Page 38 of 145 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Our tendency to appoint from within is quite marked. StevieJ being a very successful exception so far - not sure about BigCox, our midfield/clearance performances are a worry.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Our tendency to appoint from within is quite marked. StevieJ being a very successful exception so far - not sure about BigCox, our midfield/clearance performances are a worry.
    I've heard Harley and Longmire talk about how hard it is to recruit coaching staff to Sydney. We focus on the "go home" and cost of living factors for players, but they apply to support staff as well - coaches and medical/training people. By the time players retire and are looking to get into coaching, they are often settled, with families. To move your family for an assistant coaching role is an upheaval. And you do so knowing you may only last a couple of years before needing to move on, either to broaden your experience or because the club is looking to rotate assistant coaches. And so you are faced with the upheaval again in a short time. It makes sense - especially if you are already based in Melbourne - to seek roles at Melbourne clubs. Not only do you not have to move once, you know you have more alternative employers in your location if you need to (or choose to) move clubs again. And you may well have your extended family already on hand. And it will be cheaper to live than in Sydney.

Cox knew he needed to relocate if he wanted to broaden his experience. Johnson was already in Sydney. Prising people out of Melbourne is so much harder. So it's not surprising that the club looks to recruit from those already in the city and especially at the club, particularly for the lower paid, entry level coaching roles. It is not simply out of choice. It is also necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I've heard Harley and Longmire talk about how hard it is to recruit coaching staff to Sydney. We focus on the "go home" and cost of living factors for players, but they apply to support staff as well - coaches and medical/training people. To move your family for an assistant coaching role is an upheaval.
    Ooh pick me! I’d make the move in a heartbeat for a support staff role. goswannette won’t be to hard to convince either

& I don’t cost much. Worked at a SANFL club for a few years - “payment” was a free (ie leftovers form the social club) meal after training once a week

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Got to thinking about how many former captains are on the Swans staff.

Dennis Caroll
    Stuey Maxfield
    Tom Harley
    Brett kirk
    Jarrad McVeigh

Is there any more I haven't thought of? What is KJ doing in retirement?
    Nippa Gordon?

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Ooh pick me! I’d make the move in a heartbeat for a support staff role. goswannette won’t be to hard to convince either

& I don’t cost much. Worked at a SANFL club for a few years - “payment” was a free (ie leftovers form the social club) meal after training once a week
    Apply for a medical position.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Well done, Luffy!!

Veterans List
    Sam Murray, former Swan who played no games for us and is soon eligible to play footy again after his drug ban, has been let go by Collingwwod. Future in top level footy looks bleak......Gold Coast maybe?

Collingwood cuts running defender after drug ban - AFL.com.au

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Well done, Luffy!!
    https://images.performgroup.com/di/l...900&quality=80

Great stuff. Luffy's a legend.

Regular in the Side
    Darren Jolly and his wife have apparently split.

https://www.facebook.com/28734051211...576212?sfns=mo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Patterns emerge, but do they mean anything? No.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Swannette View Post

Reality TV will do that to you.....

Quote Originally Posted by Swannette View Post

If he knew how it was going to turn out, he might not have left us for Collingwood