Page 283 of 418 FirstFirst ... 183233273279280281282283284285286287293333383 ... LastLast
Results 3,385 to 3,396 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    So glass half full

We potentially get Langdon, Ryan clarke , and maybe a significant player or two plus Blakey maybe a pick 8 draft........ Langdon and clarke straight into 22

We let go of Tippo, hannes, Rohan, towers, and Newman all are not 22 players next year anyway unless hannes made a tremendous change in form

Langdon maybe has agreed to terms with the swans and will most likely be pick 26

We can finally release mills and jones full time in the midfield rotation and add running machine Ryan clarke ready to fire after 50AFL games which is a significant change

In essence we get an early to mid 20s pick next year for the hannes trade and free up serious $ that might not be used at all next year

Points not that much different this year swapping 28 for 39 ie 200pts loss but up total 400pts to sure up Blakey and still trade other pick or two
    That's glass half full alright!

Langdon is good without being a star, Clarke is not guaranteed best 22, and I'm not sure what trade bait we have available to land anyone else significant (let alone 2!)

FWIW I think injury free and coached well, we have a list that could win a premiership, however it is concerning that a number of our rivals are continuing to significantly strengthen in the trade period while we don't appear to be

So it appears we now have after hannes trade:

picks 26,33,38,39,40,67 and future second round next year which might be mid 20s

So next year could be a draft picks of similar to Ollie and Hayward with as an example pick 13 and 23 or similar plus a pick say 33? Which is a much stronger pick position next year

So if we keep 26,33 picks this year for trades ie Langdon and maybe another like Howe at the hawks or a fast winger preferably :

We can go 38,39,40,67 = 1400pts approx and that is pick 6 in the draft for Blakey with the 20% discount

He ain’t going lower then pick 5.......so that’s cool and can go slight deficit for next year if we have used our trade picks 26 and 33 already

If Blakey goes for less pts we are stuck using say pick 40 and 67 this year which using pick 40 I’m sure we would get good value as we usually do

If Blakey goes pick 4 we cough up deficit pts next year ie maybe second or 3rd round next year ?
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 12th October 2018 at 11:38 AM.

So it appears we now have after hannes trade:

picks 26,33,38,39,40,67 and future second round next year which might be mid 20s

So next year could be a draft picks of similar to Ollie and Hayward with as an example pick 13 and 23 or similar ? Which is a stronger pick position

So if we keep 26,33 picks this year for trades ie Langdon and maybe another like Howe at the hawks or a fast winger preferably :

We can go 38,39,40,67 = 1400pts approx and that is pick 6 in the draft for Blakey with the 20% discount

He ain’t going lower then pick 5.......so that’s cool and can go slight deficit for next year if we have used our trade picks 26 and 33 already
    Does the Hanners trade going through mean Langdon isn't coming to the Swans? The story yesterday was that would happen first. Or we'd want clarity on what the Langdon trade would involve before doing the Hanners one.

AG your proposal would have us picking up only one draftee in the "super draft" and a collection of B-C grade players. I'd hope we'd only use pick 40 on Langdon (if it happens) and the others on Blakey / draftees. How I wish we'd got Freo's pick 6!

The Hanners trade worsens our draft position in the "super draft" that says it all really.

Warming the Bench
    A Venn diagram featuring posters who have spent the last two years calling for Hanners’ head alongside those now saying the Swans have been ripped off would be interesting...

I think the negative and positive are equal still with trade week not till wed next week finishing

The seesaw doesn’t balance until wed next week

You can say it’s all bad or good yet as trade week has not finished

So much has happened so far

Draft to come also

Imagine its 2020

we look back and say holy @@@@ getting Blakey at pick 6 equivalent when we only had puck 13 to start was outstanding and he from get go looks like a pistol

Clarke becomes a weapon in the midfield

Langdon frees up mills and jones and they go to a whole new level full time in the midfield and jones stays on because he is happy as a mid now

T.langdon turns out a gem and he Melican Rampe AA become a real force

Ed Langdon decides to trade to the swans in 2019

Hannes does minimal at saints and so too Rohan at the cats phhheeeewwwww

I think the negative and positive are equal still with trade week not till wed next week finishing

The seesaw doesn’t balance until wed next week

You can say it’s all bad or good yet as trade week has not finished

So much has happened so far

Draft to come also

Imagine its 2020

we look back and say holy @@@@ getting Blakey at pick 6 equivalent when we only had puck 13 to start was outstanding

Clarke becomes a weapon in the midfield

Langdon frees up mills and jones and they go to a whole new level full time in the midfield and jones stays on because he is happy as a mid now

T.langdon turns out a gem and he Melican Rampe AA become a real force

Ed Langdon decides to trade to the swans in 2019

Hannes does minimal at saints and so too Rohan at the cats phhheeeewwwww
    Wake up AG, you are dreaming

Senior Player

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    Very very curious that trade.

Their are two possibilities:
    1, We are REALLY in trouble Salary Cap wise
    2, Something big is afoot tradewise

How can we be in trouble with the Salary Cap when Hawthorn are looking to bring in Wingard and Scully - how the hell do they have cap room with O'Meara and Mitchell?
    I agree.
    Also, I regard Hanner's career as over after the '16 Grand Final injury.
    With the greatest respect to a once great player, he hardly had a seriously good game from then on.
    Handballs and kicks astray or falling short, nil pace and not keeping up with the game.
    Good luck to Saints and to Hanners.
    I feel ANYTHING we got was a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonsteinman View Post
    A Venn diagram featuring posters who have spent the last two years calling for Hanners’ head alongside those now saying the Swans have been ripped off would be interesting...
    Here:

100% match!

So what’s likely to happen to Nick Newman now Norths appear to have lost interest?

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Swan View Post
    It may not be a popular opinion, but I don't think Hanneberry is worth more than the Swans got. He is an OLD 27. 2017 appeared to be an "off year" but 2018 was even worse. Part of being a winning organization is knowing when to let go. I don't know if he has more than two years left in him, frankly, and there were too many nights last season where he was the worst Swans player on the field. And unlike McVeigh, he didn't seem to have too many leadership qualities. Like screaming at Aliir Aliir only to turn the ball over, again, by kicking directly to the opponents. Be honest, did we not all hold our breath close to every time he touched the footy? Saving the $$$ is the big win for the Swans...truly "addition by subtraction."
    Tend to agree with this. The club obviously intimately involved and witnessed his demise very close up. In saying that it is all out the window if he has a cracker season next year !

Senior Player
    Jones has got a long way to go, his disposals often result in turnovers. I'm not sure giving him more midfield time will benefit us, at least in the short term.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
    Jones has got a long way to go, his disposals often result in turnovers. I'm not sure giving him more midfield time will benefit us, at least in the short term.
    Jones isn't a perfect footballer but he takes the game on. People on here seem to be screaming out for someone to provide hard-running and take risks coming out of defence, which is exactly what Jones provides. That some of his disposals result in turnovers has as much, IMO, to do with a lack of experience and confidence (and hence movement to the correct places) of the players further up the ground who should be on the end of Jones' movements.

As I said, he's not perfect but it he were running the ball out with his pace and routinely hitting players lace out with his passes, he'd be an All-Australian type player.