Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Round 3: the other games. The look who's 0/3 round.

Giants and North the only teams to end up 0/3. Traditionally tough to make the finals from there. Personally, I think North have no chance, while the Giants have an expanding injury list, that's going to add to the degree of difficulty.

Giants are absolutely no chance of making finals. Their composure is the exact opposite of us. They panic and bang it on the boot ignoring 3 or 4 short options. Won't change until Leon is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Clarko is going somewhere other than Hawthorn. Could be the Giants
    Collingwood fans think they have Clarko signed up.

What happens if Leon is sacked mid year? Do the Giants wait till year end for Clarko or Buckley? The Giants could do worse than signing up Buckley. I'm not a big fan, but I think he's developed into a pretty good coach.

From the GWS v MEL game: Clayton Oliver may be a beast of an inside midfielder, but he is totally hopeless kicking for goal. It's hard to believe such a highly rated player can be such a poor kick.

The Saints were looking like such a clever club with all their high profile trading. Now there's talk about dropping Brad Hill. Look what they paid for him:

After ample posturing Bradley Hill has been traded from Fremantle to St Kilda.
    The Dockers star - and a future third-round selection - have been exchanged for a huge bounty, with St Kilda giving up Blake Acres, Pick 10, Pick 58, and a future second and fourth round pick.

I'm really turned off big player trading, especially seeing how well you can build a championship team through the draft, if you have a great list management team.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 4th April 2021 at 11:47 PM.

If Clarko is available then the Giants should really chase him hard. Its amazing how quickly the Giants have fallen off the pace. Losing a few players, injuries and an aging group of senior players means they are not the force they were just two seasons ago. It can quickly change!

I only saw snippets of the GWS v Dees match so hadn’t realised that Giants lost Phil Davis and Stephen Coniglio in the second quarter and then Matt de Boer early in the third – leaving them two players short on the bench for almost half the match ( having brought on the medical sub).

In fairness to GWS, with the reduced number of rotations it’s not surprising that the Dees ran over them in the last quarter.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I only saw snippets of the GWS v Dees match so hadn’t realised that Giants lost Phil Davis and Stephen Coniglio in the second quarter and then Matt de Boer early in the third – leaving them two players short on the bench for almost half the match ( having brought on the medical sub).

In fairness to GWS, with the reduced number of rotations it’s not surprising that the Dees ran over them in the last quarter.
    Yep. I know everyone thinks we're going to wipe out the Bombers on Thursday night but if we're only playing 20 players after half time we
    could easily be the team being run over in the last quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    What happens if Leon is sacked mid year? Do the Giants wait till year end for Clarko or Buckley? The Giants could do worse than signing up Buckley. I'm not a big fan, but I think he's developed into a pretty good coach.

From the GWS v MEL game: Clayton Oliver may be a beast of an inside midfielder, but he is totally hopeless kicking for goal. It's hard to believe such a highly rated player can be such a poor kick.

The Saints were looking like such a clever club with all their high profile trading. Now there's talk about dropping Brad Hill. Look what they paid for him:

After ample posturing Bradley Hill has been traded from Fremantle to St Kilda.
    The Dockers star - and a future third-round selection - have been exchanged for a huge bounty, with St Kilda giving up Blake Acres, Pick 10, Pick 58, and a future second and fourth round pick.

I'm really turned off big player trading, especially seeing how well you can build a championship team through the draft, if you have a great list management team.
    Yes, that was always a lot to give up, for a player who often looks dangerous when he has the ball, but probably doesn't get the ball enough. A bit like the Weller trade, that Fremantle also benefited from.

And I seem to recall that the 'experts' on the AFL site, proclaimed that the Saints were the big winners of that trade period, and we were one of the losers, because we didn't get the Daniher deal done. Where the reality is, if we gave into Essendon's demands, opposition fans would have had ample opportunity to chuckle at our stupidity. A likely scenario was. We miss out on Stephens in the 2019 draft and probably McDonald in 2020. We would have also had to delist another player or two, in order to pay Joe's wages. In 2020, those wages would have largely been spent on somebody keeping Buddy company in rehab. And this season, some of us would be struggling, to fully bond with a player, who while being a good mark, is about as floppy as Ben Brown.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Sure, they had some injuries yesterday.

But GWS can’t ever get their best players consistently on the park. They keep drafting good kids and losing them within two years. They’ve lost the ability to play with any speed. Their coach resembles Forrest Gump.

The only two bits of interest with them for the year are when they sack the coach, and whether their crowd average is 6000 or 4000.

A farcical, plastic creation going nowhere.

Question is who can we lure across to the Swans? Anyone worth talking to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Sure, they had some injuries yesterday.

But GWS can’t ever get their best players consistently on the park. They keep drafting good kids and losing them within two years. They’ve lost the ability to play with any speed. Their coach resembles Forrest Gump.

The only two bits of interest with them for the year are when they sack the coach, and whether their crowd average is 6000 or 4000.

A farcical, plastic creation going nowhere.
    If GWS were to fold, could you imagine the outrage, if our academy catchment zone was expanded to the more traditionally fertile area of southern NSW? My guess is, that the outrage level would be similar to, an over-indulged, but unexpectedly deprived toddler, wailing and pounding on the floor of the supermarket chocolate and lolly aisle.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    Question is who can we lure across to the Swans? Anyone worth talking to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When GWS were founded I thought that over time we would be able to poach some of their players given we were the big guys in town. That has never transpired. In fact, they recruited Mummy and another who's name escapes me from us! While they have lost plenty of players since 2012 it has always been to interstate clubs, especially Victorian ones. I'm sure there are numerous players there that we would be interested in but getting them is another story. Besides, our salary cap will be full signing our own young talent on good deals to retain them.
    Last edited by Aprilbr; 5th April 2021 at 10:33 AM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast