Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Semi-Finals: Nick Davis Round.

The Semi-Finals: Nick Davis Round.

The semi-finals kick off tonight, with Richmond v St Kilda. Richmond are short priced favourites, after St Kilda lost Ryder, Carlisle and Long from last week's side, while Richmond regained Lynch and Broad. There's also historical precedence, with the qualifying final losers having a vastly superior semi-final record, than the elimination final winners. Since the introduction of the present finals system in 2000, the win/loss record is 32 to 8. Although since the introduction of the week's rest in 2016, it has been 5 to 3. In addition to that, Richmond has much more finals experience, especially recent winning finals experience. So, it's a bit hard to see a St Kilda win. Although I suspect that most people, with the exception of Richmond fans and punters taking the short odds, will be barracking for the Saints.

Tomorrow night is Geelong v Collingwood. Here, I think that many people will be going for a Geelong loss; just to watch a truculent Chris Scott, subjected to another losing finals press conference. Though on the other hand, if Collingwood win, there's a chance that they'll become this season's version of the valiant fairypuppies. Which may not be an appealing prospect to many people.

Veterans List
    Hoping for two crackers like last weeks games. I fear one may be a blowout but hoping the Saints can defy the odds. Unfortunately their 'outs' are big.

In the other one, I think the Cats should win but the Pies were pretty good last week. If they can replicate that tomorrow, Cats may be in trouble.....but I'll be going for Geelong.

This weekend may well be moot......I think our Grand Finalists are already resting up.

Veterans List
    I wasn't sure who I preferred to win tonight's game but after watching the first few minutes it's the Saints.

Shai Bolton's first quarter, is really starting to remind of Nick Davis and his legendary final quarter. Especially the second goal, with his kicking style and the almost instantaneous ball drop. Possibly the comp's most improved player? Certainly pretty to watch.

Cotchin is a grub and needs to be rested for a week or two after he took Jones' head off.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Cotchin is a grub and needs to be rested for a week or two after he took Jones' head off.
    Has already given away the free, so he ripped across the larynx with maximum force. Typifies their arrogant thuggery.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Has already given away the free, so he ripped across the larynx with maximum force. Typifies their arrogant thuggery.
    Makes it worse when 'golden boy' Cotchin is the Tiger's captain. Doesn't set a good example and they don't need it in their game to put away the Saints you'd think.

Yes, I wondered how the tribunal will see that. Wasn't quite a rugby league coathanger, but he hit Jones high and slung him to the ground in a headlock.

And it's things like that, which add to my dislike of some of the soft fifties that get paid. Here, the Saints had already got the kick, and Cotchin then m

Veterans List
    I don't know what the score reviewer was looking at but you could clearly see a gap between the ball and the fist. It cost the Saints a goal. You can't have mistakes like this in a final.

I'll continue.

...Cotchin then made high contact, further offended with a sling tackle, wrestled a bit with a semi dazed opponent and then had a push and shove with other opponents. All of which occurred in the protected zone. But strangely, none was worth a fifty. But momentarily run within five metres of an oblivious opponent and it's fifty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I don't know what the score reviewer was looking at but you could clearly see a gap between the ball and the fist. It cost the Saints a goal. You can't have mistakes like this in a final.
    Yes, strange decision. The ball was blurry, as it passed, but if he touched it, there shouldn't have been a clearly visible gap.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    And the first free kick of the second half is the same thing. Cotchin grabbing an opponent high and then slinging him to the ground. Not as bad as the Jones one but that's two in just over a half of footy.

Senior Player
    Makes it worse when 'golden boy' Cotchin is the Tiger's captain. Doesn't set a good example and they don't need it in their game to put away the Saints you'd think.
    I think it starts a rung higher: with the coach.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast