Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Callum Mills

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    2. To have a strong backline is so important. The strength of a backline is brains and skill above all. Mills leading vocally more so this year has freed up rampe in attack which has been a pleasure to watch in 2019. As we all know after watching Luke hodge over the years an infield coach is imperative and it appears Mills is doing this more and more when I attend the live games. Btw Mills stats are not much different to Luke hodge and they play a similar role. Mills in front.

Callum Mills
    Disposals - 18
    Marks - 7
    Tackles - 2.3

Like hodge
    Disposals - 16
    Marks - 5.5
    Tackles - 1.8
    To be fair, Hodge is 35 and in his last year of playing, and although handy, is no where near the player he was in his prime.
    Mills should be ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    To be fair, Hodge is 35 and in his last year of playing, and although handy, is no where near the player he was in his prime.
    Mills should be ahead of him.
    Agree, not the best comparison there.,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont agree in part

Have u watched hodge play this season ?

I think he is playing the HBF General role as good as anyone in the Comp

Agree hodge hasn’t played in the HBF / midfield rotation Role he did for part of his career when at the hawks - which is physically more demanding

Equally I think Macca at 34 when playing is just as good if not better in his link / general role off the HBF

Senior Player
    I dont agree in part

Have u watched hodge play this season ?

I think he is playing the HBF General role as good as anyone in the Comp

Agree hodge hasn’t played in the HBF / midfield rotation Role he did for part of his career when at the hawks - which is physically more demanding

Equally I think Macca at 34 when playing is just as good if not better in his link / general role off the HBF
    If I was selecting a team to play tomorrow, I could quite easily think of a dozen players at least that I would select off a half back flank before Hodge or McVeigh. Both great players, but neither are anywhere near their peak.

Getting a bit off topic here!

In response to the salary issue, I don't think any figures were bandied about when Callum resigned, but if we're true to form we've probably overpaid by a couple of hundred k!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I remember someone on here said he plays mid in a similar style to Pendlebury - now that would be fantastic if that's where he ends up long term.
    I guess if he ends up being the next Nick Smith though, that's still an excellent outcome. Smith has been great, one of my favourites for a while.
    I personally wouldn't be happy about a pick 3 playing in the back pocket. It's a either a waste of talent or we paid too high a price to get him. I just hope he isn't a victim of Longmires stifling coaching style.

I find myself over balancing on how I see the “Mills” midfield debate week in week out

Some of the layers:

1. I don’t think he can play in the midfield as much right now with Kennedy, Heeney, Parker, Hewett, Jones already in the centre midfield rotation the majority of the time. To add Mills to the centre / roving roles would be a very slow group compared to many teams. We would not be able to match the spread / break from a contest and this is critical in the way the games are umpired and the rules have promoted keeping you feet always.

2. To have a strong backline is so important. The strength of a backline is brains and skill above all. Mills leading vocally more so this year has freed up rampe in attack which has been a pleasure to watch in 2019. As we all know after watching Luke hodge over the years an infield coach is imperative and it appears Mills is doing this more and more when I attend the live games. Btw Mills stats are not much different to Luke hodge and they play a similar role. Mills in front.

Callum Mills
    Disposals - 18
    Marks - 7
    Tackles - 2.3

Like hodge
    Disposals - 16
    Marks - 5.5
    Tackles - 1.8

3. I think next year we will see Mills get more game time rotation thru the midfield / HBF as other backline players become more experienced and others push hard for a role

4. Also If jones doesn’t stay next year I would imagine Mills might get more centre / inside midfield time on the ball
    Fascinating stats. Do they include Hidges golden years or just the last year or two?

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I personally wouldn't be happy about a pick 3 playing in the back pocket. It's a either a waste of talent or we paid too high a price to get him. I just hope he isn't a victim of Longmires stifling coaching style.
    Well, we didnt really pay pick 3 for him. We paid with a few other picks which "equalled" by some bizarre formula the value of pick 3.
    For a team who always finishes high up in the ladder, we have used the academy to snare some early picks, so well done us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123