Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 5 v Tigers

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Your reasons for dropping Jack?
    He was @@@@e. Is that a good enough reason? Had plenty aof trial at NEAFL level and came in as an experienced player. You expect more than what was delivered. He's gone. Time to move on and play youth.

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I'll confess Ludwig, I don't watch SAFL or VFL so only assume it's stronger than NEAFL based on mature age talent that comes out of their competition. NEAFL is definitely getting better but when we play some of the weaker sides like Canberra, Redlands and NT, it doesn't seem to be much of a challenge. The AFL reserve teams are very dependent on injuries so are strong at the start of the season but can deteriorate as the season goes on, with teams full of young academy boys. Look at what happen to our team in the GF v Southport last year. Plus so many byes. But I take your point about our 2-4 year players needing AFL time but only if we are confident they are up to it. 1st year players can also benefit hugely from playing mainly ones straight away - Papley, Heeney and Mills are 3 I can think of.
    It is not the SANFL it is the SANFL

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    My understanding is that as part of the AFL's Marvel - MCG stadium deal, Richmond is required to play one home game at Marvel. Invariably it has been us last 2 seasons, as it's also linked to the AFL's fixturing policy for each Non Vic club to play 2 H&A games at the MCG (otherwise we'd get 3 MCG games). Not sure if the other MCG tenant teams are also bounded by this clause.
    They are

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    He was @@@@e. Is that a good enough reason? Had plenty aof trial at NEAFL level and came in as an experienced player. You expect more than what was delivered. He's gone. Time to move on and play youth.

He kicked two goals playing as a small forward , more than a pass I would say. No one is expecting the jack of 2013-14, just that he can still contribute at a reasonable level, while adding some hardness and experience. Ticked all those boxes on the weekend I think , played better than Parker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post

OK, keep your hair on! He kicked two goals.....in a team that can't kick more than ten a game, that stands for something. Time to stop dropping players after one game back.....Ronke's played four crap games in a row now and Keiren played better than him on Thursday.

Steve, I agree with you. Jack did ok. You are right Ronke has played 4 crap games. I was looking forward to seeing him using his speed to harass and put forward pressure and crumb but this hasn't eventuated very successfully. But in fairness we have been poor with our clearances from the centre. We need another ruckman to help out Sinclair who is getting battered. Maybe give Cameron another go or Allir perhaps, but that would weaken our backline? Is it time to bring back Melican?
    I guess the selection committee will sort out all the pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    .Ronke's played four crap games in a row now
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    You are right Ronke has played 4 crap games.
    But Ronke has only played 3 games this year. He didn't play round 1.

Now we have to keep him in the side this week. We don't want to make liars out of you.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Kieren obviously played his way back into the Firsts.

Ronke is not back to his best, but don't forget what he did to Hawthorn. I'd give him time, perhaps encourage him to work hard and not to be afraid of not running out the game.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Ok I’ve been thinking an but more about this.

Ruck situation is clearly bad for us. Sinkers has toiled away terrifically over the last couple of years but he got toweled up on Thursday night. I think we are lucky it hasn’t happened more often.

I think we need to give the two ruckman structure another go.

Bring in Cameron. And not use him as a forward primarily like we did in his only game so far at senior level. Bring Cameron in to play centre main ruck. Then let sinkers go play forward and ruck while in the forward half. Cameron can play main ruck and drop back as defensive ruck. At least he will see a bit of it around the ground and get to compete rather than feeling out of the game as deep forward. We are loosing the clearances dramatically so we need to try something different.

I think that in order to make room for Cameron I would let Blakey have a rest in the NEAFL. Love the guy and his promise but let him have a rest.

I would also play rowbottom as I’ve mentioned before and stoddart

Ronde to stay in but on notice. Needs to apply more pressure. He stays probably until Menzel is fit.

Richmond are a perfect team to try two rucks against because nank won’t be dominant like gawn was so it gives Cameron a chance to show his wares and us to see how the structure works.

IN: Cameron Rowbottom Stoddart
    OUT: Blakey Jack McInerney

Senior Player
    I don't think the problem is so much individual players, as how they are interacting with each other.

I hesitate to use terms like "team balance", as I'm not sure precisely how that would be defined or if it is even a real thing. I just get a sense, this season and much of last year, that the team is struggling to "gel". Perhaps it's a function of shared experience, how many games players have played together. Seems we've had a lot of debutants, some key outs due to injury, formerly-reliable veterans suffering lack of form.

Maybe it all just adds up to a team that just isn't functioning as it should, and time will sort things out.

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post

Ruck situation is clearly bad for us. Sinkers has toiled away terrifically over the last couple of years but he got toweled up on Thursday night. I think we are lucky it hasn’t happened more often.

Bring in Cameron. And not use him as a forward primarily like we did in his only game so far at senior level. Bring Cameron in to play centre main ruck. Then let sinkers go play forward and ruck while in the forward half. Cameron can play main ruck and drop back as defensive ruck. At least he will see a bit of it around the ground and get to compete rather than feeling out of the game as deep forward. We are loosing the clearances dramatically so we need to try something different.
    I agree we should bring in Cameron, whether we keep Sinclair in the side or not. We can look at that as a separate issue on its own merits.

Your point is right, that we are just getting killed trying to control the ruck contests and need to find another solution. Unfortunately, we really can't count on Naismith, this year or even in the future. His body just hasn't held up. If he comes good, well that's a bonus.

That just leaves Cameron as the only one who has a realistic chance of challenging the better ruckmen in the competition, but he will need time to develop at AFL level. He's a ruckman who added forward craft, as opposed to Sinclair, who was a forward who has tried to add ruck craft to his arsenal. Cameron is the more natural ruckman, in both size and technique.

What are we waiting for?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I agree we should bring in Cameron, whether we keep Sinclair in the side or not. We can look at that as a separate issue on its own merits.

Your point is right, that we are just getting killed trying to control the ruck contests and need to find another solution. Unfortunately, we really can't count on Naismith, this year or even in the future. His body just hasn't held up. If he comes good, well that's a bonus.

That just leaves Cameron as the only one who has a realistic chance of challenging the better ruckmen in the competition, but he will need time to develop at AFL level. He's a ruckman who added forward craft, as opposed to Sinclair, who was a forward who has tried to add ruck craft to his arsenal. Cameron is the more natural ruckman, in both size and technique.

What are we waiting for?
    It’s become super clear to me this week. Cameron has to be given a go. And not just a single game. He has to get a run of games.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast