Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam Goodes - Swans Legend

Veterans List
    He was on Studio Ten this morning.....they loved him.....and he looks very happy. That's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Thought it was worth bumping the Goodesy thread with more of his great work post-footy:

Adam Goodes kicks goals for Indigenous literacy: 'This is a basic human right' | Sport | The Guardian
    And it's a nice bit of kiddy balancing in the photo.

Senior Player
    Nice little acting cameo from the legend on Black Comedy last night. He still looks like he is in pretty good nick. As an aside the show is worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    So if I have this right, someone put a cross on Goodseys image on one occasion so they put Perspex over it? If that's correct it is massive overkill.
    It's not massive overkill at all... the guy that sells fruit from the fruit barrow on the corner only last week said that it was a crock he was AOTY. I asked him why... and he said because he's a wanker.
    WELL!!!
    I asked him have you actually met Adam ever, real live, in person? Of course, the answer was no.
    Well mate, how can you possibly know he's a wanker if you've never met him? I've actually met him quite a few times, and he's the nicest bloke you'll ever want to meet.
    Told him to pull his ignorant head in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Nice little acting cameo from the legend on Black Comedy last night. He still looks like he is in pretty good nick. As an aside the show is worth checking out.
    One of the best comedy shows in years.
    Thanks, I'll iview it.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veterans List
    A little reminder of the champion: Fantastic Five: Best of Adam Goodes - AFL.com.au

His speed in his early years was elite! This is a nice collection of highlights....

Here's Goodesy with Andrew Redmayne promoting Sydney FC's upcoming SCG matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXvi...JGRHZXZldxdSJ9
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Veterans List
    At the grand final when the retirees went around and they announced Cyril Rioli, the crowd cheered loudly and they weren't even hawks supporters. It made me sad that Goodes didn't get to experience a farewell like that.

Senior Player
    On a positive note, I was in our nation's capital over the weekend and the plaque commemorating Adam's achievement as
    2014 Australian Of The Year and his likeness were in fine form and looking good alongside Lake Burley Griffin (attachment 2203)
    and at the National Portrait Gallery (attachment 2204).

Attachment 2203Attachment 2204
    Last edited by KTigers; 22nd October 2018 at 12:53 PM.

Veterans List
    In the wake of an A league goalie being racially abused on the weekend by being called a 'monkey', more than once, it will be interesting to see if this situation is handled better than the AFL handled the Goodes situation. Great article below discussing this.....

Jamie Young responding to racist taunt means A-League must now confront its Adam Goodes moment - Sport - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Hinds is a great sports journo and he doesn't go easy on the AFL in this discussion....and rightly so. So.....will the A League learn from the AFL's pathectic-ness?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    In the wake of an A league goalie being racially abused on the weekend by being called a 'monkey', more than once, it will be interesting to see if this situation is handled better than the AFL handled the Goodes situation. Great article below discussing this.....

Jamie Young responding to racist taunt means A-League must now confront its Adam Goodes moment - Sport - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Hinds is a great sports journo and he doesn't go easy on the AFL in this discussion....and rightly so. So.....will the A League learn from the AFL's pathectic-ness?
    Probably not.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post

I think Hinds is drawing a long bow in comparing this with what happened to Goodes, or in suggesting that the A League needs to learn from how the AFL responded to Goodes' taunting.

There was nothing much wrong with the AFL's initial response when Goodes was vilified. And there have been a few subsequent incidents - sadly - involving other AFL players and I think these have been handled fine as well.

The booing that accompanied Goodes throughout the 2015 season was far more complex than an isolated instance of one supporter vilifying him, even if it had its roots in that incident. As Hinds notes, he was already a very high profile footballer, and his profile increased massively after he was granted the platform of being named Australian of the Year to initiate discussions within society about the impact of discrimination and vilification. That's not the situation the A League faces here.

Veterans List
    I think that is Hinds angle.....effectively nipping it in the bud, which I still contend the AFL did not do adequately after the initial 13 yo girl incident......which eventually lead to a champion being hounded out of the game by certain fans emboldened by this initial weak response.I think the A League can learn plenty from that.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast