Thread: Brownlow corruption investigation

Veterans List

Brownlow corruption investigation

So a field umpire has been arrested along with three mates over betting on individual AFL games Brownlow voting he had officiated in, wow

Was disappointed to later hear he was junior, was hoping it was one of those three cheating bastards from the 2016 GF!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    .........was hoping it was one of those three cheating bastards from the 2016 GF!!!
    Lol, weren’t we all!

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    So a field umpire has been arrested along with three mates over betting on individual AFL games Brownlow voting he had officiated in, wow

Was disappointed to later hear he was junior, was hoping it was one of those three cheating bastards from the 2016 GF!!!
    More likely they'll be bestowed with knighthoods
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Wow - does this vindicate those on this site that claim the umps are cheats?

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8505F using Tapatalk

Senior Player

Brownlow corruption investigation

Lots of articles today about police investigation into corruption.

Some of our posters defend the umpires and say they are doing a difficult job and aren’t corrupt or biased against non-Melbourne teams.

That would be true of most umpires, but it there are some that are involved in illegal betting collusion (revealing votes or even giving votes to players after being bribed to do so), then it is reasonable to assume that there are other aspects of their integrity and judgement that can also be questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocker View Post
    Wow - does this vindicate those on this site that claim the umps are cheats?

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8505F using Tapatalk
    No. While I have been unhappy about umpiring decisions it does not mean that all umpires can't be trusted. I believe there is one umpire at the centre of controversy, not all.

Passing on information is different to deliberately changing the outcome of a match too.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Passing on information is different to deliberately changing the outcome of a match too.
    Passing on information has been used as a "gateway" event, leading the participant towards spot and then match fixing in other sports.

If a serious criminal had gotten wind of this umpire's action, you'd have to think the next step would have involved a slightly more corrupt action undertaken under the threat of exposure of the original information leak.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Passing on information has been used as a "gateway" event, leading the participant towards spot and then match fixing in other sports.

If a serious criminal had gotten wind of this umpire's action, you'd have to think the next step would have involved a slightly more corrupt action undertaken under the threat of exposure of the original information leak.
    With Criminal Enterprise the money would be untraceable unless you have a Forensic Accountant. Most investigative units of the police force do not have them on staff. They need to be brought in and many units will not cough up the expense.

So, if there was a corrupt, or a group of corrupt, umpire/s then they would be very difficult to trace due to a very convuted money trail that their name is never involved in. Organised Crime bodies are very sophisticated corporations these days. They have many legitimate companies ranging from fashion to food (hiding drugs) to electrical (drugs) to construction (hiding bodies). They make huge legitimate profits as well as their nefarious profits from drugs etc. This allows them to more easily launder the nefarious profits.

So, if Organised Crime wanted to impact the outcome of a game I'm sure it could easily be achieved. From bribing players, umpires, officials etc.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    More likely they'll be bestowed with knighthoods
    Yep....from the AFL's 'betting partner'. If this isn't a warning to the league that their economic relationship with this scummy industry, which contributes NOTHING to society, is tainted and immoral.....nothing will.

So I'm guessing nothing will change on that score. The umpire however should be sacked.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Lots of articles today about police investigation into corruption.

Some of our posters defend the umpires and say they are doing a difficult job and aren’t corrupt or biased against non-Melbourne teams.

That would be true of most umpires, but it there are some that are involved in illegal betting collusion (revealing votes or even giving votes to players after being bribed to do so), then it is reasonable to assume that there are other aspects of their integrity and judgement that can also be questioned.
    I agree....it absolutely is.

So in conclusion … whenever anyone complains about corrupt umpiring, they are always 100% correct.

Well assuming they are Swans supporters anyway

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    This umpire was in his second year in the AFL, where the minimum salary in 2022 was almost $120,000 - hard to comprehend such stupidity.