Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Round 1: Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans @ Marvel Stadium

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    He certainly was but I wouldn’t drop him . He’s shown what he can do in the 2’s, needs an extended crack in the 1’s now. He wasn’t alone in being poor last night ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1

Lots of obvious negatives in that game, but I was very impressed with the fight back in the last quarter.

Balance of the team does seem off - and looked that way on paper too.

Annoyed that the throw for that last goal wasn’t paid (looking at the replay, the umpire near the boundary had turned his head right at that moment - not sure if he was the officiating one). Bewildered it was not mentioned by the commentators - it was an obvious free kick to the Swans.

The Dogs were much slicker over the course of the game - and yet we nearly won. I will take the positive role at this early juncture.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    To many players that are coming back from injuries was my take on the game. Some have not realised that the game has changed and they need to adjust their playing style. (Perhaps our plan was. If everything went well, they players would not need to train hard and improve for the rest of the season.)

I will be looking for improvement, as the weeks roll on. If the Swans are 3-3 after 6 rounds then we are ok. Any less and I will be worried for the season.

Game has changed and Swans will change. Typically, we are slow learners and it will take a while to re-educate new game plans. I am hopeful that the Swans have a plan b, c or d up someone’s sleeve. And they implement it soon... Because if we don’t, it will be a long winter and with game of thrones may be the only high point...

BTW
    Any chance the hammer can be stuck somewhere less pleasant, for dogs fans next time please .... be your own superhero’s and play with intensity for 100 minutes!
    We still just bomb the ball on the top of our forward's heads. Bomb to Buddy one out against three. Same old same old predictable game plan. Nothing much has changed. The players in the exit meetings apparently identified the game plan as being a problem. So I can see players deserting a sinking ship sooner rather than later. Probably why Lloyd only took a two year deal.

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    Lots of obvious negatives in that game, but I was very impressed with the fight back in the last quarter.

Balance of the team does seem off - and looked that way on paper too.

Annoyed that the throw for that last goal wasn’t paid (looking at the replay, the umpire near the boundary had turned his head right at that moment - not sure if he was the officiating one). Bewildered it was not mentioned by the commentators - it was an obvious free kick to the Swans.

The Dogs were much slicker over the course of the game - and yet we nearly won. I will take the positive role at this early juncture.
    The comeback is a positive in the sense that it shows the team hasn't forgotten how to play football, though I wonder whether the greater effort by the Dogs in the first half meant they were more fatigued and whether this helped the Swans gain the ascendency around the ground.

It's a negative in the sense that we have no answer to the question that has plagued the team for a few seasons now - why aren't they able to sustain a good level of effort for an entire game, rather than relying on a super level of endeavour for a short period of the game? Is it physical? If so, you'd expect to see them over-run towards the end of games, rather than start sluggishly and then come back with a head of steam.

That suggests there must be mental elements to it (unless the comeback is explained purely by the Dogs fatiguing more).

The balance of the team did seem to be an issue - as you say, it looked off before the game began. Certainly one too many tall defenders and maybe too tall up foward as well, though the limited supply to the forward line for much of the game makes that hard to assess. It also didn't help that two of our players who ought to be able to run were largely unsighted, in Dawson and Florent. With the benefit of hindsight, the short interruption that Florent suffered in his pre-season might have warranted a run in the reserves.

I also think the Swans need to make up their minds on the primary roles/positions of a couple of players. The selection of three tall defenders (plus Rampe) meant that it wasn't clear how they intended to use Aliir. When they made up their mind he belonged in the backline in the second half, he looked like that's where he belonged.

And they've been tantalising us with where to use Mills for a couple of seasons now. He was very effective in the midfield in the practice game against the Giants, but then as the JLT wore on, he seemed to move more and more back to playing as a defender. And that's where he started last night. They claim they went out and recruited Thurlow to free Mills up to play in the midfield, so why not pick Thurlow and play Mills in the midfield for an extended period to see how it pans out?

We have all the pre season to adjust to the rule changes and we still think it is ok to do 20 metre sideway kicks from the kick in. It only creates pressure on players up the ground and limits our ability to create the loose man. Lloyd, Rampe and McVeigh did it continuously last night - very frustrating

- - - Updated - - -

For those bagging Melican (yes he did appear slow) but the way the dogs moved the ball quickly out of the middle to a leading forward does make it pretty hard on the defenders. I suspect Melican had more telling spoils than all of our other defenders combined. There is a lesson there for our midfielders - win it, spread and move it quickly to a leading forward

- - - Updated - - -

For those bagging Melican (yes he did appear slow) but the way the dogs moved the ball quickly out of the middle to a leading forward does make it pretty hard on the defenders. I suspect Melican had more telling spoils than all of our other defenders combined. There is a lesson there for our midfielders - win it, spread and move it quickly to a leading forward

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The comeback is a positive in the sense that it shows the team hasn't forgotten how to play football, though I wonder whether the greater effort by the Dogs in the first half meant they were more fatigued and whether this helped the Swans gain the ascendency around the ground.

It's a negative in the sense that we have no answer to the question that has plagued the team for a few seasons now - why aren't they able to sustain a good level of effort for an entire game, rather than relying on a super level of endeavour for a short period of the game? Is it physical? If so, you'd expect to see them over-run towards the end of games, rather than start sluggishly and then come back with a head of steam.

That suggests there must be mental elements to it (unless the comeback is explained purely by the Dogs fatiguing more).

The balance of the team did seem to be an issue - as you say, it looked off before the game began. Certainly one too many tall defenders and maybe too tall up foward as well, though the limited supply to the forward line for much of the game makes that hard to assess. It also didn't help that two of our players who ought to be able to run were largely unsighted, in Dawson and Florent. With the benefit of hindsight, the short interruption that Florent suffered in his pre-season might have warranted a run in the reserves.

I also think the Swans need to make up their minds on the primary roles/positions of a couple of players. The selection of three tall defenders (plus Rampe) meant that it wasn't clear how they intended to use Aliir. When they made up their mind he belonged in the backline in the second half, he looked like that's where he belonged.

And they've been tantalising us with where to use Mills for a couple of seasons now. He was very effective in the midfield in the practice game against the Giants, but then as the JLT wore on, he seemed to move more and more back to playing as a defender. And that's where he started last night. They claim they went out and recruited Thurlow to free Mills up to play in the midfield, so why not pick Thurlow and play Mills in the midfield for an extended period to see how it pans out?
    As you so often do Liz, you summed it up really well, in particular around those few players that do not seem to have had a decision made as to their permanent role. I would add Papley and Dawson to that as well. In particular Papley I just don't feel he should play midfield as his kick in general play just isn't good enough. He can get a bit of contested possession but that doesn't help if you can only back it away.

Dawson to me has some potential to play midfield, but I really think at this stage half forward is where he should play.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    We have all the pre season to adjust to the rule changes and we still think it is ok to do 20 metre sideway kicks from the kick in. It only creates pressure on players up the ground and limits our ability to create the loose man. Lloyd, Rampe and McVeigh did it continuously last night - very frustrating

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair , I watched one of the footy shows recently that discussed the new kick in rules and the impact they had in the JLT. It was minimal, most teams still opted for the short chip kick from the kick in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    +1
    +1 for me too. I will do my nana if someone like Dawson is dropped for Jack.
    As I have alluded to in another post, a call on the merits of our current lineup moving forward needs to be made early in the season. If we look like only challenging for a mid table finish, let's keep / bring in the younger players, give them defined roles to play and back them by not dropping them after one bad game. If they are not up to it, then look to trade / draft for the future, in particular in the midfield. It may not be pretty but we need to undergo renewal if we are to eventually challenge for the flag.

I really hope that the coaches have planned for a slow start to the season in the expectation that we will peak at the end of the season. It looked like that because so many players seemed underdone. There were a few players who put in poor games but I don't necessarily think that they need to be dropped. We need to show faith in our best 22 and give them time to find form.

I still think our biggest issue is that we don't have an elite midfielder who can accumulate possessions, has great disposal by foot and can evade the traffic in stoppages. Someone like Coniglio would be perfect be he will probably be going to Victoria. A lack of high draft picks over the last 15 years is hitting us hard. Yes, I know that Heeney and Mills were high draft selections but we haven't been able to draft on our needs with those selections. Our gameplan is way too slow and stagnant. I don't know how much of this can be attributed to poor coaching and how much can be attributed towards not having the right cattle to get the job done.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

Good points, particularly re Thurlow and Mills. Grundy replaced by Thurlow might resolve a couple of those issues. I think they need to give Mills a proper go in the midfield.

Speaking of odd comments, Longmire mentioned Clarke's attributes as including the capacity to gut-run late, highlighting his fitness. But then he played less time on the ground than any other Swan. I'd replace him with Ronke.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Good points, particularly re Thurlow and Mills. Grundy replaced by Thurlow might resolve a couple of those issues. I think they need to give Mills a proper go in the midfield.

Speaking of odd comments, Longmire mentioned Clarke's attributes as including the capacity to gut-run late, highlighting his fitness. But then he played less time on the ground than any other Swan. I'd replace him with Ronke.
    I'd replace one of Grundy or Melican with COR to provide a bit more run. I'd replace Mills in defence with Thurlow to play the role he was recruited to play.

On yesterday's evidence, there are a few from the midfield that you could drop to move Mills into the onball brigade but I'd start by moving Papley to play predominantly as a forward (with short bursts onball as a relief midfielder, something I think will benefit his development and help the team, but mean he spends more of the game in the forward line, adding crumbing power and pressure). Then I'd drop one of the "medium forwards/half-forwards to enable this switch - Hayward, Blakey or Dawson. No comments on which one at this stage. We don't have enough evidence of their current "form" and all are talented and young. I'd like them all to get more opportunities. My observations are based purely on team balance, rather than the abilities of the individuals.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    We still just bomb the ball on the top of our forward's heads. Bomb to Buddy one out against three. Same old same old predictable game plan. Nothing much has changed. The players in the exit meetings apparently identified the game plan as being a problem. So I can see players deserting a sinking ship sooner rather than later. Probably why Lloyd only took a two year deal.

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk
    Thought Lloyd signed for four years

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast