Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Academy Talent for 2016

Academy Talent for 2016

I keep on hearing that we have no academy kids worth drafting this year and then I read an article in the Murdoch rag today that lists all the GWS talent that they are going to stockpile.

Then I read we beat GWS 3-0 in the Academy Challenge and I read we are holding our own in the NSW/ACT squad at about 50/50 with the AFL love-child's "Academy" players (the one they do no development work with)

So, I'm think maybe we are foxing and our young kids aren't actually that bad.

QBE Sydney Swans Academy
    Nathan Cooper
    Hamish MacDonald
    Liam Maze
    Joe Stapleton
    Luke Robertson
    Harry Carr
    Ben Davis
    Jake Brown
    Angus Baker
    Sam Barkley
    James Bell
    Max Lower
    Will Gowers
    Jack Mapleson
    Jack Hardman

Will Gowers played in the intra-club and looked OK for a young lad and I've hear young Hardman is OK.

Anyone else got any mail on the Swans academy kids?

Veteran Site Admin
    A handful of those kids earned themselves NEAFL games last season as 16/17 year olds. Brown looked very assured at that level for an under aged player as a medium sized nuggety midfielder. Ben Davis is Abe's younger brother and he played at least one NEAFL game last year. He's a bit shorter than Abe (or was - he might have grown now) but has nearly as good a head of hair!

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    J Brown is many things but nuggety is the least word I would use for Jake, very lean is my view and needs muscle..

If like a nugget look at the U18 Rams list and mark down Max Lower. Fearless, solid player.

Veteran Site Admin
    My use of "nuggety" was more my impression of his style of play - ie as someone with not overly silky skills but who puts his head over the ball and can win his own contested possessions. I would describe most of Sydney's current senior midfield as "nuggety".

Very interesting Liz and how different people see different things. I watched a lot of Jake in juniors and his kicking was elite. He can win his own ball, when needed, but I see Jake as a Lloyd, Robbo, Hewett type of player, a link player with good decisions and skills.

Jack Hardman is a very smart footy player but I haven't watched him in the last couple of years.

Hi posters

Just get some stats for the first U18 RAMS TAC CUP game.

Have coloured a few categories and Swans Academy players in the blue.

DE% is 'Black Magic' and I just used the stats.

Starting Positions:
    Will Gowers - Rover/Centre
    Max Lower - Rover/Centre
    Jack Hardman - Forward Pocket
    Liam Maze - Ruck
    Jake Brown - Bench
    Harry Carr - Centre Half Back
    Joe Stapleton - Back pocket (not on field or bench but empty spot on field!!!)
    Jack Mapleson - Wing
    Hamish Macdonald - Back Pocket
    Sam Barkley - Bench
    Luke Robertson - Full Back

1st U18 RAMS Game 2016.jpg

Veteran Site Admin
    Is 'B Davis' not also a Swans' academy player? Unless there is another B Davis from the Giants' zones, this would have to be Ben, Abe's brother, who is a Swans' academy player.

Just a few notes from the weekend RAMS games. Swans Academy Players in BOLD. (Best effort to try to confirm)

The U16 NSW/ACT Rams and the U17/18 development squad traveled to Darwin for separate matches against the Northern Territory.

U17/U18s Development Game: NSW/ACT dominated from the bounce to run away with a very convincing victory by 190 points.

Final score: NSW/ACT 29.18 (192) defeated Northern Territory 0.2 (2).

Goals: Jake Brown 5, Jack Hardman 3, Jacob Turner 3, Harry Carr 3, Connor Byrne 2, Connor Owen-Auburn 2, Brenden Myers 2, Luke Skrivanic 2, Will Gowers 2, Liam Maze, Brandon Clark, Sam Wicks, Tom Highmore, Nicholas Shipley.

Best: Jake Brown, Connor Byrne, Liam Maze, Jack Hardman, Jacob Turner, Will Gowers.

Round 1 NAB AFL U16 National Championships: It was a tight contest between the NSW/ACT Rams and the Northern Territory side up until half-time, however NSW/ACT Rams were victorious by 46 points.

Final score: NSW/ACT 12.16 (88) defeated Northern Territory 5.12 (42)

Goals: Jai Reed 4, Matt Walker 3, Jackson Carmody 2, Shaydan Close 2, Jeromy Lucas

Best: Chris Holten, Jack Rowston, Riley Corbett, Nick Blakey, Max Beaumont, Ben Kelly.

Quote Originally Posted by WauchopeAnalyst View Post
    Just a few notes from the weekend RAMS games. Swans Academy Players in BOLD. (Best effort to try to confirm)

The U16 NSW/ACT Rams and the U17/18 development squad traveled to Darwin for separate matches against the Northern Territory.

U17/U18s Development Game: NSW/ACT dominated from the bounce to run away with a very convincing victory by 190 points.

Final score: NSW/ACT 29.18 (192) defeated Northern Territory 0.2 (2).

Goals: Jake Brown 5, Jack Hardman 3, Jacob Turner 3, Harry Carr 3, Connor Byrne 2, Connor Owen-Auburn 2, Brenden Myers 2, Luke Skrivanic 2, Will Gowers 2, Liam Maze, Brandon Clark, Sam Wicks, Tom Highmore, Nicholas Shipley.

Best: Jake Brown, Connor Byrne, Liam Maze, Jack Hardman, Jacob Turner, Will Gowers.

Round 1 NAB AFL U16 National Championships: It was a tight contest between the NSW/ACT Rams and the Northern Territory side up until half-time, however NSW/ACT Rams were victorious by 46 points.

Final score: NSW/ACT 12.16 (88) defeated Northern Territory 5.12 (42)

Goals: Jai Reed 4, Matt Walker 3, Jackson Carmody 2, Shaydan Close 2, Jeromy Lucas

Best: Chris Holten, Jack Rowston, Riley Corbett, Nick Blakey, Max Beaumont, Ben Kelly.
    I'm not totally up to speed with the U18s but I think Brown, Hardman and Gowers are top of a weak to mid crop before we start to take off next year. I could see us maybe to get one draft and two rookie slots.

And some stories re young Holten

Century milestone for Holten - AFL NSW / ACT

Endeavour High program assists rising stars | St George & Sutherland Shire Leader

No news on young Tyrell Mayfield from anyone?

Veteran Site Admin
    I hope the Swans have been able to convert Holten from his Giants allegiance since that first article was written (in 2012).

The great thing about the academy is we know these kids inside out, we know who has upside and who are flat track bullies. We know which ones like a drink and smoke and have potential to become lairs and we know the ones that will be model pros.

Will Gowers played most of the pre-season at Henson and went OK, he seemed like a good kid. Chunky in the old style, whether he has the speed and/or engine we'd be pretty sure about. Hardman seems to get a lot of wraps around the traps and looking at his facebook page he seems like a confident but very good kid from a good family. Sad I know, I am now stalking our academy players online

A number of these kids are running around in the local u/19 comp from time to time and whilst they are "good" players they are not in the same league as Heeny and Mills.
    I haven't seen every academy kid play but I would suggest that Swans may pick up on or two in the rookie draft but I can see any of them being picked up in the national draft.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast