Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AFLX......why, oh why?

Not quite sure what the point of this comp is. It serves no purpose for pre-season match fitness, it servers no purpose for existing fans to get behind their team, it serves no purpose outside of Melbourne, and a couple of games serve no purpose to build a game like AFL that can be played on soccer/rugby fields.

So what purpose is it ?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Not quite sure what the point of this comp is. It serves no purpose for pre-season match fitness, it servers no purpose for existing fans to get behind their team, it serves no purpose outside of Melbourne, and a couple of games serve no purpose to build a game like AFL that can be played on soccer/rugby fields.

So what purpose is it ?
    It serves to massage the egos of the people at AFL House who dreamed up the concept a year ago and who aren't ready to accept it was a duff idea. And it massages the egos of (at least two of) the team captains, who already give the impression they think fairly well of themselves and now get to wear a jumper blazoned with a motif that encapsulates their brilliance.

I think it's quite fortunate that Buddy needs a little R'n'R over the off-season. Had he been fit, I'm sure the AFL would have brought some pressure on him to captain one of the sides. While he likes to strut on-field, off-field I don't think he has anything like the ego of the selected captains. Mind you, Eddie doesn't come across that way either and he's accepted the role as probably the highest profile current indigenous player after Franklin. I suspect Dustin Martin was a first choice captain for the AFL too, and maybe he declined for the reasons I think Franklin would have been uncomfortable, leaving Riewoldt to step into his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It serves to massage the egos of the people at AFL House who dreamed up the concept a year ago and who aren't ready to accept it was a duff idea.
    Yes, I suspect - or perhaps it’s an unrealistic hope - that this format is a way of winding down the comp without scrapping it altogether after the first year.

The purpose of the comp is to generate headlines and keep footy in the news for as much of the year as possible.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    The purpose of the comp is to generate headlines and keep footy in the news for as much of the year as possible.
    Because it will never be a viable 'opposition' to the Big Bash.....summer is cricket and the BB and Test Cricket rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Yes, I suspect - or perhaps it’s an unrealistic hope - that this format is a way of winding down the comp without scrapping it altogether after the first year.
    Let's sincerely hope you are right.....

Veterans List
    I suspect Dustin Martin was a first choice captain for the AFL too, and maybe he declined for the reasons I think Franklin would have been uncomfortable, leaving Riewoldt to step into his shoes.
    You are right Liz. Martin was one of the names mentioned at the time along with Buddy's.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I love the schoolyard pick system - if it is genuine.
    That's about all my interest
    How is that going to work if one team is all aboriginal players. The other 3 captains can't pick them?
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I love the schoolyard pick system - if it is genuine.
    That's about all my interest
    I read it is going to be a 'live' draft.
    Could this concept (AFLX) get any worse?
    Please protect us from the AFL stupidity.

Merry Xmas to all.

Does this mean Melbourne cant defend it premiership?

https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/...1c0?width=1024

They were hoping to create a dynasty

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Whilst I'm with the general "I hope nobody gets hurt" sentiments, overall I think this is fine. I appreciate it seems a bit naff but I imagine kids will enjoy it.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

It serves to massage the egos of the people at AFL House who dreamed up the concept a year ago and who aren't ready to accept it was a duff idea. And it massages the egos of (at least two of) the team captains, who already give the impression they think fairly well of themselves and now get to wear a jumper blazoned with a motif that encapsulates their brilliance.

I think it's quite fortunate that Buddy needs a little R'n'R over the off-season. Had he been fit, I'm sure the AFL would have brought some pressure on him to captain one of the sides. While he likes to strut on-field, off-field I don't think he has anything like the ego of the selected captains. Mind you, Eddie doesn't come across that way either and he's accepted the role as probably the highest profile current indigenous player after Franklin. I suspect Dustin Martin was a first choice captain for the AFL too, and maybe he declined for the reasons I think Franklin would have been uncomfortable, leaving Riewoldt to step into his shoes.

This format was ill-conceived for the local market. But I don't think that was the reason they invented it. I think it was invented yo play on soccer fields Worldwide. To get interest from kids who would generally play soccer. As a way of promoting the game in Europe, the USA, South America, Africa and Asia.

I personally believe we should tap the Asian Market. Pour money into development programs in Asia. If kids who's average income is going to be $35/week hear they can make $300,000/week playing Aussie Rules they will play. Yes Soccer pays more, in Europe, some Asian leagues (Japan, China & Korea), USA, but the chances of making it that far are about 100,000,000/1.

I mean most of the kids would take the money offered in the VFL, SANFL, WAFL and minor leagues with glee. I mean some of the Melbourne suburban league teams pay more than VFL clubs

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wolftone57; 18th December 2018 at 11:36 AM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    This format was ill-conceived for the local market. But I don't think that was the reason they invented it. I think it was invented yo play on soccer fields Worldwide. To get interest from kids who would generally play soccer. As a way of promoting the game in Europe, the USA, South America, Africa and Asia.

I personally believe we should tap the Asian Market. Pour money into development programs in Asia. If kids who's average income is going to be $35/week hear they can make $300,000/week playing Aussie Rules they will play. Yes Soccer pays more, in Europe, some Asian leagues (Japan, China & Korea), USA, but the chances of making it that far are about 100,000,000/1.

I mean most of the kids would take the money offered in the VFL, SANFL, WAFL and minor leagues with glee. I mean some of the Melbourne suburban league teams pay more than VFL clubs

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk
    If they invented it for the overseas market, why spruik it with a competition using AFL players? No kid sitting in India or China or wherever is going to be inspired that their life may change by watching a one-off event featuring Fyfe and Dangerfield running around with Power Ranger motifs on their guernseys. It will take a multi-decade, grass-roots form of development to persuade people to play this version of game (and I use that description loosely). I'm not really sure that's a great use of the time and monetary resources of the AFL.

I presume the reference to the potential of earning $300k a week to be a typo. That's EPL kind of money.

Even if this form of the game did take off elsewhere (highly doubtful), it won't equip players to transition to proper AFL. The athletic, tactical and contact components aren't even in the same ballpark. Sure, there's a chance that the odd kid here or there might be able to transition (as Irish players occasionally do) but so what. And none of them is going to get an entry visa just so that they can come and join a Melbourne suburban league.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast