Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brownlow Drought

Brownlow Drought

It's been 13 years since a Swans player (Adam Goodes - 2006) won the Brownlow. This is the longest drought between Brownlows since the club produced its first Brownlow medalist, Herbie Matthews in 1940. That was a 16 year wait when the medal was first awarded in 1924. Growing up, Brownlow medals is what i looked upon with pride as Swans premiership(s) seemed like light years away. We now have 12 Brownlow medals in our collection, wish our premierships (5) was much the same count! I think Isaac Heeney and Nick Blakey are the most likely Brownlow (and Norm Smith ) prospects from our current group.

Veterans List
    We have been lucky and have had a number of great players playing in the same team over those years, so they all take votes off each other. We have constantly had players finishing in the top 5.

I loved it when Kelly won because it was so unexpected. Hopefully we see another one soon 😊.

Also, my impression is that back in the early days, often stand out players in ordinary sides polled votes. eg Bobby has a chance to poll 3 because he stood out and he didn’t have players taking votes from him. Now, votes (in particular 3 votes) generally go to players in a winning side

Who will be our next Brownlow medallist?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Who will be our next Brownlow medallist?
    In order of likelihood: Blakey, Florent, Heeney.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    In order of likelihood: Blakey, Florent, Heeney.
    You, Mark?

Heeney has the talent but has yet to really impose himself on games.
    Florent maybe ...

I agree Blakey looks like he has the potential to be exceptional out of all of them. And has the ability to be a match winner.

Warming the Bench
    Dawson - If they find a spot for him and use him in it for the year. Too hard as the Mr Fix it currently

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger1300 View Post
    Dawson - If they find a spot for him and use him in it for the year. Too hard as the Mr Fix it currently
    Only if that spot is in the midfield , can’t win a Brownlow anywhere else on the field ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Watching Martin and Dangerfield pull their teams through games over the weekend I saw how important that dominant player can be - like Joey in the past. I'm not seeing any of the new Swans do that, yet.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    It's been 13 years since a Swans player (Adam Goodes - 2006) won the Brownlow. This is the longest drought between Brownlows since the club produced its first Brownlow medalist, Herbie Matthews in 1940. That was a 16 year wait when the medal was first awarded in 1924. Growing up, Brownlow medals is what i looked upon with pride as Swans premiership(s) seemed like light years away. We now have 12 Brownlow medals in our collection, wish our premierships (5) was much the same count! I think Isaac Heeney and Nick Blakey are the most likely Brownlow (and Norm Smith ) prospects from our current group.
    I think there is a pretty direct inverse correlation between Brownlow and Premiership winning.
    A more even spread of talent gives you a better chance of a flag, but reduces the chance of any one player accumulating the votes needed to win the medal.
    Which is probably why a historically mediocre side like the Swans has generated so many medalists.
    I prefer premierships.

Besides a Swan won the Brownlow last year . . . . oh that's right . . . oops
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Besides a Swan won the Brownlow last year . . . . oh that's right . . . oops
    A Swan got one in 2011 too IIRC

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    We have been lucky and have had a number of great players playing in the same team over those years, so they all take votes off each other. We have constantly had players finishing in the top 5.

I loved it when Kelly won because it was so unexpected. Hopefully we see another one soon 😊.
    Kelly won in 1995 because there weren't a lot of players taking votes off him. This is quite a common way for Brownlows to be won. (This is why Cripps of Carlton is my pick for this year's Brownlow - Carlton this year are similar to the Swans in 1995: a side on the way up with one standout player.)
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast