Page 61 of 452 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Papley and pick 3 to Carlton for Cripps?
    I wouldn’t do that trade to be honest but they would never trade him, they still lack a bit for midfield depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I'd be dangling that pick 3/4/whatever it is in front of teams big time to see what sort of quality player we could land with it.
    Yeah it’d be interesting. As much as we’re on the right path with our youth, injecting some top end established talent in the right age bracket will only help their development I feel. And obviously help us get back into contention sooner.

I’d be interested who people think that might be?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I’d be interested who people think that might be?
    That’s the problem. Most of those that come to mind aren’t going to be gettable. Neale, Petracca , Darcy Moore, Taranto , Zak Jones haha!

That’s why it would be interesting to see if we did put our ( currently ) pick 2 on the table, what interest that might generate and who might be gettable.

Veterans List
    Take pick 2 to the draft, we're building for the future, plus Campbell & Gulden.

Kennedy, Buddy & Hewett added for 2021 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Take pick 2 to the draft, we're building for the future, plus Campbell & Gulden.

Kennedy, Buddy & Hewett added for 2021 as well.
    I would still ask the question. You can draft and draft and draft in top end talent until the cows come home but it doesn’t always work out. See Gold Coast for most of their existence, up until recently. You still need to add in good established players ( see also Gold Coast, pick 2 for Weller is now looking a good gamble ). That and the heavily compromised nature of this years draft means we won’t likely get full value for an early pick.

I’m happy with our drafting recently, and we know we have a couple of guns in this coming draft we will land. Why not at least see what a pick 2 (?) can yield on the trade table , even bundled up with a future pick ?

Senior Player
    Sinclair is visibly playing poorly, but is also having the worst season of his career stats-wise.

Career worst average disposals (7.8), goals (0.3) and free kicks against/free kick differential (1.8/-0.8). He is a non-factor around the ground and a liability in the ruck.

Among ruckmen, he's:
    - 19th for average AFL fantasy points a
    - 22nd for hitout win % (Naismith is 5th - sob)
    - 15th in ave hitouts (Naismith 7th)
    - 13th in hitous to adv (Naismith 6th)
    - 28th in score involvements

He's a significant liability. I think he frustrates Longmire too, and I wonder whether John is considering giving Amartey a go, particularly if/when we get a few other senior players back.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Sinclair is visibly playing poorly, but is also having the worst season of his career stats-wise.

Career worst average disposals (7.8), goals (0.3) and free kicks against/free kick differential (1.8/-0.8). He is a non-factor around the ground and a liability in the ruck.

Among ruckmen, he's:

He's a significant liability. I think he frustrates Longmire too, and I wonder whether John is considering giving Amartey a go, particularly if/when we get a few other senior players back.
    Alarming and eye opening stats. There's no question our ruck is a big problem. Maybe we will hang on to Naismith after all. But that won't be enough. I'm coming around to giving Amartey a run, if he's in firm. But he's coming back from injury himself and hasn't played much.

I suspect that Knoll would have debuted by now if he wasn't also injured.

What's the latest with McLean? Not that he's the answer, but is he injured or just omitted?

We need to trade in some decent mid range players from other teams. The trade ban didn’t help but we haven’t successfully done this for a long time.

Mummy, JPK, Mattner, Shaw etc were fantastic. But that was a long time ago.

Lewis and Gray have been epic failures. Sinclair hasn’t worked out either.

We didn’t have one decent player from another team play yesterday.

Saints had key players including Jones, Ryder, Butler, Membrey, Hill etc

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    We need to trade in some decent mid range players from other teams. The trade ban didn’t help but we haven’t successfully done this for a long time.

Agree 100%. Saints showing how adding in some mature age talent can lift a team from the basement to the penthouse quickly. GC likewise. We have some exciting kids who will potentially be good but there's still a big gap between our youngsters and our stars. I wonder if guys like Sier, Drew or Constable would thrive JPK style if given more opportunity and responsibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post

Ryder has a season left in him. Butler was fortune.
    Jones is good, but highly overrated on his impact in a game. Still goes in and out a lot of the game, and doesn't do the team things. We should give it another 12 months before marking that.
    Hill has been incredibly inconsistent for them, and cost them in the draft.

We didn't go the recycled players path, and have Taylor, Stephens, Gould, Ling, Rowbottom and Blakey coming through, who should all be topline players for 5-10 years by all reports.

This season we're going to be incredibly inconsistent. Just look at the change in tone over the past 21 days.
    But imagine next season, when these kids are another year older. And the likes of Hewett, Buddy, Kennedy, Heeney are coming in and the likes of Gray, Cunningham, Taylor and Sinclair are going out.
    We'll bounce back quicker than some expect.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post

Among ruckmen, he's:

We can't go into next season with Sinclair as our ruckman. He's only good for a backup in case of injury to our regular ruckman, which means he will probably play a lot of football anyway.

Unfortunately, McLean doesn't seem much of a ruckman either, but he's undersized and still young, so I won't be too harsh on him.

I think we need to play Amartey until we're convinced that he's not any good either. But when you only have hope, you have to go with it.

Once Knoll if fit to play, we should bring him in and give him a shot at have a season ending injury. Everyone deserves a chance.