Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233

Thread: #AFL Round 4 Swans vs Bulldogs Thur 25-Jun at SCG #AFLSwansDogs

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Maybe have a look at the circumstances of Neale moving from Freo to Lions for some clues. Or come last and draft a gun like Rowell. Or do a Buddy like deal. It can be done but I agree with you that it's not easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    There's a downside to almost everything. You could say that we did 2 Buddy deals, with Tippett being the other one, and because of that we couldn't afford to kept Tom Mitchell. WCE gave up 2 first and 2 second round picks for Tim Kelly, but he hasn't looked the player this year. Neale cost Brisbane a pick 6 and around a mid second rounder in 2018; Ben King went pick and Bailey Smith went pick 7. Maybe either one will be a better value over time given the age difference.

HPN valued the Tim Kelly, Lachie Neale and Brad Hill trades big value losers for the clubs acquiring the player.

I think our list management has been been very good. We just need to recognise that we are in a transition, there are 17 other clubs trying to do the best they can as well. It will be some time before we can evaluate this recent period in rebuilding the team.

The loss of Buddy, Reid and Naismith make the transition look worse than it is, because that's a big loss of talent on the field right now that can't be replaced.
    Yep, good post.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Yep, good post.
    +1. We Have been spoilt as supporters arguably since 1996. Missed the finals 4 times in that period? Perspective needed. And patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    +1. We Have been spoilt as supporters arguably since 1996. Missed the finals 4 times in that period? Perspective needed. And patience.
    Hear, hear, to both posts.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's fine to say that we need to add a gun midfielder to our list, but how do we go about doing that? Who do we target, realistically. How do we fit the player into our salary cap? What do we give up for that player in a trade.

The last 3 years we drafted 7 midfielders: Ling, Stoddart, Blakey, Rowbottom, McInerney, Stephens and Warner. We also added Bell and Wicks from as rookie academy picks. It's not like our list managers aren't trying.

** An interesting point regarding elite players: Over the past 5 years, JPK and Parker are tied for 7th most Brownlow votes with 77. So at least by this highly regarded measurement of quality, there are only 6 players in the league who are better. I think that qualifies both as being Elite with a big 'E'.
    I think the 2 boys in the coming draft might give us the much needed grunt in the guts. IIRC Campbell was BOG in the Rising Stars exhibition match. Lets see how Mills goes this week in the middle. He found plenty of the pill in the second half.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    These posts on trading, are better thought out than some on the actual 2020 trading/drafting thread - could the be moved?

I particularly agree with Ludwig too, there are repercussions to every list management action.
    Everyone can see the reward, but the risk - some seems to attract less consideration.

We trust our club to look at both - but the history of VFL/AFL list management does suggest that sometimes clubs act in ways that suggest they have not done so.
    Clubs can act like a pathological impulse shopper with a new credit card.

Richmond over John Pitura, they were obsessed with getting him and gave away too much to get him.
    Essendon with Geof Raines, the club brought in a highly paid import, destroyed team harmony and had to give him away after a season.
    Collingwood with Barry Mitchell, gave him a huge salary but according to Barry they had no idea what sort of player he was, shunted after a season.

The most common one these days, are where a club convince themselves they're in the "premiership window" - recruit short term and the club takes years to recover.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I think the 2 boys in the coming draft might give us the much needed grunt in the guts. IIRC Campbell was BOG in the Rising Stars exhibition match. Lets see how Mills goes this week in the middle. He found plenty of the pill in the second half.
    IF......... he plays in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    IF......... he plays in the middle?
    I thought the same thing. Let’s hope so

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233