Page 38 of 521 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

"Channel Seven VFL commentator and expert" Campbell Brown says clubs should go after Kyle Dunkley. And that we passed him over as a father-son last year. I wonder if he expressed the same desire not to leave VIC as his brother?

The player your club should take in the mid-season draft

Brown feels Dunkley, who was eligible as a father-son pick by Sydney last year, could be an AFL standard player for a decade. “I know who I’d take, we saw him play last Sunday and it was Kyle Dunkley,” Brown told SEN’s Time On. “He’s Josh Dunkley’s brother who was overlooked by Sydney last year, could have gone father-son, now they want him six months later, but he is open for the draft. He kicked three goals. He’s a footballer, there’s no doubt about that."

“There’s plenty of good talent floating around in all state league competitions, I think if you’re Carlton and you’re looking position specific, you might be looking for a small forward in Sam Lowson or something like that, but he would be a guy I’d go for. You could potentially have a really good footballer for the next decade.”

Brown broke down what to expect from Dunkley if he is picked up by a club.

“He plays half forward. He’s very similar to Josh (Dunkley) in a way, he’s a solid enough build, pretty smart footballer, knows his way around the forward line,” he said. “He was courageous a couple of times, takes gutsy marks back with the flight. He was a real standout against a pretty good Box Hill side. They’ve got a lot of mature age guys. He held his own against those guys.”

Dunkley starred in Footscray’s draw with Box Hill, kicking three goals from 11 disposals.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    No reflection on the Dunkley kid, but I'm having trouble getting my head around an 11 disposal "star"
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    No reflection on the Dunkley kid, but I'm having trouble getting my head around an 11 disposal "star"
    Keep reading this board and you'll find that many people now believe Gazza Rohan has become one!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Daniel Menzel on the weekend. 3 goals, 11 disposals. Described by the Swans website as "Exciting forward"
    Admittedly it wasn't a full game and his first back from injury.

Veteran Site Admin
    I don't think a disposal count is particularly important for a forward who is kicking goals, particularly if they are also effective in applying forward half pressure and in setting up goals for others.

That said, I am not sure a half-forward is really what the team needs, certainly not in the short term (with Menzel hopefully to be available soon). Maybe whoever is recruited will be with an eye to the longer term. Who knows. Even then, I think genuine midfielders should be more of a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Daniel Menzel on the weekend. 3 goals, 11 disposals. Described by the Swans website as "Exciting forward"
    Admittedly it wasn't a full game and his first back from injury.
    One thing that I noticed about Menzel on the weekend, is that he seems to have made himself really popular around the club. When he kicked his first goal, all of the side lined up to congratulate him; even the kids playing deep in defence.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't think a disposal count is particularly important for a forward who is kicking goals, particularly if they are also effective in applying forward half pressure and in setting up goals for others.

That said, I am not sure a half-forward is really what the team needs, certainly not in the short term (with Menzel hopefully to be available soon). Maybe whoever is recruited will be with an eye to the longer term. Who knows. Even then, I think genuine midfielders should be more of a priority.
    Do you think Liz that the club views him as a potential inside mid? His brother has moved back into the centre with great success and various "experts" have described him as like Josh.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Do you think Liz that the club views him as a potential inside mid? His brother has moved back into the centre with great success and various "experts" have described him as like Josh.
    Yes he does play like Josh, strong bullish inside midfielder, and like Josh he also has the ability to play forward

I was a bit ho hum about us recruiting him in the mid season draft, but I'm coming around to the idea. He potentially could play this year, but it would also be a long term replacement of JK

Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Smith on the long-term injury list.
    Oh dear.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Smith, loyal servant, great player - maybe time to retire?

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Ramps is copping it a bit in the media today...

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/swa...15-p51nro.html

It was hilarious - leave him alone!!
    This last article is interesting as it is implying that Rampe was fined excessively because he is a swan.
    The AFL retaliating against the Swans is something weve all suspected, but you dont see it in print very often.