Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by chammond View Post
    How do you know that?
    The club has stated we have

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Saints are chasing the out of contract Zak Jones according to afl.com.au

Need for speed: Saints to target out-of-contract Swans jet - AFL.com.au

Premiership teams inevitably have a combination of drafted players as well as those brought in from other clubs - and usually multiple players who weren’t ‘big name’ signings.

When you look at the players who have moved clubs for greater opportunities across the league in the last few years, it is glaring that we have missed out.

Hopefully that is just a combination of the trade ban, and then a priority to draft a core of players who we wanted to give the opportunities to - rather than us trying and failing to attract such players. And that once we settle that core of young talent we can start to bring in the next version of a young Kennedy / Mumford / C.Bolton / Jolly / Richards etc etc.

We have had some bad luck as well - I think if Naismith wasn’t injured we wouldn’t be talking about Nankervis, and it seemed perfectly reasonable to offer Hannebery a big contract at the time given his performance and age back then.

I remember a fair few not liking Richards and Grundy in their first season or two here

When I watched kennedy at the hawks I thought his skill levels were terrible

Will be interesting to watch Thurlow and Clarke

I expect Menzel to have an impact as soon as he is playing and could really help with his2 goal per game average

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I remember a fair few not liking Richards and Grundy in their first season or two here

I expect Menzel to have an impact as soon as he is playing and could really help with his2 goal per game average
    Grundy is an odd player to include in this comment.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

Yes I'm with you AG, even though Clarke and Thurlow have had some bad games I'm not writing either of them off yet.

Thurlow has shown he can get the pill, but his disposal and decision making (which was supposedly his strength) has been poor.

I feel Clarke has been played out of position, he was bought in to replace Hanners gut running on a wing and should be used that way. Having said that his disposal has also been poor. I don't think I've ever seen someone with such poor handball skills at AFL level. How he has got this far without something so simple being remedied is puzzling, its easiest skill to learn

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Saints are chasing the out of contract Zak Jones according to afl.com.au

Need for speed: Saints to target out-of-contract Swans jet - AFL.com.au
    Nothing new here. The Saints and NM target everything not bolted to the ground.

No one would be surprised if we offered Jones something like a 5 year deal between $3-4 million. That would get him through the free agency start in 2 years and take him to 29 yo.

In his 6th year, it's just about when these players start producing at their peak level. He's a very important component of the team and will surely be treated as such. He's not a player we can afford to lose, considering where we are in our rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Yes I'm with you AG, even though Clarke and Thurlow have had some bad games I'm not writing either of them off yet.

Thurlow has shown he can get the pill, but his disposal and decision making (which was supposedly his strength) has been poor.

I feel Clarke has been played out of position, he was bought in to replace Hanners gut running on a wing and should be used that way. Having said that his disposal has also been poor. I don't think I've ever seen someone with such poor handball skills at AFL level. How he has got this far without something so simple being remedied is puzzling, its easiest skill to learn
    I could be wrong but I have mostly seen Clarke running off the wing.

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Nothing new here. The Saints and NM target everything not bolted to the ground.

No one would be surprised if we offered Jones something like a 5 year deal between $3-4 million. That would get him through the free agency start in 2 years and take him to 29 yo.

In his 6th year, it's just about when these players start producing at their peak level. He's a very important component of the team and will surely be treated as such. He's not a player we can afford to lose, considering where we are in our rebuild.
    I think 5 years at $800k is overpaying and that's what got us into trouble in the first place. He's a good player but I'm not sure he'll ever be a real topliner. 5 @ $600k is probably close to the mark

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    I think 5 years at $800k is overpaying and that's what got us into trouble in the first place. He's a good player but I'm not sure he'll ever be a real topliner. 5 @ $600k is probably close to the mark
    If he continues the season the way he's started, there will be clubs offering around the 800k mark. What will it take to keep him? It will be interesting to see what offers come for Coniglio and both Kellys.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Grundy is an odd player to include in this comment.
    Just talking about players first season or two in snrs not necessarily a new player to the club via trade

I remember people getting the poohs with grundys kicking / felt he took way to long to pull the trigger and left us in turnover territory too often

Overall just trying to keep my perspective re players coming into the Snr team and we as supporters tend to watch them with a critical eye

Lloyd was bagged by so many

Florent not particularly liked by a fair few

Cunningham same

Yet time in the team and playing roles they have improved dramatically

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Ok, I'm putting it out there.....

After watching a segment on Talking Footy last night on should the Swans trade Buddy? The consensus at the end was No!

I am now of the opinion that we won't win a flag with Buddy, as long as the players have a mindset of "give it to Buddy at all costs"

The way I see it, we need;

a: get another key forward to provide an alternative
    b: play Buddy further up the ground, using his field kicking to advantage.
    c: change the mindset.

He hasn't had the same influence so far this year, is he still hampered by injury or are we seeing the beginning of his decline?

So if we look at trading him, while he has currency:

What are the ramifications with the AFL?

What club would consider him? Could we swap him for Coniglio at least the AFL get their wish?

I cannot see it happening, but maybe we need start thinking about this scenario.
    sprite