Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 4, Sydney Swans v Bulldogs, 4:35pm 14/04 Etihad @sydneyswans #AFLDogsSwans

Warming the Bench
    forgot to give Longmire some credit.
    Finally figured out that Hawks and other teams like to keep possession from us
    and made changes after halftime

Hopefully it's not a once off

Interesting article by Nick Dal Santo, which a few on here would agree with

Sydney is "vanilla, but it�s a damn good vanilla,� says Dal Santo

Former St Kilda midfielder Nick Dal Santo is worried Sydney mightn�t have a plan B if things go wrong for them.

The Swans were pushed to the final siren by the Western Bulldogs and walked away with a seven-point win, but Dal Santo sees something that might concern coach John Longmire.

�The only thing that worries me about the Swans is when you play them you know exactly what you�re going to get,� Dal Santo told SEN Breakfast.

�It�s vanilla, but it�s a damn good vanilla.�

�If you�re playing in the midfield, you know exactly who you�re playing against, you know exactly where they�re going to stand and you know their running patterns.

�When it works, it looks brilliant and I like that, but when it doesn�t and when things are going hard, there�s not a lot of variety out of it.

Lots of interesting, thoughtful posts.

AG, like your point about speedy defenders being able to press up the ground further confident they can get back fast enough if need be. MattW liked your observations about Aliir's role.

I agree with Ludwig that our defence this year is a concern. Normally we are just about best in the comp when it comes to points against - so far this season we are mid-table in this regard. Ahead of Carlton and Brisbane but way behind GWS. Even the Suns have allowed fewer scores and even after being thrashed this weekend. Interestingly it is North who have conceded the fewest points so far this season - and by a long way!

A positive when looking at the ladder is that we have already beaten the teams ranked #1 and #2. We're tracking ok and right in the mix for top 4. Every team seems to have had one or more poor games. None are unbeaten.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I think JPK has fallen out of the "elite" category of midfielders now.
    Four games. Jeez.

Hard or see how Kennedy is getting a run.

lolzjks
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

A positive when looking at the ladder is that we have already beaten the teams ranked #1 and #2. We're tracking ok and right in the mix for top 4. Every team seems to have had one or more poor games. None are unbeaten.
    So long as the team understands it is "just tracking" and doesn't get carried away with the win-loss ratio, we in a good position. The team is playing a little better than this time last year but not a whole lot better. But we are 3-1 (not 0-4) and have beaten some teams that the ladder says are good (and our loss was to one that the ladder says is also good). We need to drastically improve as the season progresses, but that's true of any team that sees itself as a contender.

Even the good sides have been patchy, between games and within games. West Coast were good in the first half against the Cats but then stopped after half-time and it's hard to see how they would have won that game had the Cats not had three injured players on the bench. The media reckons they played well against us but they lost comfortably and we were only so-so (Buddy aside). The Crows ran out of gas in round one against Essendon and then dished up that rubbish, at home, on Friday night. Yet they made Richmond look very ordinary the week before. And GWS have looked a bit scratchy too this season, other than the demolition of a non-competitive Dogs side in round 1.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I think JPK has fallen out of the "elite" category of midfielders now.
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    No.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

the match on the weekend can be easily summed up.

In the first quarter we didn't come prepared for a tough, hard, pressure cooker game. We were right off the boil. They took advantage of our dreadful disposal and fumbling, bumbling. In saying that they were very good. Mainly because our pressure was crap. We let them run free. We allowed them to play tempo footy and gave them heaps of space. In saying that I don't think it was all the players fault. Horse has to take responsibility for the zone he had in place. zoning 20 metres off an opponent is suicide against a side that is willing to play tempo footy and do it well. Because once they get the set ups right they then have runners and overlap. We had too many lazy players in the first half too but the set ups were all wrong against the Bullies.

In fact our players played some really lazy footy for most of the match. There were times when sloppy, lazy and hesitant footy almost lost us the game. See last quarter, Parker's failure to chase Daniels, two players fail to chase Daniels. Did they think he's so small he's inconsequential?

The game should not have been in our grasp at half time. Roos said we were not playing that badly. I'd hate to see us play badly if that was not that bad. Our disposal was terrible. We fumbled nearly everything and we can't blame the rain at Etihad. The second half started with horse going man on man. He filed the zone away in the deepest darkest recess he could find I hope. It's an old tactic that never worked against tempo footy. Then doggies put Redpath back as an extra and Horse took nearly 20 minutes to man him up. This almost lost us the game. But what was worse was in the last 6 minutes we gave up the ball so easily and didn't chse on so many occasions it is a wonder we are not lamenting a loss. the efforts of several players must be acknowledged;

Heeney; Sensational after he went to the middle after half time. His efforts late in the game were telling.

Rampe; Heroic back there.

Lloyd; Never gave up when players all around him were lagging off.

Ollie; For being young and brave. boy he would not have wanted to miss that shot. But sensational. the kid never gave up all day. He was tough in the contest and gave his teammates a chance by putting his body on the line all day. the kid may not have got huge numbers but he made them count and his in and under work was really good.

Towers; He kept trying all day. Never gave up a chase. Was very inventive and creative. Score assists tell a story.

Sinclair; Took the bulk of the rucks and did a fine job. Some good work against a very mobile and quick ruckman. I just want him to learn to hit out more to advantage and he'll be the real deal.

McVeigh; I forgot to put him in initially. Macca was good for most of the day except the first quarter when he fumbled like the rest. his composure late was telling.

In the end we get the points and the bag of lollies. But we need to start working to a much better rhythm otherwise the better sides will leave us behind. Our disposal has to improve at least 20% if we are going to look at a finals berth. The first game of the season was our best in disposal efficiency so far. In fact that was a good round for many of the clubs. They have mostly gone downhill since. Except Collingwood, it breaks my heart to say, have improved no end.

Where too from here?

Aliir; must stay in and battle away in the defence. He looked really out of place on the weekend.

Newman; Crap early but picked up as the game progressed. But let's face it he had plenty of mates who were crap too in the first half.

Jones; He was not his usual self and will need another two games to get back to his norm.

Next week against the Crows. I hope is pours here. I might just start a rain dance in my courtyard. With their tall forward line we can just run off them all night and they won't mark the ball anyway. If it is dry they will be dangerous on the SCG. I thought they went in very top heavy on a wet day. It doesn't look like rain unfortunately.
    Last edited by wolftone57; 16th April 2018 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    In the first quarter we didn't come prepared for a tough, hard, pressure cooker game. We were right off the boil. They took advantage of our dreadful disposal and fumbling, bumbling. In saying that they were very good. Mainly because our pressure was crap. We let them run free. We allowed them to play tempo footy and gave them heaps of space. In saying that I don't think it was all the players fault. Horse has to take responsibility for the zone he had in place. zoning 20 metres off an opponent is suicide against a side that is willing to play tempo footy and do it well. Because once they get the set ups right they then have runners and overlap. We had too many lazy players in the first half too but the set ups were all wrong against the Bullies...

Next week against the Crows. I hope is pours here. I might just start a rain dance in my courtyard. With their tall forward line we can just run off them all night and they won't mark the ball anyway. If it is dry they will be dangerous on the SCG. I thought they went in very top heavy on a wet day. It doesn't look like rain unfortunately.
    The uncontested style of play they used against us was similar to what they used the week before in destroying Essendon. So how could Horse not have prepared a structure to counter that ... why is Horse constantly surprised by Hawthorn playing that game against us? I didn't watch the Crows getting smashed by Collingwood, but I did Adelaide employing a short kicking uncontested game to great effect against Richmond. I really hope that Horse is ready for them tactically, rather than surprised at the obvious!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    MRP

Dan Hannebery can accept $1500 sanction, instigator a melee.
    Lachlan Hunter can accept 1 game, rough conduct on T Papley.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Four games. Jeez.
    He's still very good, but in the top 5 midfielders in the comp? (my definition of elite), not so sure.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Coaches' votes

8 Heeney
    5 Macrae
    4 Naughton, Parker
    3 Rampe
    2 Franklin, McLean
    1 Suckling, Williams

Breakdown is straightforward to work out and once you do it's very strange as Heeney is the only player that received votes from both coaches.

• Suckling, Williams 1-0
    • Franklin, McLean 2-0
    • Rampe 3-0
    • Naughton, Parker 4-0
    • Macrae 5-0
    • Heeney 5-3