Page 65 of 93 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    The AFL has done a deal with the MCC for the teams that play a home game this year on the MCG to receive match payments even though there is no crowd. This is a nice bonus for those teams. A deal with the Marvel Stadium tenants is next on the list. What about the interstate teams? I've heard no mention of a deal with the SCG.
    Surely in the interest of “fairness”, which was so important to the AFL when VIC was lagging behind, everyone gets it or no one gets it?

Vic clubs are blocking limited crowds at SCG and Giants stadium which has been ok'ed by NSW government.

I’m in NZ so watch everything on AFL Football Online | Watch AFL Overseas which works really well (plus has all Fox Footy shows on demand or you can download to a device). As I understand it you can can get the same service via afl.com.au (or is that only for games and interviews?) Mine costs $149 a year I think. Alternatively you could VPN to be in NZ

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Vic clubs are blocking limited crowds at SCG and Giants stadium which has been ok'ed by NSW government.
    So I am wondering how many goals advantage it'll be to the Swans & GWS to have 50 coterie club members having a nice lunch
    and a few drinks in a function room at their respective stadiums. What do you think? 5 goals.... 10 maybe?. Their opponents don't
    stand a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    So I am wondering how many goals advantage it'll be to the Swans & GWS to have 50 coterie club members having a nice lunch
    and a few drinks in a function room at their respective stadiums. What do you think? 5 goals.... 10 maybe?. Their opponents don't
    stand a chance.
    Yes, all that wonderful atmosphere: generated from behind self-contained cubicles.

What about all us members who have happily kept paying for nothing without complaint. When do we get a look in?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    What about all us members who have happily kept paying for nothing without complaint. When do we get a look in?
    I heard most members were happy to donate their memberships to keep the club finances ticking over.

Senior Player
    Later I'd say. To be one of the 50 people invited I'd imagine you would have to a sponsor, on the Swans board, or at very
    least have incriminating phone camera recording of John Longmire saying, "our goal for 2020 is to be the second best team
    in Sydney".

I heard most members were happy to donate their memberships to keep the club finances ticking over.
    Sorry i wasn’t clear. What I meant was, I’ve been fine giving them $ without being able to go to games, but if they start hosting some corporate types it makes me ask, why not members?

Veteran Site Admin
    Sorry i wasn’t clear. What I meant was, I’ve been fine giving them $ without being able to go to games, but if they start hosting some corporate types it makes me ask, why not members?
    Because it's about revenue, not "fairness".

I imagine (most) people who pledged their financial support for the remainder of this season did so on the understanding that they may not get to go to a game at all for the remainder of the season. So the pledge was unconditional. Opening up corporate boxes provides them with an opportunity to earn a little bit of additional revenue, though I question whether the amount is worth the effort/cost.

Personally I'd have no interest in watching a game from a corporate box, even if ordinary members were given that opportunity. I'd just as well be in front of my TV. Others may feel differently, but you'd still be without the chaotic passion that being in a crowd provides.

Well for me fairness does come into it. If no one goes then I have no problem... once you get into haves and have nots it’s different.

Probably because corporate types said they wouldnt pay if they werent getting anything.