Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Sydney vs Richmond: Game day thread

I assumed 12 o’clock meant directly in front but never heard that term in footy before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Umm....

- - - Updated - - -

For the uninitiated, please explain 12 o'clock. The other stuff can wait.
    If the Swans are kicking to the Randwick end, the O'Reilly stand would be 9 o'clock and the Brewongle stand would be 3 o'clock.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    I assumed 12 o’clock meant directly in front but never heard that term in footy before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very common footy vernacular for a ruck/midfielder discussion. It's essentially where you are going to try to hit the ball in the wheel of a clock. Probably not used outside of those playing a game much though.

The video excerpt from On The Couch is worth checking out: AFL news 2021: The Sydney Swarm video, Gerard Healy vision on Fox Footy On The Couch, John Longmire tactics, Swans stats. It shows how we have completely changed the way we defend. This is what players (like Gould) were referring to in the pre-season. It turns out it was no mere tweak. And it is a lot more exciting to watch. Maybe it's come about because we finally have a list with the kicking ability to implement it?

As an aside, it also makes Braeden and Errol's adjusting to AFL that bit more impressive - because this is not the same system they were drilled in at the Academy.

I'm enjoying this weekly post on The Swans Blog: Player ratings: Sydney Swans vs Richmond Tigers, Round 3, 2021. Two weeks ago I thought he was a bit stingy with his rating for Wicks. This time I think he's been a touch generous. Generally I dig the assessments by someone who knows our team.

12 oclock in AFL, Soccer, Basketball etc is moving towards / anticipating the attacking goal side

We saw the Bulldogs in 2016 trying as hard as they could to exit / move the ball forward with players charging into the space just forward of the contest / 12 o'clock

Richmond similar last few years

Now the Swans are trying to exit contests, tap towards the attacking goal side / 12 o'clock

That goal by "The Chad" you could seeing him absolutely opening up with his body shape facing forward, ready to charge forward (12 o'clock) as soon as the ball moved in that direction.

In comparison with the Hawks the years prior they loved to build up higher uncontested possession via backwards exits from the contest via Mitchell and Hodge sitting at 6 O'clock and build up the easy pass / possession

Swannie back in the day at the Pies also similar accumulator out the back

In the AFL team i played in our ruckman used to say what part of the clock he would be trying to hit the ball towards - 12, 9, 6, 3 o'clock so we knew where to open our body shape towards , ready for the quick exit
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 6th April 2021 at 02:36 PM.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    12 oclock in AFL, Soccer, Basketball etc is moving towards / anticipating the attacking goal side

We saw the Bulldogs in 2016 trying as hard as they could to exit / move the ball forward with players charging into the space just forward of the contest / 12 o'clock

Richmond similar last few years

Now the Swans are trying to exit contests, tap towards the attacking goal side / 12 o'clock

That goal by "The Chad" you could seeing him absolutely opening up with his body shape facing forward, ready to charge forward (12 o'clock) as soon as the ball moved in that direction.

In comparison with the Hawks the years prior they loved to build up higher uncontested possession via backwards exits from the contest via Mitchell and Hodge sitting at 6 O'clock and build up the easy pass / possession

Swannie back in the day at the Pies also similar accumulator out the back

In the AFL team i played in our ruckman used to say what part of the clock he would be trying to hit the ball towards - 12, 9, 6, 3 o'clock so we knew where to open our body shape towards , ready for the quick exit
    Thanks for the English-language version.

Titus has this to say

The Monday Knee Jerk Reaction: AFL Round Three - Titus O'Reily | Don’t have faith in yourself

Tigers fans will be hoping this was the wake-up call their team needed, while Swans fans will spend the week wondering how you can possibly fit Buddy Franklin, an honest trier, into this star-studded forward line.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Titus has this to say

The Monday Knee Jerk Reaction: AFL Round Three - Titus O'Reily | Don’t have faith in yourself

Tigers fans will be hoping this was the wake-up call their team needed, while Swans fans will spend the week wondering how you can possibly fit Buddy Franklin, an honest trier, into this star-studded forward line.
    Thought this was his best line.

"...the longer this went on, the less interested in the game St Kilda appeared to be. There were children in the stands on iPads, more interested in the game than a lot of Saints players."

Veteran Site Admin
    Coaches' votes, R3: 10-vote Tex surges clear, Swans dominate

Richmond v Sydney
    10 Sam Wicks (SYD)
    7 Tom Papley (SYD)
    4 Jordan Dawson (SYD)
    4 Tom Hickey (SYD)
    2 Oliver Florent (SYD)
    2 Chad Warner (SYD)
    1 Callum Mills (SYD)

I confess I'm a little surprised to see Wicks with the maximum votes. Not that he wasn't good. He played his role beautifully. But his goals were him getting on the end of great work from other players (and the Richmond defence not seeming to realise he was playing).

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Coaches' votes, R3: 10-vote Tex surges clear, Swans dominate

Richmond v Sydney
    10 Sam Wicks (SYD)
    7 Tom Papley (SYD)
    4 Jordan Dawson (SYD)
    4 Tom Hickey (SYD)
    2 Oliver Florent (SYD)
    2 Chad Warner (SYD)
    1 Callum Mills (SYD)

I confess I'm a little surprised to see Wicks with the maximum votes. Not that he wasn't good. He played his role beautifully. But his goals were him getting on the end of great work from other players (and the Richmond defence not seeming to realise he was playing).
    I'm not surprised, but I wouldn't have been surprised, if any of the next five on the list had ended up being the leading vote getter. And I wouldn't have been surprised if another four or five players, not on that list, had received a vote or two. There were very good performances throughout the team.

And as far as I can tell, Warner was the only rising star eligible player, to receive a vote in the round. So, probably looking good for another nomination.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Some fascinating stats on OTC tonight, not all of which I confess I understood. But they mentioned our "post-clearance pressure" - which appeared to apply specifically to acts performed after a clearance - had been outstanding. As well, our kicking rating (as opposed to simple efficiency, as it takes into account the difficulty of the kick) was now #1 in competition. Speaking of which, how long will it be before Erol is tagged? I've never been so excited about the ball being in the hands of a guy playing his third game - every time he touches it, he seems to break the game wide open.
    Don't think anyone has posted this article which shares/explains several of the stats quoted on OTC last night: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...1c589828cb64ee