Page 53 of 145 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast

Thread: Past players - what are they up to?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    A bit further down you find this gold: Twitter
    Can't quite make out the players? But I'm guessing that the year might be 2005?

Veterans List
    My favourite memory of the parade was when AJ's car drove passed. It had been pouring for hours so I was wet and uncomfortable. The rain meant that the players had to sit inside the car, so it was difficult to see the players. So to see AJ's smiling face and his excitement as he was going nuts shouting and cheering really made my day. Pyke obviously knew AJ well and didn't want to sit through an hour of that!

Veterans List
    Outstanding.

This was reported a few days ago - Craig Foster is organising athletes whose sport has been suspended to volunteer to help the elderly and disadvantaged during the Covid19 crisis. One of his volunteers is our own Adam Goodes. Apart from admiring their work, I was chuffed to read the following:

‘Craig Foster and Adam Goodes were supposed to be playing football together this year for the Waverley Old Boys over-35s.’

‘They got in one game together, a few weekends ago, before the pandemic forced the suspension of their season, and Foster loved what he saw from the dual Brownlow medallist.’

"He would have been an amazing player," Foster said.

"He reads the game well, he's a very strong, skilled attacker, good on both sides of his body ... we missed out there. We missed a gem."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...26-p54e31.html

Quote Originally Posted by redunderthebed View Post
    I notice that Sanford Wheeler passed away in California this week, aged 50. I'm sure many remember him fondly.
    That's a shame. He was Wiz's housemate. Imaginge how trying that would have been. I heard it was cancer but don't hold me to that.

"Tongue and cheek"? Now that's journalism!

The latest Conversations with Cal features Teddy Richards. Here is a link for your listening pleasure: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=612283

Veterans List
    That's funny....classic Nick Davis....but further down, check Fitzy's 'Home Isolation' Resort, the 'CopaCorona' from the The Front Bar.....it's hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    This was reported a few days ago - Craig Foster is organising athletes whose sport has been suspended to volunteer to help the elderly and disadvantaged during the Covid19 crisis. One of his volunteers is our own Adam Goodes. Apart from admiring their work, I was chuffed to read the following:

‘Craig Foster and Adam Goodes were supposed to be playing football together this year for the Waverley Old Boys over-35s.’

‘They got in one game together, a few weekends ago, before the pandemic forced the suspension of their season, and Foster loved what he saw from the dual Brownlow medallist.’

"He would have been an amazing player," Foster said.

"He reads the game well, he's a very strong, skilled attacker, good on both sides of his body ... we missed out there. We missed a gem."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...26-p54e31.html
    On Fozzy's twitter feed there are a couple of vid links for Kizza, Parksey and Smooch and, separately, also Board member, Sam Mostyn, doing their bit via Addison Rd Community Centre to help out the vulnerable during the current pandemic: Craig Foster (@Craig_Foster) on Twitter.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Can't quite make out the players? But I'm guessing that the year might be 2005?
    @@@@ I can't not tear up when I see that footage. Have never watched the 1st - 3rd quarters again however since that night. I'm suprised the DVD in the pack still works though for the amount of times I've watched that 4th quarter.

If one was to do a list of say the 10 most influential individual performances to win matches off their own boot, that night would have to be up there in the top few. None of those goals were easy kicks either under that sort of pressure (and the one easier one the set shot he had to do a shedload of work to take the mark).
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    @@@@ I can't not tear up when I see that footage. Have never watched the 1st - 3rd quarters again however since that night. I'm suprised the DVD in the pack still works though for the amount of times I've watched that 4th quarter.

If one was to do a list of say the 10 most influential individual performances to win matches off their own boot, that night would have to be up there in the top few. None of those goals were easy kicks either under that sort of pressure (and the one easier one the set shot he had to do a shedload of work to take the mark).
    If I remember rightly, by about three quarter time of that game, I was looking forward to the public naming, shaming and sentencing, of whoever it was, who decided to give the ground a good watering. It largely converted it into a wet weather game, and I always thought that we were a better dry weather side. For the first three quarters, it was a fumbly, dull and frustrating performance. Then along came Nick, to save us all; especially the groundskeeper.

On the veteran's list
    Had to laugh when I heard on SEN that a couple of St Kilda players were doing positive things during the lock down by ringing members and thanking them for support.

The two payers? Dan Hannebery and Zac Jones. Ah, you have to envy that saint culture.