Thread: Swans vs Giants Solitary Pre-season Match

Veterans List

Swans vs Giants Solitary Pre-season Match

Put it all in here .....

Regular in the Side
    Schedule
    SWANS Vs GIANTS
    Sunday, March 7 at 1:10pm

Giants Stadium (Sydney Showground, Sydney Olympic Park)

Broadcast

Sunday’s AAMI Community Series match will be broadcast live from 1pm on Fox Footy, Kayo and on Triple M in Sydney.

Team Selection
    With the bench extended from 4 to 8, 26 Players plus 4 emergencies will be selected.

Teams will name their squad on Saturday at 6:20pm.
    OUT: Lloyd and Fox due to injuries at last Saturday match +?
    IN: Rampe, Cunningham?, Hewitt?, Stephens?, McInerney?,O'Riordan?....

Weather forecast
    Fine at around 24~26C

Tickets
    Tickets went on sale f via Ticketmaster. (All 2021 match access members are able to redeem a free ticket).
    Due to COVID requirements, all tickets must be purchased prior to the match with no tickets available at the gate.

Reserves Game?
    It was mentioned that there will be a GWS Giants v Sydney Swans at Giants Stadium (1/2 game) from 3:55 AEDT. Can't find an official confirmation of this.

Regular in the Side
    SYDNEY
    B: M.Ling 19 L.Melican 43 D.Rampe 24
    HB: J.Dawson 34 T.McCartin 30 C.Mills 14
    C: B.Campbell 16 J.Kennedy - C 12 N.Blakey 22
    HF: J.Bell 32 L.McDonald 6 G.Hewett 29
    F: W.Hayward 9 I.Heeney 5 S.Reid 20
    Foll: C.Sinclair 18 L.Parker 26 T.Papley 11
    I/C: O.Florent 13 J.Rowbottom 8 C.Warner 1 E.Gulden 21 H.Cunningham 7 S.Wicks 45 T.Hickey 31 R.Clarke 4
    Emerg: H.McLean 41 D.Stephens 3 B.Ronke 25 J.McInerney 27

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
    B: N.Haynes 19 L.Keeffe 25 C.Idun 39
    HB: I.Cumming 13 S.Taylor 15 H.Perryman 36
    C: J.Kelly 22 T.Taranto 14 C.Ward 8
    HF: T.Bruhn 5 H.Himmelberg 27 M.de Boer 24
    F: T.Greene 4 J.Riccardi 26 D.Lloyd 38
    Foll: K.Briggs 32 J.Hopper 2 S.Coniglio - C 3
    I/C: L.Ash 7 J.Buckley 44 T.Green 12 S.Reid 50 N.Shipley 34 M.Buntine 21 X.O'Halloran 33 J.Finlayson 31
    Emerg: S.Mumford 41 Z.Sproule 28 B.Hill 37 C.Stone 18

Interesting to see Mills named at half-back and Campbell and Ling in the starting 18.

Regular in the Side
    Above was from AFL site. Our Swans site has a slightly different take of their positions as below:

B:
    Cunningham, Rampe, Melican
    HB: J.Dawson, T.McCartin , Hewett
    C: Florent, J.Kennedy, N.Blakey
    HF: J.Bell, Hayward, Heeney
    F: Wicks, Reid, Papley
    Foll: Hickey, Parker, Mills
    I/C: Campbell, J.Rowbottom, C.Warner, E.Gulden, Ling , McDonald, Sinclair, Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Interesting to see Mills named at half-back and Campbell and Ling in the starting 18.
    Don’t like seeing Mills named at half back. But I’m assuming he WILL play in the midfield.

Very happy to see Ling, Campbell, Gulden and McDonald named. What’s happened to Gould? Not even an emergency. And Clarke over Stephens?!?!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Don’t like seeing Mills named at half back. But I’m assuming he WILL play in the midfield.

Very happy to see Ling, Campbell, Gulden and McDonald named. What’s happened to Gould? Not even an emergency. And Clarke over Stephens?!?!
    Clarke's spot to lose then. Both preferred wingmen not included. Preseason often flips plans on their heads. Would think we went into preseason back in Dec with the plan to have Stephens and McInerney on the wings by rd 1. Both look unlikely now.

RB and Warner fighting for the last midfield spot. Bell and Wicks battling for the last def forward spot. Will make for interesting viewing.

Gould looked a long way off AFL ready last week.
    Stephens on the outer is interesting. Particularly Clarke sneaking in.
    We shouldn't read too much in to the positions in a team list in pre season - but I'll be watching how they use Sinclair with interesting. If he's not starting as a key forward, and they prefer Hayward, he's a big risk at getting a Rd1 spot

Regular in the Side
    I think the Swans Site version is more consistent with our fans' expectation (Except with Hewett listed in the HB).

Notes:
    * Sydney Swans co-captain and the brave warrior Dane Rampe as well as our consistent midfield workhorse George Hewett will return to the side.
    * 2019 first-round pick Dylan Stephens is only listed as one of the emergencies together with fan's favourite McInerney.
    * O'Riordan, Gould and Amartey now behind the pack.
    * No surprise early return of Buddy.

PS the Umpires will be Chris Donlon (1), Nick Brown (13), David Harris (24), Paul Rebeschini (31)
    Last edited by Aaron; 6th March 2021 at 07:15 PM.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    McInerney has been coming back from injury, so explainable. Would be interested in the story re Stephens. Long term, I’m completely comfortable where he’ll get to.

Short term, maybe it’s just the usual Swans thing of being coy about small injuries or maybe a slight bit of there is something very specific they want him to work on.

McInerney is returning from injury, so I can still see him in the round 1 side.

Clarke is am interesting one. Huge tank like Stephens, which will be very important with full length quarters and less interchange. But I cannot believe he’ll be keeping Stephens out of the side for long. Although he can tag ...

Which brings us to Hewett. One of the biggest question marks is his role, given the movement of Mills into the mids, and others waiting in the wings, but can also tag.

Interesting that Freo are moving Fyfe forward to allow their younger mids to grow. Wonder if one of Parker / Joey / Hewett will play forward to make room for Mills, RB and the next generation.

I feel very positive about this season. Feel like our personnel and game plan are suited to the faster, attacking football that the AFL are encouraging

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    McInerney has been coming back from injury, so explainable. Would be interested in the story re Stephens. Long term, I’m completely comfortable where he’ll get to.

Short term, maybe it’s just the usual Swans thing of being coy about small injuries or maybe a slight bit of there is something very specific they want him to work on.
    We really don’t know what’s going on. They could also be giving Clarke the opportunity to fight for the spot.

Neither of the top draftees from 2019 are in the frame but all three from last year are.

That may also be about lack of exposure at this level, so maybe we’ve more need to test them (and Ling who I’m bullish about) out than others.

Maybe the Bloods is right about the Chad?

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast