Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reg Retires

Veterans List
    Congratulations Reg on a great career and thanks for the 2012 premiership.

It's sad news but I think we all expected it. I know from personal experience how a back injury can affect normal life. I can only imagine how difficult it is to play footy. It was sad hearing him say he couldn't bend down to pick up his son from the cot.

A shame he won't get a farewell game but hopefully he does a lap of honour on Friday and gets a great reception.

I am also a little sad. He has been such a rock in defence that he often was taken for granted. I certainly think he was very stiff to not have earnt an All Australian. I hope he sticks around the club in some capacity to mentor our young defenders on positioning and body work because he was one of the best.

Very sad to see Reg move on but somewhat expected. It will also help our rejuvenation if we can select another player in the mid-season draft.

He's been the stalwart of our defence for the last decade. Neither fast, nor flashy, but he always managed to make up ground on his more agile opponents, up until recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I had a funny feeling that someone might retire before May 27! He's been such a rock in defence.

Grundy calls time - sydneyswans.com.au

Sydney coach John Longmire paid tribute to Grundy’s extraordinary career.

“Heath has been an unbelievable servant of our club for a long time and there’s no doubt he will be missed,” Longmire said. “In terms of leadership, Heath set an example for all of us with his meticulous preparation, dedication and passion for his craft. Each week he’d line up on the opposition’s most damaging and biggest forward – and he’d just get the job done. He’s a premiership player and a champion of our club. We wish Heath, Elise, Reggie and Jameson all the best for the next phase of life.”

Sydney Swans chairman Andrew Pridham said Grundy is one of the greatest Swans stories.

“Heath has been an anchor of our defence over the past decade. His dedication and resilience saw him progress from the rookie list to being in the top 10 players for games played at the Sydney Swans,” Pridham said. “A premiership player and Life Member, Heath will be remembered for his on-field toughness. He is an immensely popular figure at the club and his strength of character and friendliness has benefitted everyone he has dealt with over the past 15 years.”
    Funny that he named his first born "Reg". Heath and Elise must have a sense of humour.

I loved Reg. I'm a bit sad at the news of his retirement. He was a great guy on and off the field - was genuinely interested in having real conversations too.

Goes up to 11
    He was one of my favourites of the last 20+ years. Thanks Reg.

It's a bit of a sad by-product of the otherwise interesting and exciting mid season draft.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Funny that he named his first born "Reg". Heath and Elise must have a sense of humour.
    First son is Reggie. Yes very apt.

Senior Player
    Sad news. Says a lot that he's a favourite to so many and liked by everyone.

Ted Richards reposted a link to the article he wrote about Grundy last year, well worth reading again:

Glutes, tools and Tokyo — Ted’s tribute to Reg - AFL Players

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Yes, a sad moment. Wildly under-rated for much of his career - had he been with a Melbourne based club I think he'd be far more respected. Went from rookie to failed forward to absolute gun defender who routinely destroyed the best forwards - should be extremely proud of his career.
    It's a shame that Maibaum is injured - I view him as the natural inheritor of the Reg mantle.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    A valuable (and outside the club greatly underrated) full back. Hard but fair, not overly fast but great sense of where to be, a reliable rock for his backline to lean on. Best wishes for the future Reg.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

The Rock of Gilbraltar of our defence. True bloodsman. Tough and underrated. So different to the other legendary no 39 who occupied the opposite goal square.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Sad news. Says a lot that he's a favourite to so many and liked by everyone.

Ted Richards reposted a link to the article he wrote about Grundy last year, well worth reading again:

Glutes, tools and Tokyo — Ted’s tribute to Reg - AFL Players
    Thanks for that neilfws. Teddy talks about Reg having "a huge engine". I remember being surprised when they showed the GPS stats that Reg had often covered the most ground during a game.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast