Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 2021

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    Hi all

A few weeks away from rd 1, new season, coaching changes, some fresh faces on the list I am feeling optimistic about our chances this year. Won't be winning the flag but i think with a good run with injuries we can push for the eight.

Here are a few of my thoughts on what i have heard and seen over the pre-season:

- Love Mills playing in the midfield. I was beginning to think we would never see it, but i now see John Longmire's grand plan.. adding Mills right when we need him in there. Kennedy not getting younger, Parker will be wasted in his prime years if he doesnt have more able support. I always had Hewett pegged as that next player, but hasnt come along as we'd hoped. Injuries at the wrong time haven't helped George.

- I am rapt to know the Lizard has been starring on the wing. 195cm, deceptively quick, I reckon he will pose a surprisingly tricky match-up on the wing. "Mills gets it out to Blakey" has a nice ring to it.

- Thrilled to see Hickey's performance. Seemed fit and mobile, good jump on him. 22 games from you this year thanks, Tom.

- The silly report that Lance could be an inclusion for rd 1. Why? Nothing to gain from rushing back one of our most important players. Would much prefer he miss the first month and we get the next 4 months after that out of him than he plays rd 1 and is injured again by rd 4. Unless i hear it from someone's lips affiliated with the club, i choose not to buy into any media reporting on Lance!

- Upsetting to hear Fox will have a delayed start to the season, I love a good battler. Upside is that this could mean more opportunities for... who? Matthew Ling? Or will Will Gould finally get his break?

- Quietly optimistic about what changes Don Pyke can ring in. What a formidable coaching line up. John Longmire. Dean Cox. Don Pyke. Brett Kirk. Jarrad McVeigh. They have seen some premierships between them. I hear Pyke was the brains behind Mills being moved into the midfield, but i have a sneaking suspicion Longmire was waiting for the right group of coaches and players to make such big changes, and we finally have it. Its so exciting - Mills as a midfielder, the Lizard on a wing, Tom McCartin as a true centre half back, Ling in the best 22. Academy boys everywhere. It might not all work but at least we wont die wondering!!

- Finally i'm amused by the discussions about James Rowbottom. He is an exceptional young kid and talent. Respect all are entitled to their opinions, but we dont know what's going on with these players. We are fans and spectators for a reason. I thought he was solid on the weekend and his second quarter was a ripper that helped turn the tide of the game. Anyone questioning his off-season commitment might be interested to know that over the summer he joined my son's track club in Toorak and put in hours on the track nearly every day. No tins or Big Macs in sight.

Excited for the weekend and the season ahead!

Cheer cheer !!
    I will echo Rod_ and say great first post! Welcome! Look forward to hearing more.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Fox is out for 6-8 weeks unfortunately so that rules him out. Highly doubt Buddy will be ready either.

It's going to come down to the final few practice games and any injuries. Reckon there are 3 spots up for grabs between Campbell, Gulden, McInerney, Stephens, Warner, Wicks and Bell.

As it stands, I would go with:

Cunningham Melican Rampe
    Lloyd McCartin Campbell
    Dawson Parker Blakey
    Heeney Reid Hayward
    Papley Sinclair Gulden
    Hickey Mills Kennedy
    Rowbottom Florent Hewett McInerney

Emer: Stephens Warner Wicks Bell
    A strong looking side! Stephens and Warner missing out shows some depth. The main weakness appears to be in the key forwards. Sinclair is yet to show he can be a major forward target and goalkicker. Reid was disappointing last season so he will need to step it up this year. Buddy woukd make a big difference!

6. I was and am concerned about the longevity of our first rucks both Naismith and Hickey have a history of crippling injuries, yet it was encouraging to see a dominant ruckman playing for us.
    7. The Blakey move to the wing seems to have benefitted both the team balance and Blakey's ability to be involved in the play.
    8. Liked the aggression shown by both Wicks and Warner.
    9. Enjoyed Papley's first half, hopefully he has more help this year.
    10. Reid and McDonald need to start taking marks in forward fifty, whilst there is great credit about making contests, scoring opportunities begin with contested marks.

I'm looking forward to the next game.

I don't think Gulden is ahead of Wicks. That's not to say I don't think Gulden won't play Rd1. I think we'll get a better idea after Sunday on that.
    But Wicks appears to be, rightly, held in high regard from the coaching staff. His forward half defensive work is so valuable, and he adds with his ability with the footy.
    I cannot see a team where he isn't picked and Gulden is.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    I don't think Gulden is ahead of Wicks. That's not to say I don't think Gulden won't play Rd1. I think we'll get a better idea after Sunday on that.
    But Wicks appears to be, rightly, held in high regard from the coaching staff. His forward half defensive work is so valuable, and he adds with his ability with the footy.
    Wicks is one of a handful known for their defensive work and forward pressure. Gulden, Bell and Warner will also be in the frame for this and they are more damaging with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    Hi all

A few weeks away from rd 1, new season, coaching changes, some fresh faces on the list I am feeling optimistic about our chances this year. Won't be winning the flag but i think with a good run with injuries we can push for the eight.

Here are a few of my thoughts on what i have heard and seen over the pre-season:

- Love Mills playing in the midfield. I was beginning to think we would never see it, but i now see John Longmire's grand plan.. adding Mills right when we need him in there. Kennedy not getting younger, Parker will be wasted in his prime years if he doesnt have more able support. I always had Hewett pegged as that next player, but hasnt come along as we'd hoped. Injuries at the wrong time haven't helped George.

- I am rapt to know the Lizard has been starring on the wing. 195cm, deceptively quick, I reckon he will pose a surprisingly tricky match-up on the wing. "Mills gets it out to Blakey" has a nice ring to it.

- Thrilled to see Hickey's performance. Seemed fit and mobile, good jump on him. 22 games from you this year thanks, Tom.

- The silly report that Lance could be an inclusion for rd 1. Why? Nothing to gain from rushing back one of our most important players. Would much prefer he miss the first month and we get the next 4 months after that out of him than he plays rd 1 and is injured again by rd 4. Unless i hear it from someone's lips affiliated with the club, i choose not to buy into any media reporting on Lance!

- Upsetting to hear Fox will have a delayed start to the season, I love a good battler. Upside is that this could mean more opportunities for... who? Matthew Ling? Or will Will Gould finally get his break?

- Quietly optimistic about what changes Don Pyke can ring in. What a formidable coaching line up. John Longmire. Dean Cox. Don Pyke. Brett Kirk. Jarrad McVeigh. They have seen some premierships between them. I hear Pyke was the brains behind Mills being moved into the midfield, but i have a sneaking suspicion Longmire was waiting for the right group of coaches and players to make such big changes, and we finally have it. Its so exciting - Mills as a midfielder, the Lizard on a wing, Tom McCartin as a true centre half back, Ling in the best 22. Academy boys everywhere. It might not all work but at least we wont die wondering!!

- Finally i'm amused by the discussions about James Rowbottom. He is an exceptional young kid and talent. Respect all are entitled to their opinions, but we dont know what's going on with these players. We are fans and spectators for a reason. I thought he was solid on the weekend and his second quarter was a ripper that helped turn the tide of the game. Anyone questioning his off-season commitment might be interested to know that over the summer he joined my son's track club in Toorak and put in hours on the track nearly every day. No tins or Big Macs in sight.

Excited for the weekend and the season ahead!

Cheer cheer !!
    Welcome to RWO. Good first post.

I've been calling for the move of Mills to the midfield for a long time. I've always felt it was an inevitability. My take has been that Mills was as much squeezed out of the backline than pulled into the midfield. We simply have too many quality players and young prospects that need an open slot in the backline for the opportunity to make the senior side.

I gave Fox the edge to be our Round 1 inclusion, but the finger injury makes the selection dilemma a bit easier. O'Riordan should be the one to take his place. Fox and COR are quite similar in what they bring to the side. COR was looking the part, but for the injuries that came at inopportune times the past couple of seasons. I'm not sure if he's behind schedule in his training program due to the quarantine imposed late start for him. Now it appears that Ling, Campbell and Gould will be vying for spots in the backline, and Dawson also has to be in the picture, although he faces the same squeeze as MIlls, probably pushing him into the midfield.

If Hewett is fit and in form, he has to be in our best 22, but as I've commented earlier, best 22 doesn't necessarily mean that a player gets selected. We may prefer to add more zip to the midfield. It will be another tough selection call.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    A strong looking side! Stephens and Warner missing out shows some depth. The main weakness appears to be in the key forwards. Sinclair is yet to show he can be a major forward target and goalkicker. Reid was disappointing last season so he will need to step it up this year. Buddy woukd make a big difference!
    Totally agree with the key forward issue and that being a weak point. Until Buddy is injury free and McDonald gets more experienced + bigger than we have to persist with Reid and Sinclair (who would also be a handy second ruck).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Can't disagree with this. Gulden probably has more long term upside but Wicks has more runs on the board. Reckon it's a coin toss between the two.

Don't entirely agree that "Fox and COR are quite similar". Fox plays a fair bit taller than COR.

I think Ling, Gould, Campbell and COR may all be competing for the same spot at this point in time. That is a hot competition! I'm tempted to go with Ling, which leaves COR stiff. But I'll back in the call of those that are in the know and be delighted for whoever gets the guernsey.

We will find out more, and probably revise our opinions, after the practice match. I'm not sure how much weight the practice match deserves relative to players' performances across the pre-season and also in previous seasons. Plus there's the projecting forward factor. There's a lot to weigh up. It's a good - but tricky - time to be on the match committee!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Don't entirely agree that "Fox and COR are quite similar". Fox plays a fair bit taller than COR.
    Funny about that, as COR is actually slightly taller than Fox. But I know what you mean. I think it just may be that Fox has been given roles to match up on taller players and also has taken turns in the ruck. It could be true that Fox can handle taller opponents better than COR or has just been assigned to play on taller opposition. On a trait by trait comparison, Fox stacks up very well, but overall, there's probably not much between them.

We haven't seen quite enough of Fox, COR, Gould and Ling to determine how they fit into the side and how many we can play in the same team.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    Wonderful first post!

Welcome and we will look forward to your inciteful comments in the future.

Love a battler story also, and was saddened by Fox's injury news.

After watching the speed and scoring power of both sides last night it will be an interesting season. Survival of the fastest and fittest. (and a little skill could be handy) Footy is back with spectators! Whooo Hooo!
    Cheers!

I was at last night's game and the one word i used to describe it coming away from it was pinball. I don't know how it appeared on TV but at the ground the speed at which the ball was moving from one end of the ground to the other and bouncing from contest to contest was quite intense. Good fun to watch, though my fear is it will play into Richmond's run and gun style even more. One more flag to that lot and it will be just about enough for me to break up with this sport!!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Welcome to RWO. Good first post.

I've been calling for the move of Mills to the midfield for a long time. I've always felt it was an inevitability. My take has been that Mills was as much squeezed out of the backline than pulled into the midfield. We simply have too many quality players and young prospects that need an open slot in the backline for the opportunity to make the senior side.

I gave Fox the edge to be our Round 1 inclusion, but the finger injury makes the selection dilemma a bit easier. O'Riordan should be the one to take his place. Fox and COR are quite similar in what they bring to the side. COR was looking the part, but for the injuries that came at inopportune times the past couple of seasons. I'm not sure if he's behind schedule in his training program due to the quarantine imposed late start for him. Now it appears that Ling, Campbell and Gould will be vying for spots in the backline, and Dawson also has to be in the picture, although he faces the same squeeze as MIlls, probably pushing him into the midfield.

If Hewett is fit and in form, he has to be in our best 22, but as I've commented earlier, best 22 doesn't necessarily mean that a player gets selected. We may prefer to add more zip to the midfield. It will be another tough selection call.
    Thanks !!

I too am a George fan. Last he played he was best 22, was very highly rated the year before, might've fallen out of favour since. Not sure. But you hit the nail on the head in saying that best 22 doesn't equal selection. Is he in the best 22 players on our list ? Certainly, a very consistent performer, does any role given to him. But is he in the best half a dozen mids on our list ? Not so certain there. He hasnt been able to produce what Kennedy and Parker can. Mills was a dominant junior mid and could see him overtaking Hewett. Florent gives us something different with his leg speed, like a little mosquito the way he buzzes around the contest. Missed that when he was playing half forward last year. Rowbottom is our best young mid prospect. & you would think they would want to see the Lizard and Dylan at some point in there too this year. That leaves George where? Sixth at best, eighth at worst ?? Doesn't look good for him.

This is what we need though, competition for spots breeds performance and I have high hopes we will see that this season

The coaches love George because he's such a good role player. He just does the job. It's been hard for new midfielders to push Josh and Parker out of the key inside mid roles at stoppages, so George has taken on whatever role is required from week to week.

We shouldn't forget that George is an excellent dual sided kick and perhaps the best mid range kick for goal, or at least was before Jordan Dawson.

Looking back on 2016, we can see the thinking in trading Tom Mitchell. It was the imbalance between inside ball winning and outside speed that had to change. Now we have 4 slowish, but talented, inside mids (JPK, Parker, Mills and Hewett). That's about the most we can handle in the way the game is evolving. It's also why I've been saying that we don't need to find a replacement for Kennedy. The game is changing toward the quicker type of player, including at stoppages.