Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Pre-match Discussion: Round 4 V Bombers @SCG

Disposal efficiency is a relatively dated metric, but one of the few we have access to. Any kick over 40m is marked as an efficient disposal - which is not very representative of real use.
    There's a weighted metric, where kick difficulty is measured and factored in. This was the one that Adam Treloar was rated 3rd worst in the league.

To the naked eye, our kicking has improved a lot over the past 5 years with the types of players we're bringing in. We're giving up clearances (where rushed kicks occur) and winning the footy back after the contest. Then being very measured in our use. So, our degree of kick difficulty (mainly pressure and to contests) would be well down year on year.

It's very noticeable the difference in kicking options by age. Kennedy and Parker appear more willing to just get it on the boot and get it long when under pressure. Whereas Gulden and Campbell put more emphasis on kicking to a target.

Damien Hardwick has now called on the umpires to keep an eye on our short kicking distance ! This man is ridiculous. I guess he needs these distractions to keep the media off from analysing what is wrong with his team.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    $1.19 seems a bit short to me. $1.35 is more like it. We don't tend to roll over the Bombers. I'm doing my patriotic duty and getting
    on Adam Scott at $60 to win the Masters. If I win I'll buy one of those 8 bedroom houses in Geelong and let Chris Scott, his barber,
    Tom Hawkins and Tom's dad stay there for free. After all, all Chris wants is "a level playing field". It's the least I can do.
    And then there is the great meeting at Randwick on Saturday. Lots of investment opportunities.
    Good luck in establishing the Tigers Home For Wayward Cats.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Damien Hardwick has now called on the umpires to keep an eye on our short kicking distance ! This man is ridiculous. I guess he needs these distractions to keep the media off from analysing what is wrong with his team.
    That is pathetic and really quite amusing. If that is the only thing he could come up with then he's really struggling. Why would you even bother mentioning this? It stinks of desperation. Yes Damien, this is our secret tactic to decimate your team in front of your home crowd, we rely on our short kicks to not be policed properly. Can't believe he figured it out so fast, damn.

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    Not sure if anyone has any feelings about how the weather may affect our style of play, as compared to previous weeks. Personally, I feel that with the pressure that Essendon are certain to bring and the wet conditions either directly through rain or indirectly through the ground moisture, indicate that our short passing game and run through the corridor must be affected. Formerly, because the ball will be more difficult to control both from the player kicking and the player marking. Secondly, as we all know from the past the centre wicket area at the SCG is diabolical in the wet, players losing their footing and just staying upright can cause real concern and you'll recall seeing a number of players treading cautiously rather than running with confidence. Dane slipping at a critical time in a Hawthorn game comes to mind.
    That being said the Bombers have a younger team than we do and quite a few that have never played at our home, so in that respect at least we may have an advantage. What worries me most is Franklin running around in slippery conditions, lots of ground balls in our forward half with three talls and the distinct possibility of Stringer getting loose with the ball hard to mark or spoil conclusively, he has hurt us in the past and his talent and speed to contests may be telling in a close game.
    I know this is the least positive take possible but we have had such a huge build up that I'm still glass half empty at this stage.
    Wet conditions have worried me in the past, but we handled those conditions well at the Gabba in round one. While we didn't get the predicted deluge, it had been raining for most of the week, so it was slippery. In fact, some of the excellent ball movement, in those conditions, was probably what impressed me most about the win.

Up forward, while the conditions may not suit Buddy, I think our small forwards will continue on their merry way.

I am sure the whinge about short kicking is a tactic to keep the umpires honest and prevent other teams using the same tactic against their zone defence. We outplayed them on many many parts and had a good grasp on the game plan. The important aspect was kick Mark, short long kicks to keep them guessing, spread of our midfield to prevent congestion causing turn overs that Richmond favour and then obviously our pressure.
    Dimma is just being a coach trying to protect his own side against one element of the tactic.

Just looking at Essendon side, they have many tall players > 190 cm on their list. Their defence has a good group of talls. And they are zippy small in the middle. We need to cut the influence of Darcy Parish and Zach Merrett in this game. If we go up 4-0 with a 9 day break coming up, we are all the chance to go 6-0 up. Don’t want to jinx it though.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Wet conditions have worried me in the past, but we handled those conditions well at the Gabba in round one. While we didn't get the predicted deluge, it had been raining for most of the week, so it was slippery. In fact, some of the excellent ball movement, in those conditions, was probably what impressed me most about the win.

Up forward, while the conditions may not suit Buddy, I think our small forwards will continue on their merry way.
    Am I missing something as I am down in Melbourne where it is 30 degrees and sunny today, but the weather forecast for tonight's game at SCG is for mainly fine weather with the chance of rain? There seems a good chance that slippery should not come into it?

Summary[http://www]Max 26Shower or two. Possible storm.Chance of any rain: 60% [http://www]

Sydney area

Partly cloudy. Medium (60%) chance of showers and the chance of a thunderstorm, becoming less likely in the late afternoon and evening. Light winds.

It rained last evening - Sydney thunderstorm but it has been fine all day.
    Possible moisture in ground but definitely not boggy or even muddy

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    That is pathetic and really quite amusing. If that is the only thing he could come up with then he's really struggling. Why would you even bother mentioning this? It stinks of desperation. Yes Damien, this is our secret tactic to decimate your team in front of your home crowd, we rely on our short kicks to not be policed properly. Can't believe he figured it out so fast, damn.
    It's so odd, that I'm wondering if he was misquoted?He was quite gracious after the match. And I don't recall thinking during the match, 'well, that only travelled about 10 metres, so we were lucky to get away with that'. And umpires usually keep an eye on whether a kick went 15 metres or not. And it's not illegal to kick a ball less than 15 metres; it's just that you shouldn't claim a mark. And what was really cutting them up, was our rapid ball movement and the unpredictable nature of where we were going to kick it to; not kicking it short and then going back behind the mark.

So, I do hope that's a misquote. If not, it's a sign that he's no longer processing the defeat well and he's dwelling on things, that he really shouldn't be dwelling on.

Senior Player
    Richmond are poor losers with the coach no exception.. On Saturday when we were right on top, Tiger supporters were snarling at the umps and some of it was aimed at the distance of our short passes. Lots of squealing due to bring spoiled by their recent success.

On a different topic, I've started wondering if we will start getting more frees due to now being a young glamour team? Just a thought but wouldn't surprise me.

Senior Player
    What did he say, exactly? Did the Swans consistently kick it shorter than the 15m required for a mark?

Does anyone know why this match has been dubbed the Peter Filandia Cup?