Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 8 Swans vs Dons Fri 10-May at SCG #AFLSwansDons @sydneyswans

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    I don’t understand how if the umpire didn’t give Rampe a 50m penalty for abuse and didn’t give a penalty for the post climb..... how can he now be fined for these actions? Does that mean every time a player is abusive, wether the umpire deems it worth a 50m penalty or not they will also be fined? My guess is the AFL has reacted to the media nonsense. Talk about an about face.
    AFL hopeless and reactive. Weak as piss as usual.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    My guess is the AFL has reacted to the media nonsense. Talk about an about face.
    That's exactly what is was. Totally pathetic reactionary behaviour in response to the audience they hold dear.....the football journo's and fans of Victoria. Make enough noise, a la Eddie and you'll get what you want..... the sense of arrogant entitlement is sickening.

.....and I now see the AFLPA aren't too impressed by the AFL's actions in regard to this situation.

AFLPA concerned over 'excessive' Rampe fines - AFL.com.au

Paul Marsh, Chief Executive AFLPA:

"The AFLPA is concerned about the sanctions handed down to Dane Rampe," Marsh said on Tuesday night.

"With respect to the sanction relating to comments directed at an umpire, whilst not condoning these comments, they happened in the spur of the moment, Dane was clearly contrite, issued a genuine apology and has an exemplary disciplinary record.

"The size of the fine is excessive given these factors. In our view this was an opportunity for education rather than heavy sanctions.

"The sanction for climbing the goalpost is puzzling given the AFL’s position that this action was not even worthy of a free kick during the game."

Now, settle down Victoria and move on...... and AFL, have a good hard look at yourself.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 14th May 2019 at 10:58 PM.

No mention of Reid on the AFL website current injury list

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    That's exactly what is was. Totally pathetic reactionary behaviour in response to the audience they hold dear.....the football journo's and fans of Victoria. Make enough noise, a la Eddie and you'll get what you want..... the sense of arrogant entitlement is sickening.

.....and I now see the AFLPA aren't too impressed by the AFL's actions in regard to this situation.

AFLPA concerned over 'excessive' Rampe fines - AFL.com.au

Paul Marsh, Chief Executive AFLPA:

"The AFLPA is concerned about the sanctions handed down to Dane Rampe," Marsh said on Tuesday night.

"With respect to the sanction relating to comments directed at an umpire, whilst not condoning these comments, they happened in the spur of the moment, Dane was clearly contrite, issued a genuine apology and has an exemplary disciplinary record.

"The size of the fine is excessive given these factors. In our view this was an opportunity for education rather than heavy sanctions.

"The sanction for climbing the goalpost is puzzling given the AFL’s position that this action was not even worthy of a free kick during the game."

Now, settle down Victoria and move on...... and AFL, have a good hard look at yourself.
    Well said Paul Marsh. Thanks Stevoswan

Veterans List
    Want a laugh, head over to the BF Essendon board, they are still foaming at the mouth, juicy stuff :-) We play them again in 7 weeks.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Want a laugh, head over to the BF Essendon board, they are still foaming at the mouth, juicy stuff :-) We play them again in 7 weeks.
    I can just imagine the reaction whenever Rampe gets the ball in that next game against them at the MCG. It was bad enough last year with Buddy but this is going to be next level!

Veterans List
    Apparently Rampe is the seventh VFL/AFL player to be sanctioned for "shaking or climbing" a goalpost. Interestingly the first was also a Swan, Arthur Hando and his story is simply quite amazing.

It can be read here....

The very strange history of the goalpost shaker: Sorry Dane, you're not the first - AFL.com.au

I still maintain that Dane was not trying to shake the post, rather be taller for a possible goal line touch.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I still maintain that Dane was not trying to shake the post, rather be taller for a possible goal line touch.
    If he wants to stay out of trouble with the AFL he just needs to start elbowing opposition players in the head instead.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    If he wants to stay out of trouble with the AFL he just needs to start elbowing opposition players in the head instead.
    .....and liking homophobic tweets.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Of course, if he elbowed somebody in the head, and then the head shook the post; then he'd be Luke Hodge.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Thanks for spotting this story, absolutely loved it. "Just exuberance of spirits" - what a lovely way of putting it.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

It just won't go away. EFC still whinging why free kick wasn't paid against Rampe and have officially approached the AFL. Yes the umpire could've paid the free kick but there are many free kicks which are paid/not paid in a game. This was just one. We could easily make case on the dodgy free kicks EFC got in front of goal and the Heppell throw that wasn't paid which resulted in their last goal.

I bet had free kick against Rampe been paid there would've been even bigger controversy in the media about it, with the old "you wouldn't want to decide a Grand Final like that" card brought out.

My understanding of the goal post shaking rule (there isn't any evidence that it was Rampe's intention anyway), that it's intended for when a player has a shot for goal and misses as a result. Not when player is out of scoring range and ball drops 10 metres short. Umpire/AFL called it correctly the incident had no bearing on Myers kick. Robbo & Woosha want EFC to get 4 points based on technicality rather than reality!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...16-p51nwe.html
    Last edited by KSAS; 16th May 2019 at 11:44 AM.