Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Rd 21 Swans v Melbourne, MCG, Sun 12 Aug 3:20pm @SydneySwans #AFLDeesSwans

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think the Swans may already have wasted the talents of Mills for a couple of seasons by leaving him in defence. I'd hate to see them confine Heeney to that end of the ground on a long term basis. I don't have an issue with him going back as he did on Sunday, with our defensive stocks depleted, but as natural as he looked back there, he's also one of our more creative players in other parts of the ground.
    Agreed on the last part in particular, but it is an area of weakness at the moment, particularly if Grundy is unable to play, so it's note likely Isaac will be used there for the rest of the season.

On a slightly different note (and different thread topic), the injury to Johnson, Melican's injury propensity and Grundy's nearing career end does demonstrate a logic to recruiting Darcy Moore.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Agreed on the last part in particular, but it is an area of weakness at the moment, particularly if Grundy is unable to play, so it's note likely Isaac will be used there for the rest of the season.

On a slightly different note (and different thread topic), the injury to Johnson, Melican's injury propensity and Grundy's nearing career end does demonstrate a logic to recruiting Darcy Moore.
    But Moore has a propensity for injury.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Johnson was an unexpected bonus until it all went bad and we all know that Reg is near the end, but he may be more likely now to get another contract with the loss of Johnson.

There's no point in adding another player who is injury prone and unable to hold down a regular spot at another club, especially if it's likely to cost a 1st round draft pick and a big salary.

Our depth at KPD has taken a hit and it puts more pressure on keeping Melican and Aliir injury free. Maibaum is coming along and hopefully will progress enough to be considered for a few senior games next year.

Our forward line has been bolstered with McCartin and Blakey, so we should consider training up Amartey as a key defender. He looks well suited for that. It appears that we are trying Rohan in defence as well, which seems a smart move given the quality additions to our forward line and losses in the back line.

Veterans List
    I think the Swans may already have wasted the talents of Mills for a couple of seasons by leaving him in defence......
    Now that's a big statement! He was still in defence before injury wasn't he?

I'm of the opinion that we can find intercept/running HBs, Riordan showed how good he was in his three games and has more growth. Creative mids are harder to find.

Heeney will obviously stay as a mid/fwd, Dawson is ideal for this role and needs to be in the mids group this summer, think Jones should now be in the centre square as he's tough and has real acceleration which is something we lack out of the middle, if he shows the dash and dare out of the middle as he does off HB then we're much more attacking. Then we of course should have Mills in the centre mix, he reads the play so well and has great vision. Agree with you of course Liz :-)

So there's four young players added to our midfield behind the current stalwarts.

I think the Swans may already have wasted the talents of Mills for a couple of seasons by leaving him in defence. I'd hate to see them confine Heeney to that end of the ground on a long term basis. I don't have an issue with him going back as he did on Sunday, with our defensive stocks depleted, but as natural as he looked back there, he's also one of our more creative players in other parts of the ground.
    I don't often disagree Liz... how many times has Mills just been there to get an uncontested mark. He seems to always be in the right spot at the right time. You put he and Aliir in there together... oh my lord!!
    I don't think Mills would get the opportunity in the forward half... they only kick it to Buddy.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    I don't often disagree Liz... how many times has Mills just been there to get an uncontested mark. He seems to always be in the right spot at the right time. You put he and Aliir in there together... oh my lord!!
    I don't think Mills would get the opportunity in the forward half... they only kick it to Buddy.
    I think our defence has held up well enough since Mills broke his foot. I agree his intercept marking is very good but we have other players who can contribute this. Getting Aliir back into the team (and playing very well) has certainly been a positive in this regard.

Our biggest weakness this year has been in the midfield. We've previously been pretty good at winning a decent amount of contested ball and our midfield has been well-regarded as a two-way running, high tackling bunch. We've dropped off in both areas.

This might partly correct itself next year IFF Parker and Kennedy get decent pre-seasons into their bodies (I think both were restricted in the amount they could do last pre-season), and Hannebery can get himself fit and complete a pre-season. The likes of Florent and the young small forwards (who will inevitably float into the midfield at times, even if they aren't truly mids) might get slightly bigger and stronger and be able to stick more of their tackles. Hewett might emerge from his tagging experiences as a more potent clearance winner (and to be fair, he's contributed both defensively and offensively this year). Heeney may become more consistent (though I'm not convinced his best footy will be as a true onballer).

But injecting someone like Mills into the midfield group might be another factor that makes a difference. He has played a little bit in the midfield but mostly when the team's been well down and Longmire has thrown the magnets around a bit. At U18 level (and at NEAFL level before he was drafted) he looked like a natural midfield ball winner who could also navigate well through traffic. I had him pegged as a fair more natural stoppage ball winner than Heeney, who I think is most dangerous as the first or second receiver.

I think we have plenty who can adequately provide Mills' defensive attributes (even if they don't read the ball quite as well as him, or don't have hands quite as reliable as his). I'd like to see whether he can translate his natural ball winning ability as a junior to the senior ranks. I think he'll be more valuable to the team in the long term than playing one of the easiest positions on the ground.

Senior Player
    I think our defence has held up well enough since Mills broke his foot. I agree his intercept marking is very good but we have other players who can contribute this. Getting Aliir back into the team (and playing very well) has certainly been a positive in this regard.

Our biggest weakness this year has been in the midfield. We've previously been pretty good at winning a decent amount of contested ball and our midfield has been well-regarded as a two-way running, high tackling bunch. We've dropped off in both areas.

This might partly correct itself next year IFF Parker and Kennedy get decent pre-seasons into their bodies (I think both were restricted in the amount they could do last pre-season), and Hannebery can get himself fit and complete a pre-season. The likes of Florent and the young small forwards (who will inevitably float into the midfield at times, even if they aren't truly mids) might get slightly bigger and stronger and be able to stick more of their tackles. Hewett might emerge from his tagging experiences as a more potent clearance winner (and to be fair, he's contributed both defensively and offensively this year). Heeney may become more consistent (though I'm not convinced his best footy will be as a true onballer).

But injecting someone like Mills into the midfield group might be another factor that makes a difference. He has played a little bit in the midfield but mostly when the team's been well down and Longmire has thrown the magnets around a bit. At U18 level (and at NEAFL level before he was drafted) he looked like a natural midfield ball winner who could also navigate well through traffic. I had him pegged as a fair more natural stoppage ball winner than Heeney, who I think is most dangerous as the first or second receiver.

I think we have plenty who can adequately provide Mills' defensive attributes (even if they don't read the ball quite as well as him, or don't have hands quite as reliable as his). I'd like to see whether he can translate his natural ball winning ability as a junior to the senior ranks. I think he'll be more valuable to the team in the long term than playing one of the easiest positions on the ground.
    100% agree, Mills is wasted and stagnating in the backline when our midfield needs strengthening

How long has a microscope been targeted on our midfield?
    Not much earlier than Mills' injury.
    Up till then it was not excelling. but holding up fairly well.
    Perhaps Mills would be in the mid now if he was not injured, perhaps not.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

If we could only get Melican and Aliir playing in the team together, then it would be a no brainer that Mills would be in our midfield. He reminds me of Pendlebury.

I would prefer to move Dawson to defence if would allow Mills to play midfield. He's bigger, tracks the flight of the ball we and is a good contested mark. He's a bit undersized, but looks to have the tools to play as a key defender. like Dale Morris and Rampe, although I would still prefer him in the midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Mark of the year!

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    It should be mark of the year but that may not eventuate. Mark of the year is now decided by supporters voting these days. In other words, a popularity contest like the Logies. Daniher won it last year despite Howe making a much better and more spectacular mark. All Swans supporters need to vote for Heeney. Here is a link; http://markoftheyear.afl/vote/round/21. Spread the word.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    It should be mark of the year but that may not eventuate. Mark of the year is now decided by supporters voting these days. In other words, a popularity contest like the Logies. Daniher won it last year despite Howe making a much better and more spectacular mark. All Swans supporters need to vote for Heeney. Here is a link; Mark Of The Year - Round 21. Spread the word.
    Ridiculous, shallow system lacking integrity - bit like the AFL itself.

Could someone fix the link, it’s not clicking .