Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kieren Jack retires

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Rd 18, 2008 at Manuka Oval against the Fairypuppies - during his breakthrough 2008 season (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...stics?mid=3493).

I remember the game pretty well. We started like a house on fire, because I was late getting there, so only arrived mid way through the first. Then they kicked 8 goals to 1 in the second term and we never quite got back on level terms throughout the rest of the game. My memories beyond that were of a very good performance from Ryan O'Keefe and McVeigh in particular - and that it was pretty chilly as it always is this time of year (looked it up - 12 degrees). Can't say I remember the tagging efforts of Jack, but Aker only kicked 1.1 and had 11 possessions, while Kizza kicked a goal and had 14 - so your memory is spot on.
    Not entirely spot on. The reason why I was trying to look it up, was that although I originally thought that he was tagging Akermanis, my mental picture was of Kieran taking on somebody in a Bulldogs uniform, so I then reasoned that since Akermanis played for the Lions, it couldn't have been him. After blundering around for a while online, it eventually occurred to me that Akermanis played out his career at the Bulldogs.

Veteran Site Admin
    https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...19-p52ilh.html

This is quite a lovely piece penned by Brandon on his brother's retirement. He's turning into a pretty good writer, is Brandon.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    One of my all time favorite Swans and Swan captains.
    I especially loved his dancing feet, the way he'd get the ball and could then accelerate of radically change direction - I guess it might have been another leftover from league. It made him unique.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

So many favourite moments but still love the away game v GWS last year. My son and I had flown down to Sydney for a boys weekend to celebrate his 8th birthday. Kieran had had a pretty ordinary season to date - I think most of us here were calling for him to be dropped. But he turned on a vintage display, culminating with a cracking goal from a tight angle. My son even asked me who he was as he had never noticed him before!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    One of my all time favorite Swans and Swan captains.
    I especially loved his dancing feet, the way he'd get the ball and could then accelerate of radically change direction - I guess it might have been another leftover from league. It made him unique.
    Like this - especially the dancing feet, so true!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Like this - especially the dancing feet, so true!
    Of all the retirees, I thought he was the most articulate at the press conference. Very passionate and impressive person, with great leadership qualities.

Veterans List
    aaaaand, what's he doing in "retirement", anyone know?

Happy and I know it
    In one of the interviews with him, he said he was interested in pursuing a career in the business side of running a club. He has an MBA and has been seeking advice from Tom Harley.

Sorry, can't remember which interview it was.

Senior Player

Senior Player

Veterans List
    Great stuff!

Veterans List
    Easy to see why he succeeded.....what a champ.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123