Page 187 of 198 FirstFirst ... 87137177183184185186187188189190191197 ... LastLast
Results 2,233 to 2,244 of 2366

Thread: 2022 List management, trading, drafting

I have seen MM coach at the GWS Academy

I really hope he has level jumped since then t9 get the best out our emerging players

Veterans List
    The 2023 AFL Academy intake of 30 players includes two of our academy players, Lachlan Cabor and Caiden Cleary. Three from the Gold Coast, didn't see any from GWS

Someone with knowledge of them may wish to comment on these two players

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    I have seen MM coach at the GWS Academy

I really hope he has level jumped since then t9 get the best out our emerging players
    I don't know when that was that you saw Mark McVeigh coaching the GWS Academy. If it was a few months ago then it's not looking good, but I'm thinking that it was probably many years ago in which time Spike has continued working and growing as a coach (even coaching the Giants senior AFL side for half this season), so chances are he's probably evolved and learned a fair bit.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Agree BS

I suppose what scared me at the time was where his baseline was at.

Nothing like a parabolic curve of development and professionalism .....up and to the right ✅️ 👌

The Mongrel Punt has a list of the 20 best under 20 and we’ve got 3 (paywalled)

McDonald (20)
    Campbell (16)
    Errol (2)

The Top 20 Aged 20-Or-Under - The Mongrel Punt

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    The Mongrel Punt has a list of the 20 best under 20 and we’ve got 3 (paywalled)

McDonald (20)
    Campbell (16)
    Errol (2)

The Top 20 Aged 20-Or-Under - The Mongrel Punt

Who was #1 - Daicos? Interesting that they've rated Campbell ahead of McDonald. Interesting also that both of those are in their top 20 given that they don't yet have many runs on the board. I guess that's the way it is when you're still in your first two seasons. Did JUH, Thilthorpe and Tanner Bruhn make the list? I reckon Rachele deserves to be high up. Holmes, Amiss, Gibcus, Ward and Hollands should also feature on the list somewhere.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    According to the AFL draft pick allocation, we have 5 main list vacancies.

Is it only McLean we must upgrade or is there another?

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    According to the AFL draft pick allocation, we have 5 main list vacancies.

Is it only McLean we must upgrade or is there another?
    Fox, McCartin

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Fox, McCartin

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk
    Neither Fox nor McCartin has to be upgraded. A player can spend three seasons on the rookie list after being initially placed there. Fox has now spent two, McCartin one. (Remembering that Fox was on the senior list for a while before being delisted and placed back on the rookie list at the start of 2021.)

McLean and Wicks have both had three years on the rookie list.

Veterans List
    So it's McLean and Wicks who have to be upgraded leaving us to use our first three picks at the ND.

Gives us a Cat A rookie list of up to four (Fox, McCartin) plus up to two? Cat B which I assume are Sheather and McAndrew? How do others read it?

BTW, we're not the only group of supporters trying to work out list permutations, seems to be most clubs.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    So it's McLean and Wicks who have to be upgraded leaving us to use our first three picks at the ND.

Gives us a Cat A rookie list of up to four (Fox, McCartin) plus up to two? Cat B which I assume are Sheather and McAndrew? How do others read it?

BTW, we're not the only group of supporters trying to work out list permutations, seems to be most clubs.
    McAndrew is not, never was a Cat B rookie. He was taken in the MSD and thus would have been put onto the Cat A rookie list. Even if he might have been put onto the Cat B list, we had our full quota of two at the time (O'Connor and Sheather).

I don't know for sure, but I suspect the list spots determined by the AFL have already taken account of rookie upgrades.

The list spots available in the ND assume that a club will fill its senior list to the maximum capacity - ie 38. In most recent years, the Swans have chosen to hold a smaller senior list (36) and thus a larger rookie list (6). If they go that way again, you would expect them to take three picks and pass on the last two.

The Cat B rookie list is in addition to the maximum of six allowed on the Cat A list (or four if a club has a senior list of 38). I have no idea if Sheather remains a Cat B rookie. Normally a player is only allowed to spend two years as at Cat B rookie but the club might have applied for permission to leave him there for another season.

We already hold four on the Cat A rookie list (assuming Sheather remains a Cat B rookie, and Wicks and McLean are now on the senior list) - McAndrew and HHK in addition to the two you mention.

So our likely full quota of picks will be three onto the senior list, two onto the Cat A list and maybe one onto the Cat B list. (Will Edwards is the only one nominated at this stage, though there may be others eligible to join the Cat B list once the ND is over and the rookie draft about to start.)

As a check, you can balance the ins and outs - Kennedy, Naismith, Bell, Sinclair, Ronke, O'Riordan out from the senior list. Francis, Wicks and McLean in. Net decrease of 3.
    Taylor, Wicks and McLean out from the Cat A list, Hall-Kahan in (as he wasn't included in list numbers at the start of the year). Net decrease of 2.
    O'Connor off the Cat B list. Net decrease of 1.

So if the club keeps the composition of the list the same as last year, that leaves us with the ability to add three to the senior list, two to the Cat A rookie list and one to the Cat B rookie list. Which is the same answer as arrived at above.
    Last edited by liz; 22nd November 2022 at 02:36 PM.

Veterans List
    Have you got it all on a whiteboard Liz? Seems the only way to keep track of lists.

The draft picks seem to be allocated before upgrades as Adelaide has three picks but will only take one player because the other two spots are needed for two upgrades.

That would indicate we can use three at the ND and the other two are for McLean and Wicks. We're a long way down the pecking order in the RD, pick 17.

Be easier if the club just posted a pic of their whiteboard for us all to see LOL All be much clearer in eight days time.