Page 36 of 145 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

If Kinnear thought he was good enough, he'd be here.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I agree Boddo. I really liked Dunkley as a player. He was the Jeremy McGovern of the day essentially. Just as good.
    He was fairly guarded in the interview, but it seems his disengagement from the club comes from his not accepting
    that his time was up as a player, and he is still carrying the grudge 17 years down the track. It's highly likely his
    footballer sons noticed his reticence about the Swans over the years.
    I'm not sure ending his career was a great call. Sure he'd gotten a bit slower (but then his speed and kicking were never attributes) but he was still getting the job done in 2002, I suspect the club was expecting Saddington and Schauble to be the first choice key defenders in the future, and either didn't rate him as insurance or didn't think he'd be able to deal with such a state of affairs.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Tony Armstrong making his debut as a match commentator with MMM this weekend. He will be the station's first indigenous caller. Listened to his audition tapes & has a great voice for calling the game. Wish him all the best & hope he straightens up their inherent boys club.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Tony Armstrong making his debut as a match commentator with MMM this weekend. He will be the station's first indigenous caller. Listened to his audition tapes & has a great voice for calling the game. Wish him all the best & hope he straightens up their inherent boys club.
    thanks for sharing that KSAS. Hope he has a great call! And good on MMM for giving him the chance to show how good he can be.

Tony Armstrong has also joined Mathew Stokes and Andrew Krakouer as a panelist on the weekly AFL-site video ‘Colour Of Your Jumper’ - something I enjoy watching. It is presented by Shelley Ware and focuses on indigenous players and issues, though not exclusively. I like the informal, less aggressive approach compared to many other panel presentations. And Tony contributes incisive and thoughtful comments.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Tony Armstrong has also joined Mathew Stokes and Andrew Krakouer as a panelist on the weekly AFL-site video ‘Colour Of Your Jumper’ - something I enjoy watching. It is presented by Shelley Ware and focuses on indigenous players and issues, though not exclusively. I like the informal, less aggressive approach compared to many other panel presentations. And Tony contributes incisive and thoughtful comments.
    Sounds similar to Marn Gook footy show- lighthearted and more respectful. Remember Armstrong playing a real good game v Essendon in 2012 when we beat them at the then Etihad.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    ‘lighthearted and more respectful’.
    Yes, that is exactly how I would describe ‘Colour Of Your Jumper’.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Do you know which match he will be commentating?

Tommy Walsh gradually getting back to All-Ireland form:

Tommy Walsh's decisive impact, the Kerry comeback and where did it go wrong for Tyrone?

Quote Originally Posted by chammond View Post
    Love that Tommy is referred to as ‘the former Sydney Swans player’!

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Love that Tommy is referred to as ‘the former Sydney Swans player’!
    Why wouldn’t he be? He played zero senior games for StKilda over 2 seasons he spent 50% more years on our list for infinity more senior games with us (5).

Andrew Dunkley is referred to as a former Saint. Daryn Cresswell isn’t referrer to as a former Cat.
    Last edited by 0918330512; 13th August 2019 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Why wouldn’t he be? He played zero senior games for StKilda over 2 seasons he spent 50% more years on our list for infinity more senior games with us (5).

Andrew Dunkley is referred to as a former Saint. Daryn Cresswell isn’t referrer to as a former Cat.
    I think you have missed my point. This writeup is on an Irish online sports site, with an emphasis on Irish sportspeople, presumably predominantly read by Irish people and ex-pats, about Tommy playing Gaelic football.

I love the fact that the Sydney Swans are so well known in football circles in Ireland that Tommy is referred to as ‘the former Sydney Swans player’ with no need for further explanation about what that means.

On another occasion on RWO I told my anecdote of telling an Irish man sitting in a carpark with his menagerie of pet animals on the coast in the Ring of Kerry that I was from Australia - and he immediately said ‘Sydney Swans’!

The Irish love their football!