Page 43 of 452 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    One thing that surprises me about the Academy is that we don't appear to have found any giants. You think the Academy recruiting folk would wander the streets spotting young stringbeans asking them what they wanted to do with their lives. Surely our next ruckman is out there somewhere.
    Believe me , they bring them in all the time , mostly from basketball, but to be frank without an underlying football upbringing they usually arent much chop. Theres not actually that many tall guys out there with much coordination. In Sydney , big coordinated guys get courted pretty early by the rugby union (and league) fraternity and they can offer contracts or other incentives like scholarships when they are young so the odd freak that comes through gets tied to a club (or even a school) pretty early on.

It is interesting though that almost every year when Swans play Giants in the academy , you can bet that the Giants have quite a few big kids while Swans have very few. Maybe living in Sydney stunts your growth while the fresh country air promotes growth??

Senior Player
    So Lloyd thinks we should be sure Daniher is over his injuries before we recruit him. And he gets paid plenty for that fantastic insight. I hope our guys saw this and act on it, Thanks, Lloydy.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    So Lloyd thinks we should be sure Daniher is over his injuries before we recruit him. And he gets paid plenty for that fantastic insight. I hope our guys saw this and act on it, Thanks, Lloydy.
    SEN purely for the nuffies of which there are many

Senior Player
    Because Lloyd's totally a good faith contributor on this subject and speaks with the Swans' best interests at heart. Spare me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Believe me , they bring them in all the time , mostly from basketball, but to be frank without an underlying football upbringing they usually arent much chop. Theres not actually that many tall guys out there with much coordination. In Sydney , big coordinated guys get courted pretty early by the rugby union (and league) fraternity and they can offer contracts or other incentives like scholarships when they are young so the odd freak that comes through gets tied to a club (or even a school) pretty early on.

It is interesting though that almost every year when Swans play Giants in the academy , you can bet that the Giants have quite a few big kids while Swans have very few. Maybe living in Sydney stunts your growth while the fresh country air promotes growth??
    We should be raiding rugby right now to find the next Mike Pike. Rugby in Australia can barely pay to keep the lights on. Its a buyers market.
    We seem to have lost our innovative thinking in the last 6 or so years.

I can't see why anyone would offer Daniher a contract next year, especially with list spots and salary cap likely to be squeezed down. Maybe some club will pick him up in the rookie draft, or equivalent, put him on a minimum salary plus match payments.

We already have to carry Sam Naismith on our list, since he's contracted for next year. So we have at least 1 non-player on our 2021 list, and a few high risk candidates to add to that category. I just can't see how we can add another, regardless of price.

I know Longmire said he expected Naismith to play again, but what else can he say. Under the circumstances, I hope an arrangement can be found for Sam to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I know Longmire said he expected Naismith to play again, but what else can he say. Under the circumstances, I hope an arrangement can be found for Sam to retire.
    I didn't know this. When and where did he say this? Got a link?

I can see Sam retiring and being off our list next season - albeit with a payout that will count in our salary cap but freeing up room for another player.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I didn't know this. When and where did he say this? Got a link?

I can see Sam retiring and being off our list next season - albeit with a payout that will count in our salary cap but freeing up room for another player.
    I'm pretty sure I heard it on one of his pressers, so it will be on the Swans' website. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

Here is the FC segment from Wednesday night where Matthew Lloyd gives his Joe Daniher synopsis. I get the impression Lloyd might be hinting to Daniher that we won't able to manage his injuries any better by highlighting the injury list with our key forwards. He is still making out that we were chasing JD from the outset, when a well researched Jack Niall article clearly showed JD approached us first. I recall Lloyd being one of many pushing JD was worth 2 x top 10 picks (5 & 9) during last trade period, yet he still hasn't managed to play a game in 2 years! We would've lost Papley to get that trade done, who is now leading the Coleman & is AA bound! We managed to dodge a hail of bullets & not just one!

Matthew Lloyd believes Sydney must stop pursuit of Joe Daniher - Footy Classified | Footy on Nine - YouTube
    Last edited by KSAS; 18th July 2020 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Here is the FC segment from Wednesday night where Matthew Lloyd gives his Joe Daniher synopsis. I get the impression Lloyd might be hinting to Daniher that we won't able to manage his injuries any better by highlighting the injury list with our key forwards. He is still making out that we were chasing JD from the outset, when a well researched Jack Niall article clearly showed JD approached us first. I recall Lloyd being one of many pushing JD was worth 2 x top 10 picks (5 & 9) during last trade period, yet he still hasn't managed to play a game in 2 years! We would've lost Papley to get that trade done, who is now leading the Coleman & is AA bound! We managed to dodge a hail of bullets & not just one!

Matthew Lloyd believes Sydney must stop pursuit of Joe Daniher - Footy Classified | Footy on Nine - YouTube
    Yes, and under that scenario, we wouldn't have got pick 5, Stephens. Plus if Daniher was on the scene, we may have got rid of one of our young talls, like McLean or Amartey. And with increased salary cap pressure, probably also on the line, would have been a handy journeyman, like Fox, or a not quite in the best 22 youngster, like Stoddardt. All that to increase our already lengthy injury list.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, and under that scenario, we wouldn't have got pick 5, Stephens. Plus if Daniher was on the scene, we may have got rid of one of our young talls, like McLean or Amartey. And with increased salary cap pressure, probably also on the line, would have been a handy journeyman, like Fox, or a not quite in the best 22 youngster, like Stoddardt. All that to increase our already lengthy injury list.
    But a long injury list is the best excuse for failure. We shouldn't give that up too easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    But a long injury list is the best excuse for failure. We shouldn't give that up too easily.
    And if we got to 46 players on the injury list, would we achieve a state of Zen like serenity?