Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest ever Swan?

I'm loving all of these contributions and the memories of times past and our champions!

Of course we have been blessed with many champions and it's worth looking at our Team of the Century to see more of them: Sydney Swans - Wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Saw Skilton play quite a few times.
    This was when the Roys were still alive, and I barracked for them so only saw Skilton v Fitzroy.
    He either saved his best for Fitzroy or he was just about the best Swan I ever saw.
    He murdered us every time we played.
    Skilts also nicked my girl at a club one night, so my vote goes to Goodesy.
    This post especially made me laugh!

Blood Fever, I read that Skilts was a genuine dual footer. He could kick brilliantly with both feet but further on one side and more accurately on the other.

Mr Magoo, I like your point. A nice counterpoint to all the bitching and moaning that goes on about the state of the game. I like it just fine the way it's played currently even if there were more goals in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Good pick ups with Ron Clegg & Herbie Matthews. I heard someone mention on.on radio.once.that Ron Clegg holds the unofficial record for the most marks taken in a game which numbered in 30's i think? This was long before game stats were officially registered.

I also think John Rantall should be in the conversation. Had he not crossed to North with the 10 year rule he would've been the first Swan to play 300 games even though he did return to South and finished his career st Fitzroy (worth watching his Open Mike interview). He was a champion backman of his era who always did a number on Leigh Matthews when at his peak.

I only got to see Skilts play live only briefly right at the end of his career. Peter Bedford was my idol growing up as a kid as i got to see him at his peak. He could run sideways quickly crab like, spin & baulk leaving opponents bedazzled and was a grest kick and solid mark. He carried the team similarly as what Skilts had done. Howver i'm.in no doubt Skilts is the greatest ever Swan due to his courage, skill & humility as someone had elegantly posted. I doubt he'd be ever surpassed.
    I'm with you KSAS - Bedford was the only reason to go and watch the Bloods in those dark days at the Lake Oval

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

Blood Fever, I read that Skilts was a genuine dual footer. He could kick brilliantly with both feet but further on one side and more accurately on the other.
    I've heard Skilton mention that when he was young his dad would make him practice kicking a football with his opposite foot against a wall.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    I'm with you KSAS - Bedford was the only reason to go and watch the Bloods in those dark days at the Lake Oval
    Still see him around Port Melbourne from time to time. Lovely, good natured guy.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by dazedjosh View Post
    I'm going to base my vote purely on emotion and nostalgia, my vote goes for the guy that helped drag us out of the depths of the early 90's. Admittedly I'm biased as he was their when I started watching as a 10 year old in 91, so I may be looking back at his career with rose-tinted glasses, but I would like to nominate "Captain Courageous" Paul Kelly. Watching burst out of a pack at pace and delivering the ball inside 50 was such an inspiring thing to see, and he seemed to do it when we needed it time and time again. He took over the captaincy when we were at our absolute lowest and helped to build the platform that the Bloods culture became. Without him, none of the last 25ish years of success would be possible.
    +1

I also think Stuey Maxfield should get a mention for what he setup over the past two decades. I know he wasn't alone but it still a great legacy.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    +1

I also think Stuey Maxfield should get a mention for what he setup over the past two decades. I know he wasn't alone but it still a great legacy.
    Stuey probably deserves a mention in "The Most Influential Swan" along with Brett Kirk and others because you're absolutely right he helped build a legacy. Looking back on it, there are a handful of guys from the mid 90's-early 00's stretch who deserve to be in that discussion. I freely admit that Kelly might not be on a par with Goodes and Skilton, but he's not far off (1 Brownlow, 3 AA, 4 B&F), and what he left behind, along with guys like Maxfield and Kirk, has set us up for the success we have enjoyed since.

Stuey's legacy isn't just historical either. He continues to work at the Swans to this day. I see him occasionally and I glimpsed him in the background of one of the videos on the Swans site recently. I believe his role is as 'opposition analyst' - at least it was when I spoke to him down at Tramway oval a couple of years ago - but I suspect he can help reinforce the Bloods culture while he's there. So great to keep these guys in the fold.

Arthur Chilcott......seriously Bob Skilton would be the greatest but never saw him play. The greatest in my lifetime was Plugger, followed by Paul Kelly, Paul Kelly would be my favourite player. Hard at it and one of our greatest ever captains.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilcott View Post
    Arthur Chilcott......seriously Bob Skilton would be the greatest but never saw him play. The greatest in my lifetime was Plugger, followed by Paul Kelly, Paul Kelly would be my favourite player. Hard at it and one of our greatest ever captains.
    Arthur one of the first Sydney/NSW products?

The first from the Illawarra region. Left swans to play rugby for Balmain Tigers:

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilcott View Post
    The first from the Illawarra region. Left swans to play rugby for Balmain Tigers:
    Remember him as being solidly built

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    I saw Skilton at his peak throughout the mid-60s. His consistency against overwhelming odds, over a long period of time, was really extraordinary. Throughout his career, the team was good enough to make the finals just once - and that was late in his career - but he was always, week in and week out, among our best players, and more often than not, the best of the lot. He had huge courage, grit and determination, but his skill level and range of capabilities far surpassed that of Goodes, Kelly and even Bedford. It is this combination of skill and consistency that makes him the standout. Both Pratt and Nash were incredible talents, but they did not have his durability. Add to that his loyalty and humility, and you have the complete package.

Just a couple of minor corrections to posts above: Skilts was never an amateur as such, he was always paid for playing. Just not very much. And he coached us during, not after, his playing career - in 1965 and 1966. His post-career coaching was at Melbourne.
    Thanks for the recollections, mate.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast