Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Rd 16 Sydney v Geelong, SCG, 05 July 2018 @SydneySwans #SwansCats

Quote Originally Posted by Merdo5555 View Post
    Really how many premierships have we won since we recruited them?

Tippett was an overpaid disaster that never justified his salary,we recruited off one good final series, bad bad decision.

We did win one the year before we went on the recruiting spree. We wouldnt be a better team with Tom Mitchell, the game is won in the midfield and we had so much depth weve lost because of the salary cap.
    And how many premierships have hawthorn won with Tom Mitchell?? Ummmm none!!! Have hawthorn been in the 8 since Mitchell has been there?? Errr no!!

Senior Player
    The problem at the moment is the lack of clean disposals and a lack of meaningful, deliberate forward thrusts. The clean disposals will come in time as our youngsters grow more accustomed to high pressure seniors football. What I’m most concerned about is the low inside 50 stats in recent weeks and the dearth of smart, structured and drilled forward thrusts coming out of defence.

The boys down back are doing an ok job of absorbing pressure, but the ball shouldn’t always be down there. We need to stop the turnovers in the middle of the ground and lock the ball up at our end. This begins with Longmire, we need a different game plan when we take possession in defence. Either have our mids spread after taking possession, or have targets lead up to take marks. It seems we’re too slow to take the game on and need to resort to the tried and true classic Sydney play - tempo footy.

Senior Player
    Not enough quality in the side. Reid, Papley, Heeney, Melican, Mills are all in our top 10-15 players.

While we have quick players, too many are too slow - McVeigh, Hannebery, Jack, Kennedy are not running down opposition players in midfield and teams are breaking away from us too easily. Grundy's lack of speed in particular is becoming an issue - he was towelled by Hawkins on the lead tonight, which is happening increasingly. It does seem like his last year now.

I thought we really missed Heeney. He rotates with Parker (and to a lesser extent Hayward) between the forward line and midfield. Without him the other two were stretched too much - when Parker was in the middle we looked toothless up forward and when he played forward we looked weaker in the middle. Heeney balances that.

We're obviously missing Reid, who will be a massive in. I don't think there's any doubt he plays with McCartin, whose marking around the ground is important.

Towers was shocking. Awful. Didn't chase, no urgency with or without the ball. Why bother? Don't. Robinson was barely OK, but you don't get the sense there will be more. Hewett and Smith had their worst games for a while.

Positives included Aliir, who was mostly great albeit sometimes a little ponderous with the ball in dispute. Also, Taylor was a great match-up for him. Fox was good - his speed and capacity to keep the ball moving were important. He should get a run of games. McCartin was very good again. Of the senior players Rampe and Kennedy were good.

Changes next week will be very interesting. Sounds like Jack, Hannebery and McVeigh all out. Towers can't play after that. Vital Heeney is back. I am happy enough with Ludwig's suggestion that Rohan plays back - we do really need that speed.

All things going well, something like is possible:
    OUT: Jack, Hannebery, McVeigh, Towers, (Robinson)
    IN: Reid, Heeney, Papley, Rohan, (O'Riordan/Newman/Dawson)

We were comprehensively outplayed yet again. It feels in some ways like we’ve gone backwards this year despite winning more games. I can’t think of many games we’ve dominated or played with any fluency. And we’ve lost the inside 50s in almost every single game.

We were all hoping a change in the assistants would lead to a refresh of our game plan but we still seem to persist with kicking long to a contest coming out of defence and going inside 50. It was really REALLY obvious tonight how much better their ball use was than ours.

Be careful what you wish for! Those of us, including me, who have been critical of Jack, Hanners and Macca (earlier) have had our wish granted. Ditto with Aliir coming in and staying in at Melican’s
    expense.

Horse is going to be forced to play without some of his older, trusted, but slower stalwarts and to play some of those we’ve been screaming for him to play.

You never know - this might finally open the door for Newman, Dawson, COR to secure a spot in the team.

In other words even though that was a totally and utterly @@@@ night, things are never as bad as they seem. Next week we’ll have a team pretty close to one the ROWO match committee would pick and an opportunity to put things right v Norf.

Dunno if I’m just getting old and cotchety, The Swans are not much fun to watch lately.
    Maybe it’s actually the whole game, the way the protected zone is adjudicated , 36 players crowding one part of the ground.
    The Swans using the same method of thoughtlessly bombing to a crowd of 7-8 players.
    We’ve been soundly audited two weeks in a row.
    There’s a lot on here calling for the resting of this bloke Jack Hanners.
    Looks like he is done now for awhile .
    Bring on more youth .

I feel sick that was so @@@@.

Playing the man and not the ball: How many times did I see the ball just stop on the ground, and the swans players were too busy playing the man and not the ball... in strolls some ugly Ablett, and whooshka... goal (or behind - very lucky for us the ugly beard kicked five behinds). Basic Auskick stuff.

Towers:If I heard the commentators on MMM say "Towers can't mark" ONE MORE TIME... yes, we know Towers can't mark. Why he was named is beyond me. It may have been a "test" to see if he still had a bit of spark. If so, he failed.

Hanners: Really? What's the point in getting all those possessions, if you only have TWO effective disposals. Yep. Two. I counted them. Luffy seemed to think he has a hip problem (the reason Luffy was in the Geelong rooms is because he was interviewing the WINNERS for MMM [someone asked]).

R.O.V.E.R.S. : Remember when we used to have rovers? Remember when they were a thing? You know, the ones who stayed down to collect the leftovers when someone else couldn't mark. Is there a reason why we have ten swans players trying to take a spekky at every kick, and no one crumbing down below? That's basic Auskick stuff.

Manning up: Again, basic Auskick stuff.

Buddy-centric: Yes, we ALL know buddy is one kick off 900. Yes, we'd like him to kick that at home (but don't run on the field, they were quick to warn you), but that's just not going to happen if you try to force it. Buddy often has THREE players on him when the ball comes anywhere near him. That means, there's at least two swans players that are free. Find them and kick it to them.

Fluffing: Why are we just standing around looking at the ball? They don't seem to "want" it - or Geelong wanted it more.

Aliir: What a marvel he is. You have to remember this kid didn't grow up watching footy. I guarantee that he'll be Reg's replacement one day.

He was my only upside tonight.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

+1 to pretty much all of that.

Senior Player
    I think Newman has to come in - he is the most skilled player and the best user of the ball not in the seniors. I'm buggered if I know why he is not there and someone like Rose got a game earlier.

I would give O'Riordan a go, he needs to be given a chance or it is back to Ireland and he is pretty composed I think. If 3 are out I'd bring Dawson in, a huge risk I know but he can play.

Lets roll the dice.

[QUOTE=AnnieH;753914]I feel sick that was so @@@@.

"Buddy often has THREE players on him when the ball comes anywhere near him. That means, there's at least two swans players that are free. Find them and kick it to them."

Only one issue with that, the free Swans players are lazy and rarely free. Reason why many midfielders are BuddyScentric is due to the lack of discipline of many of the forward players.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Longmire saying Hanners did calf early in the game and was played forward with Jack already out of the game
    Well that makes it easy to drop both then.....let's see what the selectors come up with.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    cant agree with that - at the ground he covered so much territory he played really well - he took marks unlike the rest of the team - he is so composed, which at a distance looks like he’s very casual about it all, I thought he was very good tonight.
    Agree Wardy.....on tonights game, Aliir stays in and with Melican out for longer, they have little choice anyway. It's a chance for him to learn at the highest level, I hope it's his making as an AFL player. Back in 2016, when he had strung many games together, he looked like the future and we bemoaned his injury going into the finals.....no reason to think he won't get there again.

Fox was good.
    Robinson was ok.
    With the way we play, if all is going well, it's all good.
    When things aren't going so well, it's on the edge of your seat stuff, and not in a good way.
    More hoping that the sideways passes come off.
    We seem to be allergic to the middle of the ground.
    The closest the ball comes to the middle is when it's being passed over it from side to side.

An argument could me made that the Swans are not playing with nay real confidence.
    The other frustrating thing is the instant pass off when a player receives the ball.
    It's like they're playing hot potato. "Oh crap, the ball is in my hands, better instantly get rid of it. There's a R&W jumper, I'll pass to him. I'm sure the opposition player right beside him won't give too much trouble"
    Seriously, how many times did a player receive the ball, only to instantly pass it to another player who was under way more pressure than the first one?
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.