Page 62 of 93 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Interesting article over the weekend which said that ‘Sydney asked the AFL for special dispensation which would have allowed superstar forward Lance Franklin access to the club during the shutdown period to minimise his chance of injury.’

Request refused and Franklin injured when club training resumed. Obviously this might have happened anyway, something no-one can judge with certainty.

However it seems to me it was pig-headed of the AFL not to allow medical staff at all Clubs (not just the Swans) to work with injured players/players in rehabilitation during the shutdown. You and I were allowed to seek medical advice & assistance as necessary during the iso period. In fact we were actively encouraged to do so, with concern expressed that people were staying away from doctors which would leave to serious medical issues later.

Surely the same should have applied to players with footy injuries.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...28-p54x8j.html
    I agree Meg. I think this may have come from the AFLPA, but has backfired.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Especially based on heresay.

But I do wonder why both codes are redoing deals at, what must be, their weakest negotiation time.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a lock for AFL.

I hope the AFL give that option of having a cutout figure of yourself at the game like the NRL has. I would pay $22 for that!
    Make sure you let us know which one is you, barry.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Make sure you let us know which one is you, barry.
    One of the issues with this board is you cant edit a post when on a mobile phone, so you have to just reply.
    Dont quite see how this is my fault, but whatever rocks you boat.

One of the issues with this board is you cant edit a post when on a mobile phone, so you have to just reply.
    I think you can edit it for about 20 minutes

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Interesting article over the weekend which said that ‘Sydney asked the AFL for special dispensation which would have allowed superstar forward Lance Franklin access to the club during the shutdown period to minimise his chance of injury.’

Request refused and Franklin injured when club training resumed. Obviously this might have happened anyway, something no-one can judge with certainty.

However it seems to me it was pig-headed of the AFL not to allow medical staff at all Clubs (not just the Swans) to work with injured players/players in rehabilitation during the shutdown. You and I were allowed to seek medical advice & assistance as necessary during the iso period. In fact we were actively encouraged to do so, with concern expressed that people were staying away from doctors which would lead to serious medical issues later.

Damn right Meg. If I were calling the shots I'd be inclined to write to the AFL by way of politely advising them as a matter of courtesy what we were doing rather than asking permission in what stands out as an obvious precaution to take.
    Pig-headed bastards.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Without redevelopment, I guess ANZ remains an AFL venue.

The Grand old lady of Australian sport has a few songs left in her yet.
    But none that the Swans will be singing.....😑

Veterans List

However it seems to me it was pig-headed of the AFL not to allow medical staff at all Clubs (not just the Swans) to work with injured players/players in rehabilitation during the shutdown. You and I were allowed to seek medical advice & assistance as necessary during the iso period. In fact we were actively encouraged to do so, with concern expressed that people were staying away from doctors which would lead to serious medical issues later.

I had the same discussion with my family yesterday after reading the article. It will be interesting to see how many other players recovering from injuries might have been affected due to not having physical contact with medical staff. I think back to the injuries I've had in the past and I know I would struggle without seeing a physio.

The AFL were obviously concerned about the spread of the virus when they made the decision but I think it will come back to bite them.

The AFL have handled it like they handle everything.

Senior Player
    Now I remember what I"m thinking of.

The unlamented Matt80.

Let's not go down that road again.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Without redevelopment, I guess ANZ remains an AFL venue.

- - - Updated - - -

The Grand old lady of Australian sport has a few songs left in her yet.
    This did make me giggle.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

While we can all clearly see and appreciate how V'Landys has become the driving force in Australian sport, making Gill look like the spoilt polo playing dill we all knew he was, the facts of the matter are that NSW and QLD AFL teams will become the immediate targets of a new agressive NRL. V'Landys will be gunning hard against us, and we need to prepare. He has a lot of fingers in a lot of pies in NSW and NSW government, and can influence a lot of things against the swans.

Some might say that GWS are under far more threat than us, but put yourself in V'Landys shoes. Killing off GWS wont really effect to many people and only save the AFL a few million a year. If he really wants to dent AFL in NSW he would target the swans. Weakening us, and forcing the AFL to merge GWS and Swans (I have heard that!) would also weaken the brand "Swans".

While we can all clearly see and appreciate how V'Landys has become the driving force in Australian sport, making Gill look like the spoilt polo playing dill we all knew he was, the facts of the matter are that NSW and QLD AFL teams will become the immediate targets of a new agressive NRL. V'Landys will be gunning hard against us, and we need to prepare. He has a lot of fingers in a lot of pies in NSW and NSW government, and can influence a lot of things against the swans.

Some might say that GWS are under far more threat than us, but put yourself in V'Landys shoes. Killing off GWS wont really effect to many people and only save the AFL a few million a year. If he really wants to dent AFL in NSW he would target the swans. Weakening us, and forcing the AFL to merge GWS and Swans (I have heard that!) would also weaken the brand "Swans".
    Some of the dribble posted on here makes me laugh. Driving force of Australian sport
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."