Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heeney is Coaches 'Young POTY' winner..

Quote Originally Posted by LukeFree View Post
    The thought of a midfield with Heeney, Mills, Parker and Hannebery is reassuring for the future! I'd be interested to see if Mitchell sticks around should McVeigh call time on his career after 2017.
    I think it's time for Macca to retire gracefully. A year of fighting soft tissue injuries and mostly sub par performances is a fair indicator that he shouldn't go on. I hope he doesn't put his hand up this week unless he's 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    True but Joey, Kizza & Macca a won't be around forever. In 4 years I'd rather see Tom dishing off 30+ Hard won handballs off to Mills & Heeney in the middle of the ground, for beautiful delivery to the ageless Buddy and the aging Tippett, than having to find someone to tag Mitchell in brown & gold.

I love Macca myself, but how nice might it be to have him say, "Tom, I'm hanging them up, I've still got a season in my of fair footy, but you are the future of the club I have devoted myself to. Sign up. Here are the reigns."
    If we can slot Heeney and Mills to the midfield and trade Mitchell to Carlton for Tuohy (still only 26) and a good pick I probably wouldn't complain too much.
    I See It But I Don't Believe It!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I think it's time for Macca to retire gracefully. A year of fighting soft tissue injuries and mostly sub par performances is a fair indicator that he shouldn't go on. I hope he doesn't put his hand up this week unless he's 100%.
    His contract runs until the end of next year, so it will be interesting to see if he decides see it out. I think these discussions are being put on hold until the season is over, which is fair enough.

Veteran Site Admin
    I'd be surprised if it has occurred to McVeigh or anyone at the club that he might not play next year.

Warming the Bench
    McVeigh deserves his contract to be honoured for next year.
    But please, no longer Captain.
    If his form next season, purely as a player, warrants senior selection - good.
    If not - time to help develop our future players in the reserves.

I wonder if there is any chance that, with Heeney moving bit by bit into the midfield, and with Jones, Newman, hopefully O'Riordan and possibly Talia to fit into the backline, they will move Mills forward to fill the spot Heeney leaves behind? I think Mills would be a much better bet up forward than Jones or the other backline candidates.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12