Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Round 10: the other games. Festival of the Boot (part 2).

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Melbourne just lost the opportunity to kick for a goal 20m out straight in front after the siren due to another Melbourne player shoving a Crows player in the back on to the ground. The umpire cancelled Melbourne’s free kick, first quarter over.

Shows how lucky we were not to lose the second Papley goal couple of weeks ago when Sinclair knocked over a Hawthorn player. I suspect umps have been told to tighten up on this sort of gratuitous and unnecessary aggression.

Hope all Swans players take note - Sinclair I’m looking at you in particular.
    Yep, tough guy Melbourne player shoving the Adelaide guy as he lay on the ground, and costs his team a certain goal.
    What a moron.

Veterans List
    Never seen so many high tackles.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    With Adelaide's loss to the Dees, it is now 12 months since Adelaide last won a game.

Adelaide's last win: Round 20, 2019. Adelaide 14.8 (92) St Kilda 10.10 (70) 3/8/2019.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    Stewie Dew has lost a lot of puddin'.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Melbourne just lost the opportunity to kick for a goal 20m out straight in front after the siren due to another Melbourne player shoving a Crows player in the back on to the ground. The umpire cancelled Melbourne’s free kick, first quarter over.

Shows how lucky we were not to lose the second Papley goal couple of weeks ago when Sinclair knocked over a Hawthorn player. I suspect umps have been told to tighten up on this sort of gratuitous and unnecessary aggression.
    Again the AFL read the Vic press (Nick Reiwolts whining article on this matter) and tinker.....if it's not Clarkson they're being influenced by, it's Vic-centric journo's.
    Having said that, I do agree with any crackdown on this behaviour.😁

Veterans List
    The GC v Saints game is nicely poised at half time with GC up by 3 pts. Quality game so far.
    Last edited by liz; 7th August 2020 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Response to deleted post

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Again the AFL read the Vic press (Nick Reiwolts whining article on this matter) and tinker.....if it's not Clarkson they're being influenced by, it's Vic-centric journo's.
    Some sort of 'unsportsmanlike conduct' infraction is probably on its way for next year. Will hopefully rub the silliness out of the game.

Veterans List
    GC v Saints is a cracker....4 pts in it, Saints up, minutes left....and Rankine is the new Acker. GOTY contender just then.

Veterans List
    One thing that is really ticking me off is watching other games and thinking "this seems to be being umpired quite well" with the occasional mistake which is to be expected....then seeing an even count on the stats (tonights game StK 18 GC 19).....them comparing that with what we witnessed tonight in our game.
    23-11 and countless non paid frees.
    I realise many have said on the match thread that Collingwood did outplay us tonight but if the frees were actually paid as they should be, maybe it wouldn't look that way.
    We also have an amazing strike rate of getting umpires that history suggests don't like us.
    It's infuriating.....

Senior Player
    GC v Saints is a cracker....4 pts in it, Saints up, minutes left....and Rankine is the new Acker. GOTY contender just then.
    I really enjoyed the Suns/Saints game. Great skills from both sides, fast. Suns look like they enjoy their footy, lots of mutual respect at the end, good to see. Butler's 4 goals all very different, some talent there.

Senior Player
    I think Reiwoldt's article is just the culmination of what a lot people think is just a really poor and unnecessary part of the game. Paul Roos
    spoke about it yesterday, saying it has crept in the game over the last five or ten years. I agree with him. I just think it's pathetic. It's
    a form of sledging. Which reminds me of a comment from an ex-Australian cricketer from the 70s & 80s (I forget who it was) talking about
    sledging who was asked "What did you say to Viv Richards?". He replied, "Nothing, we didn't want to wake up the bear".

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I think Reiwoldt's article is just the culmination of what a lot people think is just a really poor and unnecessary part of the game. Paul Roos
    spoke about it yesterday, saying it has crept in the game over the last five or ten years. I agree with him. I just think it's pathetic. It's
    a form of sledging. Which reminds me of a comment from an ex-Australian cricketer from the 70s & 80s (I forget who it was) talking about
    sledging who was asked "What did you say to Viv Richards?". He replied, "Nothing, we didn't want to wake up the bear".
    Which reminds me of this famous incident:

'After playing and missing at successive deliveries, Glamorgan paceman Greg Thomas made the brave decision to give Viv some verbals as to the appearance of the ball.

"It’s red, round and weighs about five ounces, in case you were wondering."

Of course, the next ball was launched out of the ground by the West Indian legend accompanied with the following words:

"Greg, you know what it looks like. Now go and find it." '

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast