teams in the second teir Seniors comp
    Would struggle initially but no different to the current system. The positives far outweigh the negetatives IMHO

Yeh, from everything Ive heard Camden are ready to go from next year. Yeh, they would get flogged but having a prems attracts good 19s and good players. Just have to grin and bear some floggings in the first couple of years.

Warming the Bench
    Camden will struggle to win a game in all 3 teams in the premier structure.
    Then you'd have teams like Sth Power Mac Uni & Western Magic (their 1s) playing SWS, Norwest, Randwick, Wollondilly each week..
    Hold up, lets not make bold predictions like alot us did with Manly when they went up back in 2013.

However for the Camden president to say their depth is better than the current 5 bottom sides, well im not sure about that one given their first grade arent even in the top 3 of div 1. How can someone make a statement like that when they wouldnt have a clue about premier division clubs depth of players, they just going off results?

So there's only two clubs not to win a flag during divisionalisation! And my mob is one of em. Glad the other is Parra. Wankers.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuttsy View Post
    From what I read on another thread recently Camden are loaded and ready to go with their president saying their depth is better than the current bottom 5 Prem clubs. And yes some teams in the second teir Seniors comp
    Would struggle initially but no different to the current system. The positives far outweigh the negetatives IMHO
    Laughable. He does realise that the "bottom 5" are:

Pennant Hills
    East Coast
    UTS
    Manly
    Wests

Leysy is smarter than that and he knows they would be in for years of pain. Having a side in Premier Division doesn't mean you will attract talent. Success generally builds success. Meaning if you have poor results then it is very hard to attract talent. Many of their current list are players who do not want to play Premier Division level and for a good reason. If they can't win Div 1 then they shouldn't be looked at for the top level. Manly absolutely dominated Div 1 before they were promoted as did UTS from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Freedman View Post

Pennant Hills
    East Coast
    UTS
    Manly
    Wests

Leysy is smarter than that and he knows they would be in for years of pain. Having a side in Premier Division doesn't mean you will attract talent. Success generally builds success. Meaning if you have poor results then it is very hard to attract talent. Many of their current list are players who do not want to play Premier Division level and for a good reason. If they can't win Div 1 then they shouldn't be looked at for the top level. Manly absolutely dominated Div 1 before they were promoted as did UTS from memory.
    I think both won Div 1 two years running before promotion?
    Not to take anything away from Camden, they've built their club well. But 4th in Div 1 is a long way from Prems, especially when you consider the teams above them are all 2nds sides...

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Freedman View Post

Pennant Hills
    East Coast
    UTS
    Manly
    Wests

I am pretty sure JL realises that at the top end and was referring to depth meaning their third grade side would compete against the lower end third grade sides from those Prems Clubs.

(E.g. Would Camdens Div5 beat ECE Div4, Wests Div5, Manly Div4 etc....?)

I think you have to start somewhere and JL knows this and has a good committee ready to go and i know the bloke would work his arse off for years to come to make it successfull. You only have to look at the last few years.

I watched Div1 last weekend at Olds and Camdens 3rd quarter was impressive and they had plenty of chances to beat St George. Consistency for all four quarters cost them.

Nothing we can all do anyway we are in the hands of the administrators and will wait for them to tell us whats happening again i guess just like when the Divisions were brought in.

Warming the Bench
    I think both won Div 1 two years running before promotion?
    Not to take anything away from Camden, they've built their club well. But 4th in Div 1 is a long way from Prems, especially when you consider the teams above them are all 2nds sides...

Yes UTS won 09 and 10 pretty easily too and Manly did the same in 11 and 12 and even back then people had an issue with them going up. Camden only just beat North Shore 2s in the grand final last year.

Good luck to them i will not write them off, however this just looks as tho a replacement for Campbelltown if anything

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Yeh, from everything Ive heard Camden are ready to go from next year. Yeh, they would get flogged but having a prems attracts good 19s and good players. Just have to grin and bear some floggings in the first couple of years.
    I think you are correct in saying that being in Prems and Div1 19's will attract and hold good players and provide a path way for juniors but the other side of the coin is what happens to those clubs in the second tier.
    Will they find it difficult to attract good players and therefore become self full filling in that they will always be second tier.

There is also talk of changing 19's to 18's and in juniors 17's to 16's.
    I think the jump from 18 straight into big boys footy is too much for most kids (elites excluded), rugby have U20 colts in one comp and U21 in another comp. League I think still have U19's.

Quote Originally Posted by Giants View Post
    I watched Div1 last weekend at Olds and Camdens 3rd quarter was impressive and they had plenty of chances to beat St George. Consistency for all four quarters cost them.
    So what you are saying is they lost to a prems teams reserves. A club with something like 40 people out injured at the moment and 3 kids backing up after playing in the 19s the game before.

I think they probably should go up (and will get flogged in prems), but compare that div 1 side on the weekend to the one that is put out in finals.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    I think you are correct in saying that being in Prems and Div1 19's will attract and hold good players and provide a path way for juniors but the other side of the coin is what happens to those clubs in the second tier.
    Will they find it difficult to attract good players and therefore become self full filling in that they will always be second tier.
    Or do what Camden are doing - promote and attract them.

Strategically, I think there definitely needs to be representation of the south west and western suburbs. Maybe not now or in the next few years, a series of hidings would be disastrous and undo all the good work already done.

Think about the last few promotions to PD - Wollongong was first, after really, only claiming a premiership in 2004. Way too early, but a strategic decision it would seem.

Sydney Uni in 2007 (a re-promotion of sorts) their 1s and 2s were either premiers or runners up, or thereabouts, in the SFA through the 90s and 00s. Always a strong unit.

UTS in 2010 after sustained success. Manly the same. They deserve to be there.

Few years ago, South West Sydney would've been up there for promotion, not so much for on field results but for off field - facilities, sponsors, committee etc.

Penrith - probably lacking the support of council (or at least the bloke that keeps them off Howell Oval) but a very well run club.

Holroyd-Parramatta - well......if their ressies can't field a team, there's something amiss.

Camden - have grown organically since their return from the South Coast, have copped some hidings early but stuck it out and grew from within, also grew some relationships with junior clubs (and senior) in their area.

Blacktown - would be interested to see if their player retention and culture was the same when copping some thrashings. The only folk who wouldn't agree that they've had it easy since their test tube birth would be the folk at the club itself.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast