Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 13 weekly discussion thread

#AFL Round 13 weekly discussion thread

Well it's the bye rounds and this week we are sitting out and our players are getting some much needed R&R.

Meanwhile Damien Barrett is beating the drum about Longmire potentially moving elsewhere, even if the article is mostly quoting Andrew Pridham saying it's not going to happen: BARRETT: Does Horse stay or go? It's like looking at a boat on a marina, says chairman - AFL.com.au.

Came across this article by Shane Edwards from Richmond FC about his teammate Sydney Stack (who we were sizing up with interest around the time of the rookie draft last year) on aflplayers website: Stack on the (old town) road to greatness - AFL Players. What a great character he is! I highly recommend watching or re-watching the 30 second clip of Stack dancing around to the song 'Old Town Road'.

The news and articles about the fallout of The Final Quarter keeping raining down, which is great. Hoping to bring it to my workplace and delighted to hear it will be screened on Channel 10. Looking forward to the next one from Stan Grant also.

After the win on the weekend, is there room for romantics to dream about playing finals still this year? Is there any chance? Our draw opens up over the balance of the season and although we have some tough games (Geelong, Giants) you'd rate us a good chance in many of the others, at least if our form holds. Doesn't seem impossible that we could win go 8-2 over the balance of the season. 12 wins plus good percentage, could that get us there? It's amazing to be even dreaming like this when the conversations about whether we were in the mix to get the spoon were getting more and more real before we beat Essendon.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    After the win on the weekend, is there room for romantics to dream about playing finals still this year? Is there any chance? Our draw opens up over the balance of the season and although we have some tough games (Geelong, Giants) you'd rate us a good chance in many of the others, at least if our form holds. Doesn't seem impossible that we could win go 8-2 over the balance of the season. 12 wins plus good percentage, could that get us there? It's amazing to be even dreaming like this when the conversations about whether we were in the mix to get the spoon were getting more and more real before we beat Essendon.
    I have the same dream. We've got Hawks, Suns, Bombers, Blues, Dockers over next 5 games. If we win 4 we'd be 8-9 and in the mix for the eight.

The whole "Does Horse stay or go?" is such a media storm in a teacup, a bit like "Should the Swans trade Buddy?" Can we please get back to wild speculation about which players might come to the Swans in the offseason.

Senior Player
    This may as well go here: Swans have a "season so far" video feature for various players and just released one for Papley.

Season so far: Tom Papley - sydneyswans.com.au

Gee, he is good. That gather on the boundary, run and goal versus North is like something Eddie Betts would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I have the same dream. We've got Hawks, Suns, Bombers, Blues, Dockers over next 5 games. If we win 4 we'd be 8-9 and in the mix for the eight.

The whole "Does Horse stay or go?" is such a media storm in a teacup, a bit like "Should the Swans trade Buddy?" Can we please get back to wild speculation about which players might come to the Swans in the offseason.
    Sport throws up many a curved ball and against-all-odds outcomes.
    The boys are dreaming so I will too.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    This may as well go here: Swans have a "season so far" video feature for various players and just released one for Papley.

Gee, he is good. That gather on the boundary, run and goal versus North is like something Eddie Betts would do.
    I saw that earlier and thought the same re: Paps v North being Betts like. I also saw the Aliir one and considered posting both, so here's the Aliir 'season so far'. It really shows how far he's come and how good he could be.....such a good athlete.

Season so far: Aliir Aliir - sydneyswans.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post

Yes, I think that I wrote in the match thread, that it was a really good Eddie Betts impersonation. Though strangely, there's a couple of his goals, in the AFL's best of the season so far compilation, but that one isn't there.

Veterans List
    What a round coming up, all six games could be 50/50, can make a case for all 12 teams to be winners, tipping nightmare!

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Richard Hinds closing paragraph sums it up:
    "The result? The congestion remains, the scoring is even lower and there are even more reasons for fans to become frustrated with the umpires who have had a target painted on their backs by the officials very well paid to protect them."

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by GoRhino View Post
    Richard Hinds closing paragraph sums it up:
    "The result? The congestion remains, the scoring is even lower and there are even more reasons for fans to become frustrated with the umpires who have had a target painted on their backs by the officials very well paid to protect them."
    Beautifully put. Hinds is a great sports journo.

PS: I just read the whole article.....a superb assessment of the sad joke that is the AFL.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 14th June 2019 at 06:53 PM.

Hawks having a lot of possessions and a lot of inside 50s, but not doing much damage on the scoreboard.

Bet they lift next week

Clarke tagging Omeara effectively... a good omen for next week.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast